Reviews Categories | Transmitters: Vintage amateur | Gonset GSB-100 Help

Reviews Summary for Gonset GSB-100
Reviews: 4 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: 80 thru 10 meter, AM-CW-SSB-PM transmitter.

You can write your own review of the Gonset GSB-100.

KD2JAU Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2017 20:18 Send this review to a friend
Battleship!  Time owned: more than 12 months
No other word to describe it! This was my first SSB rig (picked up used at the late lamented Harrison Radio in NYC: I traded in my beloved Eico 720/730 AM combo, and never looked back). As the review title suggests, this is a nearly-indestructible behemoth (in weight, if nothing else), and a Master Class in no-corners-cut design and manufacture, with one surprising (and delightful) exception: upon lifting the lid, I was amazed to find what looked like the back half of an ARC-5 transmitter, mounted as a sub-chassis in the right rear corner, complete with VFO shield can, right out of the old Command set! Either Gonset bought all the remaining ARC-5s, or paid the ultimate homage by copying the design. In any event, the rig did me proud, with a really pretty signal (a phasing rig, no less, at the height of the filter craze!), if one was willing to occasionally re-balance the modulators (~ every 6 months) through the front-panel-accessible balance pot holes. It was (and likely still is) the most reliable, stable (after 30 min), fun-to-run rig I've owned. In fact, I've used its tuneup procedure ever since, on any linear output stage (including 40 kw MIL-spec transmitters). Coolest feature was its spotting mode -- I could tune in a signal, throw the GSB into spot mode, un-mute the receiver, and just tune the GSB until my voice "sounded" the same as the incoming sig, and I'd be absolutely zero-beat; same with CW. It's earned an honored (and temporary, I swear) retirement here!

KE0ZU Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2017 20:00 Send this review to a friend
Been daily driver for years  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought it nine years ago and its been used almost every day since. Great old transmitter, and stable as a rock. I think it was the first all band, all mode HF transmitter.

It'll most likely be in my estate sale.

N8AUC Rating: 4/5 Dec 11, 2016 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Worked for me - way back when...  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I had one of these transmitters many years ago, probably around 1979 or so. It worked well for me. I ran it alongside a Heathkit Mohawk receiver. It was my first SSB transmitter when I upgraded to General. The VFO was pretty stable after a 30 min warmup. And it always made rated output power.

Never had to worry about anyone stealing it, since it weighed just a shade under 100 lbs all by itself. It made me think that GSB-100 meant it weighed 100 lbs.

73 de N8AUC
Eric

WA4NJY Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2016 11:50 Send this review to a friend
Nice transmitter.  Time owned: more than 12 months
For several years my main AM transmitter was a Johnson Valiant II. Very much hated to let it go, but the weight was a problem for me. I started looking for something lighter like a Ranger. Could not find anything nice. This Gonset was available locally. I had low expectations. The more I used it, the more I began to like it, more so than any Johnson Ranger I've had.
This one is in pristine condition so I can attest as to its performance as new. It is fairly stable even from a cold start, drifting about 150 cycles and returning to last operating frequency after 30 minutes. Has PTT, nice spotting feature, well made with good components throughout. The transformer has been replaced with a Dahl.