Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | TYT MD390 Help

Reviews Summary for TYT MD390
TYT MD390 Reviews: 7 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $175.99
Description: DMR Digital Handheld with IP67 Waterproof
More info: http://www.radioddity.com/us/tytera-tyt-md-390-dmr-digital-radio-waterproof-dustproof-ip67-walkie-talkie-transceiver-vhf-uhf-136-174-400-480mhz-two-way-radio.html

You can write your own review of the TYT MD390.

WA3HVR Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 17:54 Send this review to a friend
The DMR standard  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
While traveling recently, another ham installed a local codeplug into my md-390 and it worked well. He had a 380, but they use the same codeplug data. It seems that everybody I talk to has a 380 or 390. These things are a bargain and are single handedly responsible for the explosive growth of Dmr ham radio. I think the 390 has the looks and feel of a much more expensive product. Get one and enjoy Dmr until hf propagation returns. 73.

KC6AGL Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2017 13:05 Send this review to a friend
TYT MD390 - BEST VALUE DMR RADIO ON THE MARKET  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is much like its brother TYT MD380. It uses the same codeplug which a great thing. This radio is a the true worldwide DMR HT leader. I own 2 of them. I have tested this radio in the harshest environments -25F and it held up really well. This is the goto radio for me when I go mountaineering. I highly recommend this radio for any DMR application, it is great for commercial, business, private, government and mountaineering use. The radio is very reliable and it works every time.

KM9Q Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2017 15:51 Send this review to a friend
Great TX and RX audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am comparing this to the TYT-MD-380, which is the only other DMR radio I have owned. I use both thru a Shark RF Open Spot.

The MD-390 with GPS (which I have turned off) is slightly larger and has noticeably better TX and RX audio than the TYT-MD380, when using both radio's built in mic and speaker. I hate external mic's, headset's, etc. on handheld radios.

The TYT-MD380, in my opinion, has an easier and more durable system of connecting the battery to the radio, compared to the TYT-MD-390.

On the TYT-MD-390, the belt clip mounts to the radio, not the battery, and you must hook the battery under the belt clip, then hold down the bottom of the battery, and then close a small hinge.

For those who do not mind an external mic and speaker, decent audio can be had with the cheaper TYT-MD-380. But, for those like me who do not like external mic's and speakers on HT's, the TYT-MD-390 is the way to go.

The TX and RX audio on the TYT-MD390, according to me and others that I talk to regularly, is top notch--right up there with the EXPENSIVE radios!

N7DKL Rating: 4/5 Aug 7, 2016 15:32 Send this review to a friend
Great radio for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the UHF version to get a feel for amateur DMR. After a week or so of using it I liked it so much I purchased a VHF version also. The build quality is great and they are tough. I do a lot of boating and emergency services work so the waterproof part is really nice. DMR on the UHF works very well (I have no VHF DMR repeaters in my area). The received audio on digital and analog is good, very loud, and just as good as any of the many "professional" radios I carried for years as a cop and firefighter. I would like to see a better scan ability such as a way to create a tactical zone on the fly but for $170 I can't complain. The programming took a little while to get used to but now I can do it quickly. One interesting thing, each radio came with two antennas. One 4.5" long and fat, the other 6.5" long and skinny. The antennas for both radios look indentical on the outside with the only visible difference being a marking on the base showing the frequency range (136-174 or 400-480Mhz). My suspicion is that they are the exact same antenna but I need to put them on a meter to check. I would (and already have) recommended these radios to others. If you are looking for a good DMR radio or a tough emergency services radio look no further.

W2MB Rating: 4/5 Jul 17, 2016 18:41 Send this review to a friend
Inexpensive Quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently sold my MD-380 and upgraded to the non-GPS version MD-390. The GPS version was priced only $10 more but I'm not aware of any ham radio related DMR system that make us of GPS data.

Functionally both transceivers are identical. Physically the MD-390 is a bit larger, comes with a larger capacity battery, a more robust belt clip and claims to be water proof.

When doing a recent firmware update I learned the recent MD-380s and MD-390s use an updated vocoder. I thought that the vocoder was software based, but they may be using an actual chip.

The only difference I noted was that the LED indicator on the MD-380 is noticeably brighter than on the MD-390.

Neither of these are of Hytera or Motorola quality, but for what you pay, both are plenty good enough.

JOHNR Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2016 19:27 Send this review to a friend
A great radio, I really enjoy it.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently got this radio and absolutely love it, I have only positive things to say. The display is bright and crisp. The build quality is excellent and feels great in the hand.

I own this 390 GPS as well as the 380 and I prefer the 390 not just because of it being IP67 but because the keyboard lighting is brighter, the belt clip is also much heavier duty.

Audio reports are excellent and the speaker has plenty of volume for working in commercial environments which is great because it's FCC Part90 approved. The GPS function is nice (Works only in DMR mode not analog)would come in handy in an emergency situation.

I ordered mine from: http://www.radioddity.com/us/tytera-tyt-md-390-dmr-digital-radio-with-gps-waterproof-dustproof-ip67-walkie-talkie-transceiver-vhf-uhf-136-174-400-480mhz-two-way-radio.html

I received my order quickly without incident.

PA1SBM Rating: 5/5 May 3, 2016 20:27 Send this review to a friend
Solid DMR Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This newest TYT DMR handheld met all my expectations. Easy to program, easy to use. Audio is super clear and sounds great. I tried to operate it in the rain, and it still functions great. If you're looking for a great waterproof DMR radio in quality and price, look no further.