Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond V2000 Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond V2000 Antenna
Diamond V2000 Antenna Reviews: 42 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $150 - $175 Average (2/2003)
Description: Tri band (6m/2m/70cm) omnidirectional base station antenna.

You can write your own review of the Diamond V2000 Antenna.

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 20:32 Send this review to a friend
One of the best for 2, 70, or 6!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, here we are almost 2.5 years since my last post. Then I was AI4HO, I must say, every year I take this antenna down clean up is relatively easy, and its about time for me to bring it down this year. I'm still hitting repeater well over 50+ miles away. From ground level to the very top, the antenna stands about the 40' mark. I have several guys on it, just to make sure that if we do get one of these strong summer showers that we here in south central Florida are famous for, that the antenna doesn't come crashing down on the neighbors house. No great loss, the neighbors house I mean not the antenna.

Still hard to believe that I've had this antenna up for this long, other than yearly maintainence this is pretty much a put it up and forget it antenna. Once I got the 6 meter stub adjusted for my preference I haven't touched it. I take care when I am doing the yearly clean up, to make sure that I do not alter in any way shape or form the 6 meter stub.

When asked what I'm using for an antenna, I tell them its a 5 year old Diamond V2000A, for 2/70cm/6 meters. Its still one of the best for 2/70/or 6 meters!

N4CR Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2009 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Get one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Someone gave me one of these that didn't work. I disassembled the antenna radome and found that the coupling capacitor in the middle was burned in two, probably from a nearby lightning strike. I called Diamond and asked them for the value of the cap and the guy in parts didn't know, but said he'd just send me the right one at no charge. I got the replacement cap installed and swept the anteenna with my MFJ-269. The antenna checked out fine on all three bands. This means there was no damage to the matching network in the base.

I've now had the antenna up for 4 years and it's an excellent performer. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a quality tri-bander.

IK2SAI Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 05:49 Send this review to a friend
nice result  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this antenna since mid 2002: it was bought to work togheter with my TS2000.
My location doesn't help in VHF and UHF, infact my roof is lower than other building all around.
Any way it works as it can and is enough.
On 50 MHz i have worked about 50 countries ( including south africa, brazil, usa) without a big effort and i'm sure that with the new cicle i'll be able to encrease these numbers.
After 6 year in the Milan smog it appears like new.

N2CLB Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2008 06:25 Send this review to a friend
top notch  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have this on top my tower for repeater use and local simplex fm and i will have to say for that it is a 5/5 now if you are looking for something to dx on 6M with this is not what you are looking for i had a ham ask me how well it worked for that it's a 1/5 for dx on 6M get a yagi like a M2 6M5X for that hope this helps.

Camden
N2CLB

KC2FTN Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2007 22:05 Send this review to a friend
7+ years now  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I mentioned in my first review a few years back, this antenna is EXCELLENT! It has been totally encapsulated with about 1/2" of ice during the winter which made it unusable for a couple of days, but that's not the antennas fault. Mine's mounted about 33' from the ground to the antenna tip, and I can work simplex stations out to about 25 miles with 10 or so watts on FM. Additionally, I've worked about 15 or so states with 100 watts on 6-meter FM, and this antenna does fine on 70cm as well. If you're looking for a good tri-band vertical, you've found it.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Easy FIX for SIX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am hesitant to give this antenna a "5", but after an easy fix, it DOES work great on all bands. To me, their ad implies that it is a compromise. "Similar in construction to the X200A dual band, the VX2000A has an additional counterpoise radial - adjustable for 6M...". The simplest of logic and antenna theory will tell you that an antenna like this with only one shortened radial will be directional. I found it to be just that way, having a slight edge in the direction of the radial. The SWR was a bit squirely on six also. That, plus the performance on six was acceptable for this less than ideal configuration. However, there seemed to be a way to improve it.

Since that loaded radial appeared to be the root of the antenna's problems on six, I added the three radial section from an old (chicken band ??) ground plane with the radials cut for 52 MHz. The GP was designed to mount on a small mast, so it fit perfectly a couple inches below the V2000A's normal own radials. I probably didn't need to, but I ran a braided ground strap from the GP mounting plate to the screw on the Diamond that holds the antenna in it's mount. Up close, it looks kludgy, but up in the air it looks OK. I also removed the loaded 6m radial and substituted a straight 19 inch threaded rod to match the other two.

The SWR on six is now flat from 52 to 54 MHz and the antenna does not appear to be directional. Performance on 146 & 440 are not changed.

