Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Chameleon Antenna CHA P-LOOP Help

Reviews Summary for Chameleon Antenna CHA P-LOOP
Chameleon Antenna CHA P-LOOP Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $335
Description: The CHA P-LOOP was designed with portability, ease of use simplicity,
ruggedness and high performance in mind. Unlike any other similar
antennas on the market, the CHA P-LOOP is made with premium
materials that are precisely manufactured and assembled at our
Southern California shop - 100% USA Made!

Specifications:

6.0 MHz to 30.0 MHz (40 - 10 meter ham bands)

Proprietary solderless aluminum Faraday coupling loop. This coupling
loop design can be used with any types of coax cable feed-lines.
Because of its rigidity, the antenna tuning will remain stable, consistent
and will prevent SWR fluctuations due to usual coupling loop
deformation.

The three sections collapsible portable mast allows easy storage, fast
deployment and ease of use in all conditions. No need to play with
multiple tubular PVC sections to assemble the antenna.

The rubberized handle at the bottom insures a great antenna grip and
an easy thumb tuning when operating the antenna handheld.

The bottom of the telescopic mast is equipped with 1/4-20 threaded
hole for easy tripod installation.

The provided stainless steel coupling adapter (1/4”-20 to 3/8”-24) allow
the operator to assemble the antenna on a CHA JAWMOUNT (or any
standard antenna mount equipped with a 3/8”-24 thread) for quick field
deployment.

The 12’ RG-58 with integrated RFI choke feed-line decouples the
Faraday coupling loop from the radio which is essential to prevent SWR
fluctuation while rotating the antenna or moving the coax cable around.

Our custom made capacitors which are equipped with a 6:1 reducer,
offer a smooth and consistent tuning while providing the highest
efficient performance on the market.

The cotton canvas classic military messenger bag offers easy storage,
transportation and protection for the unit.

The CHA P-LOOP comes with the following:

1 X CHA P-LOOP tuning box
1 X Stainless Steel Adapter (1/4”-20 to 3/8”-24)
1 X LMR-400 coax cable radiator
1 X 12’ with integrated RFI choke feed-line
1 X 100% Cotton canvas classic military messenger bag
1 X Proprietary Faraday coupling loop
1 X User guide
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Chameleon Antenna CHA P-LOOP.

KE6EX Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2017 18:50 Send this review to a friend
Easy to tune  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the CHA P Loop 2.0 It had taken me only minutes to setup. I was impressed how easy it was to tune and use with my radio.

It has been one of the best purchases I have made since I also live in a HOA and it has made operating a pleasure.

K4MMG Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2017 03:45 Send this review to a friend
HOA SOLUTION  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been looking for an antenna for two years , in a setting that could be used in a restricted environment , my selection is the CHAP-LOOP. It is quality constructed, and performs well, both inside and outside. I addition, I also added a CHA PC (power compensator). The best feature of the loop is the 3:1 tuning, allows you to obtain the best vswr setting, and is quick. The loop is mounted on a camera tripod.
Communications via email with Chameleon have been promptly responded to.

W5IEM Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2017 21:47 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Top-quality build. Extremely easy setup. Lightweight and convenient for traveling. What more can a ham on the move ask for in an amazing antenna?

N2CPA Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2017 19:11 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna for restricted condo use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in an antenna restricted condo. I got the P loops big brother the F loop. I am using the FT 817ND radio. Set up was easy. This is a quality made product. The first thing I noticed was the noise was significantly reduced as compared to any of the vertical antennas I have tried. I made a voice contact with a Ham in New Mexico at about 2 watts!
This antenna has enabled me to get on the air with great results. Thank you Chameleon Antennas.

AB6DM Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2017 18:11 Send this review to a friend
Quick to deploy. Hears great.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I mount it on a light (not too light) tripod, with the supplied adapter, in just 3 minutes. I've used it with both the FT-817 and the IC-706mk2g (low power). From my QTH in California, I can hear all the way to Florida.

WD0BC Rating: 4/5 Nov 9, 2016 14:50 Send this review to a friend
Tunes great...Solid construction   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have owned three Alex Lppos, a G4TPH and one from Alpha Antennas now this one.

Tested the antenna upon delivery on 20 CW. Band not good ....Did get some good contacts with KX3 and 15 watts. Tuning SMOOTH and EASY. MUCH smoother than others I have owned.....These folks have something at a very competitive price.

