Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond V2000 Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond V2000 Antenna
Diamond V2000 Antenna Reviews: 42 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $150 - $175 Average (2/2003)
Description: Tri band (6m/2m/70cm) omnidirectional base station antenna.

You can write your own review of the Diamond V2000 Antenna.

KI4WVZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2014 22:34 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this antenna for a few days, and I thought it was going to be a bear to set up 6 meters... so easy a monkey could do it...
flat to 1.3 swr's on 2m and 70cm
center freq of 52.500 is flat swr's
1.3 at 50.000 and 1.2 at 54.000
can't ask for any better than that ...
I haven't made any contacts yet, but then there are very few in the area ...

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2013 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Does what it's suppose to do.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I've owned & used the antenna since February 2011 & it has GREAT SWR on all 3 bands.It's not up very high but I will get it on the side of the tower one day or on a taller mast.I think the price is a bit high but at least it has worked for what I need it for so far.Beats having two or three antennas for what I use it for.

G4VVQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great antenna, works on 6 mts, 2 mts and 70cms, works as 1/2 wave on 6 mts, 2 x 5/8 wave on 2 mts, 4 x 5/8 wave on 70cms, I have used it quite a lot on 6 mts under sporadic E condition and have good reports back from the European Continent, Sweden, Portugal and Spain etc, it's quite costly but being Diamond well made, has 3 ground planes, adjustable one for 6 mts, which I left alone, power rating is 150 watts, I have tried 100 on ssb and no problems, vswr on all bands is good, can't think of anything bad to say about it, the joint in the middle is a bit loose, but not really a problem, works good on ground wave as well, it's performance is as good or better than other makes I have used..73 Fred g4vvq UK.

G7NTG Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
l bought myself a clone V-2000 (I WONT BE SPECIFIC AS TO MANUFACTURER BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY SUCH CLONES AVAILABLE IN THE UK AT ABOUT 80) which had a one piece fibreglass radome and a non-adjustable long radial. When l had assembled it l put it on top of a pole 7.5 metres above ground level and measured SWR on all three bands; 70cm band it was 2:1 at 433 Mhz, 2m band it was 1.7:1 at 145.5 Mhz and the 6m band it was 3:1 at 51.5 Mhz. All pretty bad! lt was as deaf as a post on 70cm and 2m although 6m was pretty good if l used an antenna tuner!
l took this antenna down and replaced it with a Diamond V-2000 which gave the following SWR readings when mounted in the same position.
70cm 1.1:1 at 433 Mhz, 2m 1.1:1 at 145.5 Mhz,
1.2:1 at 50.5 Mhz. This antenna stayed in place!
UHF is fantastic with lots of different repeaters on the same frequency coming up when using different CTCSS!
2m is really good and on 6m it performs the same as my homebrew 5/8 vertical whip.
THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THIS ANTENNA IS THAT THEY DID NOT INCLUDE FOUR METRES!!

M0MCX Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2011 05:41 Send this review to a friend
5 Years, 5 stars  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many of my club members "make do" with various random white stick co-linears for VHF, not realising the V2000 is a real beefy antenna which blows most others away. I have not had any of the issues or bad experiences that a small number of other people have spotted. I have low SWR across all of my 6, 2 and 70cms bands and fabulous gain. The feedpont of the antenna itself is about 10m (30+ feet) above ground, well away from anything other than the 20 foot aluminium pole that it's bolted to on the gable end of my house. I'm feeding with 25m of Westflex (UK low loss coax) and regularly open repeaters 100 miles away.

I rarely work 6m band but I have used it on both FM and SSB and even scored some DX however it's not a yagi so I only use it with similarly polarised, locally based hams.

I am considering upgrading to an X-510N not because I'm dissapointed in the V-2000, on the contrary. I'm upgrading to the higher gain BECAUSE I've been so impressed with the V2000.

I will absolutely keep my V2000 and may even re-install it alongside my X-510N. I'll be interested in observing any side-by-side differences in the long term.

73, Callum.

WB4LCN Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2011 16:17 Send this review to a friend
70cm, High SWR - CURED!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I mounted the antenna on a short drain air pipe on the roof. One of the radials was only about a foot off the roof. The SWR in the 70cm band was high (+4:1). 6m (after tuning) and 2m were great. I bought a 6 foot extension and raised the antenna up and that extra height cured my SWR issue.

Full steam ahead!! :)

ZL3AG Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2010 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mine at 45' fed with RG213 and it performs just great. With 100W from an IC746 I can lift a 2Mx repeater that is 200km to my south. Good gain and no rotator required. Would recommend.

KC7LFB Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2010 21:28 Send this review to a friend
After further modifications...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
>>The bad news is that the antenna is really only usable in the topmost section of the band. SWR goes up as frequency goes down; we hit 3:1 at 53MHz and it climbs rapidly below that.<<

After posting this review, I realized I had improperly converted metric to inches and thus the radials were slightly short.

After adjusting the radials to more than 1/4 wavelength at 6M, the usable portion of the band shifted down somewhat. 3:1 VSWR now occurs at ~51.6 MHz and drops smoothly above that, reaching around 1.2:1 at 54 MHz.

We also removed the factory 6M radial and reinstalled the third homemade radial, lengthened to match the others. No change was noted.

With these mods, I consider this antenna to be adequate on 6M. It is advertised as a 52-54 MHz antenna and it does cover that bandwidth, albeit with a bit more VSWR mismatch than I'd like at the low end. 144 and 440 both work very well. I'd almost describe it as a 2.5 band antenna, since it's really only suitable for the upper portion of 6M.

I'm thus bumping up the rating a notch to 4. Technically it should get a "2" since it definitely "needs help", but the mods aren't difficult once you know what to do.

The remaining question is whether there are any other tribanders out there that perform better in stock configuration than this one does. Anytime you ask a single antenna to cover multiple bands there will be compromise, but sometimes one product is better at that compromise than another.

G7MIW Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my V-2000 four years ago when I moved to my current address. Initially I was disappointed with the antenna as the rx was poor. Although tx was fine on 2 and 70 no amount of altering the length of the 6m radial would make any changes to an overly high standing wave. After taking it down for the 3rd time I figured that this can't be right, Diamond do not make antenna's that have this kind of fault so I placed the swr meter at the antenna and checked it with a portable trx. No problem on any band! So it was time to check the coax and more importantly the connections. Despite my best effort (solder, flux cleaning etc.) the centre core of the RG-213 at the antenna end was loose in the pin. A reheat and some more solder and flux had that sorted and up the whole assembly went with a single turn coil of 6" (150mm) as a choke. This time the performance was far greater than I ever expected. Nowhere in the tx bands was the swr greater that 1.2:1 So to say I was delighted would be an understatement.
Still after 4 years it is on top of the same mast, untouched and performing just as it did the day I finally figured out the problem, even with a 746-Pro running full power in to it.
Definitely a keeper.

W2XAD Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2009 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Works Great for me! Erected 1995 and still there!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put up my V 2000 in January of 1995. It is attached to some 9913. When it was put up the Top of the antenna sits at 50ft. I have never taken the antenna down since erecting it! Its now July, 2009 and it still works great. I have no problems working repeaters on all the bands it is made for. Working simplex is fun also. This antenna exceeded
all of my expectations. Even though the gain on 6 meters is small, 2.15 dbi the antenna still works well. I have worked FM mobiles in Ga. on six. If the antenna died tomorrow I would get another one in a heartbeat. It cost me $149.00 in 94. About $10.00 or so a year. You can't beat that!