W8HDU Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2007 18:09 Send this review to a friend
My luck with the V2000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got two of the V2000 antennas. They are OK, but the vertical beam is a bit wide, leading to lower gain. It didn't stop me from working some 52.525 FM skip one day. There is a reason they call six meters the magic band.

My first attempt to use the V2000 was in a side mount on a tower. That failed. There was too much reflections between the antenna and the tower, and doing a graph of SWR reading across the band showed it to have some real peaks and valleys in VSWR.

I also found out, (the hard way), that the antenna does not like any near field objects. When the antenna was on a pole by the garage, again there were hills and valleys in the VSWR. However, just twenty feet away was a utility pole with both grounds and cable TV & phone coming down the pole.

The antenna works the best when mounted on the top of a pole, and making sure that the pole is grounded. My first attempt at top mounting was not as good as I hoped, and I needed to do some tuning to the antenna, centering the match on 52.525. This took a little time to do as I had to put the antenna on a temp pole and have a friend hold it up in free space while I took a measurement. Finally, the match settled in to 1.125 : 1.0 at 52.525, and at my repeater input frequency of 53.630 I had a 1.211 : 1.00.

I've run up to 100 watts (FM) into it, and it seems pretty stable. I think the biggest two things about this antenna is that it be in clear open space, on the top of a pole with nothing within 40 feet of it. And, tuning is critical, but tuning has to be done in free space. At least put the antenna on a temp roof mount. Trying to tune it in the back yard at ground level won't work.

And, yes, Diamond is one of THOSE companies that don't seem to helpful. I've e-mailed them and written to them, and have yet to receive a reply. I have no opinion what they don't respond, but because of it, my newer antennas were all purchased from Comet, M2, and Telex.

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2007 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Superb Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my V2000 for almost 3 years now. I still have it up approximately 33-34'. I pull it down once a year go over everything makeing sure it is right and tight. I have NEVER had any problems with this antenna. The V2000, does extremely well on 2m/70cm. it also does extremely well on 6 meter FM. I read the instructions, and where they give you 3 or 4 settings for thr 6 mtr radial I just added them together divided by the number of settings and got my length haven't touched it since.
I would reccomend this antenna to anyone who wants an antenna that will give you the preformance you are looking for!

KR4K Rating: 4/5 Jan 23, 2007 15:55 Send this review to a friend
Excellent for FM  Time owned: more than 12 months
Have base at 56 ft. Using TS-2000, 100 W typical, 100 ft. LMR-400.
I got it to work repeaters and simplex in the texas Hill Country. Works well on all 3 bands. 2m Simplex range typically is 30-35 miles to mobile, which is good given the hilly terrain. Can talk to a mobile 2m simplex in Austin. No problem using 6m, 2m, and 3/4m repeaters over the entire area.
Wanted one antenna to put at top of tower for FM, and it does the job.

N3RSJ Rating: 1/5 Apr 3, 2006 11:00 Send this review to a friend
V-200A good for VHF/UHF ONLY!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I originally got the v-2000a used in mint condition at a local hamfest for a bit less then a new one everything was complete with it.I installed it and got poor results SWR on 2M OK,70CM OK /6M 3.1 almost like it was'nt for 6M?
I checked the tunable trap it was ok the leangth was adjusted around 22 inch for 6 Meters but SWR was rocking but 2.1 at 53.995? so the groundplane was not long enough so I extened it to 47 inches in order to get that 2.1 SWR to a freq of 52.000.
But cannot run anymore then 20 watts or SWR goes up? diamond would'nt comment me? I als tried cross band repeating the antenna desenses it's self!From 2m to 70cm or 2m to 6m? But not from 6M to 70CM.Used DR610TQ AND FT-8900R for this test.
I also had RF into stereo system audio amp and satalitte system from transmitting off this antenna?I just aquired a DB201 folded groundplane tunned it and no high noise level as compared to the V-2000A and greater transmit signal both into a repeater and simplex then the v-2000A I am so happy now I have had my experinces with other diamond antennas and had no previous complaints
best to buy a ringo AR-6 6m vertical I have one up on a simplex link and it's a performer!
AFTER SEEING WHAT A DIFFERANCE THE DB201 (decible Products) makes I removed the 6 m trap off th v-2000A aded an old ground plane from a x-500 that lightning dismantalled last year an d v-2000 is a great 2m 70cm antenna now. my experince on it don't bother getting one. x-500 is an exallent antenna for dual band op's 73's