Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | W1SFR Portable Single Lever Key with Station Base Help

Reviews Summary for W1SFR Portable Single Lever Key with Station Base
W1SFR Portable Single Lever Key with Station Base Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $$225 (with Station Base)
Description: Designed to be used portable or back at the shack, this convertable key
designed by Steve Roberts/W1SFR uses a patent pending torsion bar
design that provides effortless sending in the field or back at the shack.
More info: http://w1sfr.com/torsion-bar-portable-key-the-tbp/

You can write your own review of the W1SFR Portable Single Lever Key with Station Base.

W8SDG Rating: 5/5 May 17, 2016 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Versatile Key  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I resisted temptation to buy one of W1SFR's single lever keys because I prefer having a hand free for coffee, knob twisting, or button pushing. When Steve added the stainless base to his portable key, I ordered right away. The key is excellent in use for me: light tension, tiny gap, no false dits or dahs, very quiet operation.

Only the gap is adjustable but changing the gap changes tension. I used a dynamometer to set 20 grams tension on each paddle and the result was competitive with the two single lever keys I happen to be using right now, Scheunemann Einhebel and Begali HST II. Light touch, quick action, easy to use for long QSOs. Only the W1SFR has wood handles, my preference.

But when I really get going, my fist is 'way too heavy and Steve's base was not heavy enough to keep the key from moving. So I e-mailed him for help and his solution was genius. Simply duplicate the base, adding a second layer. His stainless base is so accurately manufactured that I could connect them back to back wiith brass screws in the corner feet holes. Steve supplied the screws and a second set of screw-in feet with shorter stubs so everything fit right.

Now my W1SFR Portable SL Key doesn't go anywhere on my operating desk, but the base is still removable when I want to travel with the key in a case with my KX3.

KB3SII Rating: 5/5 May 2, 2016 12:56 Send this review to a friend
Smooth action, quiet, great workmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The W1SFR Torsion Bar Single Lever paddle is a first class key at an excellent price. It works well at all speeds, is virtually silent, and, with the stainless steel base, ideal for shack use. For those preferring single lever keys, they don't get any better. The design and workmanship is outstanding and it holds its adjustments.