Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | Diamond V2000 Antenna Help

Reviews Summary for Diamond V2000 Antenna
Diamond V2000 Antenna Reviews: 45 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $150 - $175 Average (2/2003)
Description: Tri band (6m/2m/70cm) omnidirectional base station antenna.

You can write your own review of the Diamond V2000 Antenna.

G7MIW Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2010 17:04 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my V-2000 four years ago when I moved to my current address. Initially I was disappointed with the antenna as the rx was poor. Although tx was fine on 2 and 70 no amount of altering the length of the 6m radial would make any changes to an overly high standing wave. After taking it down for the 3rd time I figured that this can't be right, Diamond do not make antenna's that have this kind of fault so I placed the swr meter at the antenna and checked it with a portable trx. No problem on any band! So it was time to check the coax and more importantly the connections. Despite my best effort (solder, flux cleaning etc.) the centre core of the RG-213 at the antenna end was loose in the pin. A reheat and some more solder and flux had that sorted and up the whole assembly went with a single turn coil of 6" (150mm) as a choke. This time the performance was far greater than I ever expected. Nowhere in the tx bands was the swr greater that 1.2:1 So to say I was delighted would be an understatement.
Still after 4 years it is on top of the same mast, untouched and performing just as it did the day I finally figured out the problem, even with a 746-Pro running full power in to it.
Definitely a keeper.

W2XAD Rating: 5/5 Jul 24, 2009 13:27 Send this review to a friend
Works Great for me! Erected 1995 and still there!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I put up my V 2000 in January of 1995. It is attached to some 9913. When it was put up the Top of the antenna sits at 50ft. I have never taken the antenna down since erecting it! Its now July, 2009 and it still works great. I have no problems working repeaters on all the bands it is made for. Working simplex is fun also. This antenna exceeded
all of my expectations. Even though the gain on 6 meters is small, 2.15 dbi the antenna still works well. I have worked FM mobiles in Ga. on six. If the antenna died tomorrow I would get another one in a heartbeat. It cost me $149.00 in 94. About $10.00 or so a year. You can't beat that!

AI4HO Rating: 5/5 Jul 13, 2009 20:32 Send this review to a friend
One of the best for 2, 70, or 6!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Well, here we are almost 2.5 years since my last post. Then I was AI4HO, I must say, every year I take this antenna down clean up is relatively easy, and its about time for me to bring it down this year. I'm still hitting repeater well over 50+ miles away. From ground level to the very top, the antenna stands about the 40' mark. I have several guys on it, just to make sure that if we do get one of these strong summer showers that we here in south central Florida are famous for, that the antenna doesn't come crashing down on the neighbors house. No great loss, the neighbors house I mean not the antenna.

Still hard to believe that I've had this antenna up for this long, other than yearly maintainence this is pretty much a put it up and forget it antenna. Once I got the 6 meter stub adjusted for my preference I haven't touched it. I take care when I am doing the yearly clean up, to make sure that I do not alter in any way shape or form the 6 meter stub.

When asked what I'm using for an antenna, I tell them its a 5 year old Diamond V2000A, for 2/70cm/6 meters. Its still one of the best for 2/70/or 6 meters!

N4CR Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2009 22:12 Send this review to a friend
Get one!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Someone gave me one of these that didn't work. I disassembled the antenna radome and found that the coupling capacitor in the middle was burned in two, probably from a nearby lightning strike. I called Diamond and asked them for the value of the cap and the guy in parts didn't know, but said he'd just send me the right one at no charge. I got the replacement cap installed and swept the anteenna with my MFJ-269. The antenna checked out fine on all three bands. This means there was no damage to the matching network in the base.

I've now had the antenna up for 4 years and it's an excellent performer. I'd recommend it to anyone who needs a quality tri-bander.

IK2SAI Rating: 5/5 Nov 6, 2008 05:49 Send this review to a friend
nice result  Time owned: more than 12 months
I own this antenna since mid 2002: it was bought to work togheter with my TS2000.
My location doesn't help in VHF and UHF, infact my roof is lower than other building all around.
Any way it works as it can and is enough.
On 50 MHz i have worked about 50 countries ( including south africa, brazil, usa) without a big effort and i'm sure that with the new cicle i'll be able to encrease these numbers.
After 6 year in the Milan smog it appears like new.

N2CLB Rating: 5/5 Apr 8, 2008 06:25 Send this review to a friend
top notch  Time owned: more than 12 months
i have this on top my tower for repeater use and local simplex fm and i will have to say for that it is a 5/5 now if you are looking for something to dx on 6M with this is not what you are looking for i had a ham ask me how well it worked for that it's a 1/5 for dx on 6M get a yagi like a M2 6M5X for that hope this helps.

