Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond V2000 Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond V2000 Antenna
Diamond V2000 Antenna Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $150 - $175 Average (2/2003)
Description: Tri band (6m/2m/70cm) omnidirectional base station antenna.

You can write your own review of the Diamond V2000 Antenna.

KI4WVZ Rating: 5/5 Feb 13, 2014 22:34 Send this review to a friend
I like it  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had this antenna for a few days, and I thought it was going to be a bear to set up 6 meters... so easy a monkey could do it...
flat to 1.3 swr's on 2m and 70cm
center freq of 52.500 is flat swr's
1.3 at 50.000 and 1.2 at 54.000
can't ask for any better than that ...
I haven't made any contacts yet, but then there are very few in the area ...

W4KVW Rating: 4/5 Oct 30, 2013 18:42 Send this review to a friend
Does what it's suppose to do.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Well I've owned & used the antenna since February 2011 & it has GREAT SWR on all 3 bands.It's not up very high but I will get it on the side of the tower one day or on a taller mast.I think the price is a bit high but at least it has worked for what I need it for so far.Beats having two or three antennas for what I use it for.

G4VVQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 9, 2013 17:07 Send this review to a friend
Good Performer  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great antenna, works on 6 mts, 2 mts and 70cms, works as 1/2 wave on 6 mts, 2 x 5/8 wave on 2 mts, 4 x 5/8 wave on 70cms, I have used it quite a lot on 6 mts under sporadic E condition and have good reports back from the European Continent, Sweden, Portugal and Spain etc, it's quite costly but being Diamond well made, has 3 ground planes, adjustable one for 6 mts, which I left alone, power rating is 150 watts, I have tried 100 on ssb and no problems, vswr on all bands is good, can't think of anything bad to say about it, the joint in the middle is a bit loose, but not really a problem, works good on ground wave as well, it's performance is as good or better than other makes I have used..73 Fred g4vvq UK.

G7NTG Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2012 03:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
l bought myself a clone V-2000 (I WONT BE SPECIFIC AS TO MANUFACTURER BECAUSE THERE ARE MANY SUCH CLONES AVAILABLE IN THE UK AT ABOUT 80) which had a one piece fibreglass radome and a non-adjustable long radial. When l had assembled it l put it on top of a pole 7.5 metres above ground level and measured SWR on all three bands; 70cm band it was 2:1 at 433 Mhz, 2m band it was 1.7:1 at 145.5 Mhz and the 6m band it was 3:1 at 51.5 Mhz. All pretty bad! lt was as deaf as a post on 70cm and 2m although 6m was pretty good if l used an antenna tuner!
l took this antenna down and replaced it with a Diamond V-2000 which gave the following SWR readings when mounted in the same position.
70cm 1.1:1 at 433 Mhz, 2m 1.1:1 at 145.5 Mhz,
1.2:1 at 50.5 Mhz. This antenna stayed in place!
UHF is fantastic with lots of different repeaters on the same frequency coming up when using different CTCSS!
2m is really good and on 6m it performs the same as my homebrew 5/8 vertical whip.
THE ONLY DOWNSIDE TO THIS ANTENNA IS THAT THEY DID NOT INCLUDE FOUR METRES!!

M0MCX Rating: 5/5 Dec 22, 2011 05:41 Send this review to a friend
5 Years, 5 stars  Time owned: more than 12 months
Many of my club members "make do" with various random white stick co-linears for VHF, not realising the V2000 is a real beefy antenna which blows most others away. I have not had any of the issues or bad experiences that a small number of other people have spotted. I have low SWR across all of my 6, 2 and 70cms bands and fabulous gain. The feedpont of the antenna itself is about 10m (30+ feet) above ground, well away from anything other than the 20 foot aluminium pole that it's bolted to on the gable end of my house. I'm feeding with 25m of Westflex (UK low loss coax) and regularly open repeaters 100 miles away.

I rarely work 6m band but I have used it on both FM and SSB and even scored some DX however it's not a yagi so I only use it with similarly polarised, locally based hams.

I am considering upgrading to an X-510N not because I'm dissapointed in the V-2000, on the contrary. I'm upgrading to the higher gain BECAUSE I've been so impressed with the V2000.

I will absolutely keep my V2000 and may even re-install it alongside my X-510N. I'll be interested in observing any side-by-side differences in the long term.

73, Callum.

WB4LCN Rating: 5/5 Oct 24, 2011 16:17 Send this review to a friend
70cm, High SWR - CURED!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I mounted the antenna on a short drain air pipe on the roof. One of the radials was only about a foot off the roof. The SWR in the 70cm band was high (+4:1). 6m (after tuning) and 2m were great. I bought a 6 foot extension and raised the antenna up and that extra height cured my SWR issue.

