Reviews Categories | Packet TNCs | Mobilinkd TNC2.1 Help

and GPS signals from your Android smartphone to use APRS
utilizing APRSDroid. Can also be used for other AX.25
packet communications.
More info: http://www.mobilinkd.com/tnc2/

You can write your own review of the Mobilinkd TNC2.1.

W1XYZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2017 09:12 Send this review to a friend
Great and versatile  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a serial device and Apple's iOS does not support serial bluetooth, which is a corporate decision by Apple. That's too bad but inconsequential because of the ubiquity of Android devices that are so cheap now that you can dedicate them to control head dut, which is exactly what I did with an older Galaxy Note 2. The ability to add bluetooth connectivity to the Kenwood D-700/710 creates the only mobile configuration I know that allows the many features of the Kenwoods to operate in parallel with the ease and graphic display on a smartphone or tablet. I set it up using the cable from HamMadePArts that conveniently connects the Mobilinkd to the Kenwood data port. The fact this is a simple TNC is not a handicap at all in this configuration, or if it is someone tell me what I am missing. Messaging is a breeze and all functions of the Kenwood are preserved. Now the improvements that could be made might extend to aprsdroid. I have the Mobilinkd box mounted (and powered) under the rear seat next to the Kenwood box and connect via BT to a small tablet mounted on a dashboard holder. The Kenwood head is also mounted on the dash. Together these power up and work with just a couple of inputs from me. I plan to get another Mobilinkd for my HT.

K6ETA Rating: 2/5 May 2, 2017 08:17 Send this review to a friend
Only good for APRS  Time owned: more than 12 months
This KISS TNC has too small a buffer for packet ops including Winlink and standard PBBS functions. There's no supported Packet software on any platform (and if you're on iOS, this thing is useless. Frankly, all it's good for is APRS, so you might want to go with a different KISS TNC if you want to do anything other than Android APRS.

Lastly, the makers of this unit know all the above and choose to do nothing....

OH8STN Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2016 03:37 Send this review to a friend
Extremely portable Bi-Directional APRS  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've been using the Mobilinkd TNC boards for quite some time. This latest version is a huge improvement in the evolution of the product. I keep reading people comparing it to a tracker, but it's much more than that when connected to APRSDroid on Android, or any other APRS software for bluetooth on Windows or Linux.

Having its own internal battery and using the GPS from a smartphone or tablet, this is the most portable and least intrusive way to get the same functionality as a Kenwood TH-D7, D72, TMD-700 or 710 with AVMap for a third of the price.

One of the ways I use the Mobilinkd is to provide connectivity between my Kenwood TM-D700, and Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet running APRSDroid. All activity heard on the D700 is automatically displayed on the APRSDroid map, including incoming messages, and I can compose and send message from APRSDroid without the awful interface of the kenwood. It also allows me to use a bluetooth keyboard with my Kenwood D700, functionality which is not avaiable without the integration.

I would say the biggest problem with the product, is opertors not understanding what it will actually do for them. Still, It's such a small investment, for the functionality it provides, it won't kill you to simply give it a go, as an alternative to a full kenwood/AVMap purchase.

As with many of my reviews, I've documented my experience with this and previos versions of the product on YouTube. Just search mobilinkd and my callsign on YouTube to see the full evolution of the product and it's capabilities.

KM4HIL Rating: 5/5 Sep 15, 2016 05:29 Send this review to a friend
Buy it already  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
If you are looking for a great setup with APRS this is it. I cannot rate this device highly enough.

My setup that I highly recommend:
Baofeng UV82-> Mobilink Cable -> Mobilinkd -> bluetooth->android phone running aprsdroid.

It's super simple, it allows you to track your location, and very low cost (< $120 for total setup). Perfect for boyscouts and other folks.

WA5RR Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2016 20:06 Send this review to a friend
A-1 Product!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had this Bluetooth-enabled TNC2 for a month so far. During that time, I have used it daily in my truck to run APRS utilizing APRSDroid and a Kenwood TM-V71-A dual-band radio. To make things as simple as possible, I also purchased the radio cable for my radio. The cable comes as a 9600-baud port standard configuration along with a cable jumper to enable 1200-baud operation.

After charging the internal battery for 24 hours, I turned on the TNC, connected to it via my Samsung Galaxy Tab tablet, and opened the vendor-supplied configuration software and checked settings. I then connected to the TNC with APRSDroid and started to send and receive packets. Everything worked flawlessly out of the box since I could hear other stations and send short APRS-style messages back and forth to them.

Just today, I discovered a way to use this KISS TNC as a 'regular' packet TNC. I connected to the TNC via my Windows tablet's Bluetooth card and then configured RMS Express to use the COM-port assigned to the TNC. Since I run a BPQ32 BBS, I used to to verify that I could connect to the BBS on my 1200-baud VHF port. It worked!

After using soundcard-based packet modems for many years, this product reminds me that there's nothing quite as reliable as a hardware-based solution. This product is well-designed and reliable.