Camden
N2CLB

KC2FTN Rating: 5/5 Dec 29, 2007 22:05 Send this review to a friend
7+ years now  Time owned: more than 12 months
As I mentioned in my first review a few years back, this antenna is EXCELLENT! It has been totally encapsulated with about 1/2" of ice during the winter which made it unusable for a couple of days, but that's not the antennas fault. Mine's mounted about 33' from the ground to the antenna tip, and I can work simplex stations out to about 25 miles with 10 or so watts on FM. Additionally, I've worked about 15 or so states with 100 watts on 6-meter FM, and this antenna does fine on 70cm as well. If you're looking for a good tri-band vertical, you've found it.

K3ICH Rating: 5/5 Oct 13, 2007 05:49 Send this review to a friend
Easy FIX for SIX  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am hesitant to give this antenna a "5", but after an easy fix, it DOES work great on all bands. To me, their ad implies that it is a compromise. "Similar in construction to the X200A dual band, the VX2000A has an additional counterpoise radial - adjustable for 6M...". The simplest of logic and antenna theory will tell you that an antenna like this with only one shortened radial will be directional. I found it to be just that way, having a slight edge in the direction of the radial. The SWR was a bit squirely on six also. That, plus the performance on six was acceptable for this less than ideal configuration. However, there seemed to be a way to improve it.

Since that loaded radial appeared to be the root of the antenna's problems on six, I added the three radial section from an old (chicken band ??) ground plane with the radials cut for 52 MHz. The GP was designed to mount on a small mast, so it fit perfectly a couple inches below the V2000A's normal own radials. I probably didn't need to, but I ran a braided ground strap from the GP mounting plate to the screw on the Diamond that holds the antenna in it's mount. Up close, it looks kludgy, but up in the air it looks OK. I also removed the loaded 6m radial and substituted a straight 19 inch threaded rod to match the other two.

The SWR on six is now flat from 52 to 54 MHz and the antenna does not appear to be directional. Performance on 146 & 440 are not changed.

W8HDU Rating: 4/5 Apr 22, 2007 18:09 Send this review to a friend
My luck with the V2000  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've got two of the V2000 antennas. They are OK, but the vertical beam is a bit wide, leading to lower gain. It didn't stop me from working some 52.525 FM skip one day. There is a reason they call six meters the magic band.

My first attempt to use the V2000 was in a side mount on a tower. That failed. There was too much reflections between the antenna and the tower, and doing a graph of SWR reading across the band showed it to have some real peaks and valleys in VSWR.

I also found out, (the hard way), that the antenna does not like any near field objects. When the antenna was on a pole by the garage, again there were hills and valleys in the VSWR. However, just twenty feet away was a utility pole with both grounds and cable TV & phone coming down the pole.

The antenna works the best when mounted on the top of a pole, and making sure that the pole is grounded. My first attempt at top mounting was not as good as I hoped, and I needed to do some tuning to the antenna, centering the match on 52.525. This took a little time to do as I had to put the antenna on a temp pole and have a friend hold it up in free space while I took a measurement. Finally, the match settled in to 1.125 : 1.0 at 52.525, and at my repeater input frequency of 53.630 I had a 1.211 : 1.00.

I've run up to 100 watts (FM) into it, and it seems pretty stable. I think the biggest two things about this antenna is that it be in clear open space, on the top of a pole with nothing within 40 feet of it. And, tuning is critical, but tuning has to be done in free space. At least put the antenna on a temp roof mount. Trying to tune it in the back yard at ground level won't work.

And, yes, Diamond is one of THOSE companies that don't seem to helpful. I've e-mailed them and written to them, and have yet to receive a reply. I have no opinion what they don't respond, but because of it, my newer antennas were all purchased from Comet, M2, and Telex.

KI4CRA Rating: 5/5 Feb 25, 2007 15:08 Send this review to a friend
Superb Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had my V2000 for almost 3 years now. I still have it up approximately 33-34'. I pull it down once a year go over everything makeing sure it is right and tight. I have NEVER had any problems with this antenna. The V2000, does extremely well on 2m/70cm. it also does extremely well on 6 meter FM. I read the instructions, and where they give you 3 or 4 settings for thr 6 mtr radial I just added them together divided by the number of settings and got my length haven't touched it since.
I would reccomend this antenna to anyone who wants an antenna that will give you the preformance you are looking for!