Full steam ahead!! :)

ZL3AG Rating: 5/5 Dec 6, 2010 17:40 Send this review to a friend
Does the Job for me!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mine at 45' fed with RG213 and it performs just great. With 100W from an IC746 I can lift a 2Mx repeater that is 200km to my south. Good gain and no rotator required. Would recommend.

KC7LFB Rating: 4/5 Nov 4, 2010 21:28 Send this review to a friend
After further modifications...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
>>The bad news is that the antenna is really only usable in the topmost section of the band. SWR goes up as frequency goes down; we hit 3:1 at 53MHz and it climbs rapidly below that.<<

After posting this review, I realized I had improperly converted metric to inches and thus the radials were slightly short.

After adjusting the radials to more than 1/4 wavelength at 6M, the usable portion of the band shifted down somewhat. 3:1 VSWR now occurs at ~51.6 MHz and drops smoothly above that, reaching around 1.2:1 at 54 MHz.

We also removed the factory 6M radial and reinstalled the third homemade radial, lengthened to match the others. No change was noted.

With these mods, I consider this antenna to be adequate on 6M. It is advertised as a 52-54 MHz antenna and it does cover that bandwidth, albeit with a bit more VSWR mismatch than I'd like at the low end. 144 and 440 both work very well. I'd almost describe it as a 2.5 band antenna, since it's really only suitable for the upper portion of 6M.

I'm thus bumping up the rating a notch to 4. Technically it should get a "2" since it definitely "needs help", but the mods aren't difficult once you know what to do.

The remaining question is whether there are any other tribanders out there that perform better in stock configuration than this one does. Anytime you ask a single antenna to cover multiple bands there will be compromise, but sometimes one product is better at that compromise than another.

KC7LFB Rating: 3/5 Nov 3, 2010 15:25 Send this review to a friend
Update after modification...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My son and I made three replacement radials for the V2000. (Note: The base uses 10-32 threads in case anyone else wants to experiment.) The radials have adjustable length that can be extended to at least 60 inches, well beyond 1/4 wave at 6 meters.

We installed the radials and then used our AIM analyzer to plot the antenna's response on 2M and 6M (the analyzer tops out at 170MHz).

According to theory, the only band that should be affected by longer-than-factory radials should be 6M, and that's exactly what we found. 2M still has excellent SWR and resonance across the entire band. A rough idea of 440's SWR, based on our 857D's external meter, also maintained good results across the entire band.

6 meters was where we saw the problems, and where we saw the greatest change using the new radials. The good news is that the "wild swings of peaks and nulls for both impedance and SWR across the whole band" we saw previously have been cleaned up a lot. The bad news is that the antenna is really only usable in the topmost section of the band. SWR goes up as frequency goes down; we hit 3:1 at 53MHz and it climbs rapidly below that. I've told my son not to use frequencies below 53MHz to protect the radio.

Above 53MHz it works pretty well. It hits a 6M FM repeater close to 100 miles away with good reports, something most folks around here claim they cannot do. So the potential is there.

We've tried adjusting the radial lengths by quite a bit but the peaks and valleys only shift a few kiloherts. Our most recent experiment was to replace one of the new radials with Diamond's 6M tunable radial; that widened the usable spectrum a little bit so we've left it that way for now. Basically, though, it's a 53 through 54 MHz vertical. Considering that a lot of the 6M repeaters around here use a -1.7MHz transmit offset, that narrow bandwidth really limits the machines we can work.

As a dual band antenna I'd give it a "5". But I'm sticking with my rating of "3" for now unless and until we figure out a way to improve this antenna's 6M performance. We bought it to be a tribander, and if I'd known it would really only deliver two bands I could have saved some money (or purchased a different product).

KC7LFB Rating: 3/5 Oct 26, 2010 14:39 Send this review to a friend
144/440 is good, 6M is marginal...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Our V2000A is mounted at the top of a metal mast such that the antenna's base is ~18-20 feet above ground. It is fed with ~30 feet of LMR400 coax and currently connected to an Yaesu FT-857D.

We checked its performance with our AIM 4170B antenna analyzer, so we have excellent plots of its performance on 50MHz and 144MHz. The analyzer tops out at 170MHz so we can't do detailed analysis of the 440 band, but we get a rough idea watching the external meter on our 857D.

On 144 and 440 this antenna does fine. However, as noted by many other reviewers here, its 50MHz (6 meter) performance leaves a lot to be desired. The SWR ranges as high as 3:1 within the 6M band, and no amount of fiddling with the adjustable radial makes much difference. There are wild swings of peaks and nulls for both impedance and SWR across the whole band. We are limiting our frequencies within the band until this is resolved.

Some online articles suggest that the radials can be replaced with three that are tuned specifically for the 6M band alone. The claim is that this dramatically improves the 6M performance with surprisingly little impact on 144 and 440. That's probably our next step.

Until then, I can't go above a 3 on this antenna. We have other Diamond products and they work well, but this one needs some work.