Construction: SOLID first rate materials. Well thought out construction. Simple three component set up. Good mounting arrangement. QUICK & SIMPLE.

Accessories: Could have a longer coax with the unit.

Now ...THE"BAG" Just a "bag" that could be used for many things. Someone mush nave had a bunch of "surplus" bags to get rid of at a good price... ...NOT AN ANTENNA BAG......A "custom" bag like the Alex Loop would make it a 5 for me.

In all fairness ....It does seems that Champollion spent their time and money on the antenna itself rather than the bag but that's just my opinion....

See you on 20 CW !

WD0BC

M0AZE Rating: 4/5 Oct 8, 2016 10:35 Send this review to a friend
Initial assessment after 1 week of use  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna was purchased primarily for reliable, easy and quick deployment for portable/field use. I have been disappointed with some of my current array of equipment as some have proved to be less than 100% reliable and difficult to deploy in various locations. So having used the magnetic loop each day while on holiday, this is my initial assessment:

* Excellent build quality - quality components used.
* Compact and easy to assemble. Certainly easier than fishing pole and end-fed antenna to erect. Relatively small footprint.
* Erected in a matter of minutes
* Difficult to assess how effective a radiator it is. Reverse beacon network indicated I was getting out but SNR was down a fair bit. However band conditions are currently poor making it difficult to fully assess this aspect on 40 and 20 meters. I did make CW QSO’s around Europe on 20 meters - especially south of Spain (599 both ways) which I was pleased with. Seems very good on receive as high Q effective at reducing band noise.
* 40 meter tuning very sharp indeed, tunes better on higher frequencies - does take a little getting used too!
* Not a hand held device - not too heavy but awkward to hold and use radio at the same time. I suspect you’d tire very quickly if you had to hold it for any length of time.
* Heavy duty tripod mounting is a must or the whole thing will topple over - especially in a strong breeze. My existing tripod was too flimsy to cope.
* User manual good
* Kit bag is super. Got all my kit including KX3 into it. As a go bag it has extra pockets for leads and user guides etc.

This is not a cheap piece of kit and so would I buy it again? My initial reaction is I probably would. Only time will tell how effective it is at radiating RF.

I will be doing more field work before the winter settles in and will try to compare with my Ventenna portable set-up (which also has its limitations). My intention is to use the two for field operation thus limiting the amount of kit needed.

I'm not expecting this to be the 'silver bullet' of portable aerials. Like so many things in radio - it is a compromise.

So together with assessing its effectiveness as a radiator, it will have to wait a while before I give it a firm 5.

73 de M0AZE (Mike)

W7BV Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2016 10:57 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Portable Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I second all of the very positive previous reviews of the CHA-P Loop. It is very portable, sets up fast, is easy to tune. I also have a CHA - F Loop which I now leave attached to the new RR-RT Remote Rotator and Tuner along with the more efficient aluminum tubing loop and use mainly for backyard portable operations. Both are terrific antenna systems. Also, as mentioned previously, Carl provides exceptional service.

W7SSB Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2016 08:26 Send this review to a friend
Another Great Product From Chameleon  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm not new to using mag loop antennas!Currently I use an MFJ-.1788 at my shop and a CHA-F-Loop ....I also have a CHA-F-Loop at home!
For portable use I have an Alex Loop and an Alpha Loop that I have used for several years. The new P-Loop is replacing the Alpha Loop ( sold ), Alex Loop (for sale)!The CHA-P-LOOP is heads above the other 2 portable antennas! #1. Quality,#2.Setup is quick #3.Tuning
is easy and precise!#4. Another big plus is the carry bag I can carry my coax,Ft-817, external Battery,and
extras!The adapter is great for different mounting fixtures...
I have several other QRP rigs including the YouKits TJ2B handheld which is a great little package to have fun with the P-Loop!
Try one! Buy one! You won't be disappointed !
Most important is being to talk with Carl Lavoie the owner direct if you have any questions! Can't wait to see what the next new product is !

K1DOS Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2016 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my second loop antenna from Chameleon antennas and it works great. The antenna is light, fast to deploy (2 min.), is easy to tune - and is well made! This antenna is a perfect match for my FT-817ND and portable Pactor digital operations. I have had no problems tuning this antenna and connecting to stations. If you like to work portable, take a rig when traveling, or need a good antenna for a go-bag then this is your antenna. Big thumbs up to Chameleon Antennas for making quality equipment that works!