Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Portable (not mobile) | Chameleon Antenna CHA P-LOOP Help

Reviews Summary for Chameleon Antenna CHA P-LOOP
Chameleon Antenna CHA P-LOOP Reviews: 12 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $335
Description: The CHA P-LOOP was designed with portability, ease of use simplicity,
ruggedness and high performance in mind. Unlike any other similar
antennas on the market, the CHA P-LOOP is made with premium
materials that are precisely manufactured and assembled at our
Southern California shop - 100% USA Made!

Specifications:

6.0 MHz to 30.0 MHz (40 - 10 meter ham bands)

Proprietary solderless aluminum Faraday coupling loop. This coupling
loop design can be used with any types of coax cable feed-lines.
Because of its rigidity, the antenna tuning will remain stable, consistent
and will prevent SWR fluctuations due to usual coupling loop
deformation.

The three sections collapsible portable mast allows easy storage, fast
deployment and ease of use in all conditions. No need to play with
multiple tubular PVC sections to assemble the antenna.

The rubberized handle at the bottom insures a great antenna grip and
an easy thumb tuning when operating the antenna handheld.

The bottom of the telescopic mast is equipped with 1/4-20 threaded
hole for easy tripod installation.

The provided stainless steel coupling adapter (1/4-20 to 3/8-24) allow
the operator to assemble the antenna on a CHA JAWMOUNT (or any
standard antenna mount equipped with a 3/8-24 thread) for quick field
deployment.

The 12 RG-58 with integrated RFI choke feed-line decouples the
Faraday coupling loop from the radio which is essential to prevent SWR
fluctuation while rotating the antenna or moving the coax cable around.

Our custom made capacitors which are equipped with a 6:1 reducer,
offer a smooth and consistent tuning while providing the highest
efficient performance on the market.

The cotton canvas classic military messenger bag offers easy storage,
transportation and protection for the unit.

The CHA P-LOOP comes with the following:

1 X CHA P-LOOP tuning box
1 X Stainless Steel Adapter (1/4-20 to 3/8-24)
1 X LMR-400 coax cable radiator
1 X 12 with integrated RFI choke feed-line
1 X 100% Cotton canvas classic military messenger bag
1 X Proprietary Faraday coupling loop
1 X User guide
More info: http://chameleonantenna.com/

You can write your own review of the Chameleon Antenna CHA P-LOOP.

KV4AN Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2016 17:38 Send this review to a friend
Effective and easy to use portable HF antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I was able to get one of the first units produced and was amazed by the performance and portability of the Chameleon Antenna P-LOOP. I was skeptical about how a small magnetic loop would actually work, but like many, Im always looking for the ultimate portable antenna for the FT-817. Ive tried many and most dont work very well. However, I found the performance of the P-LOOP was very good and similar to another high quality portable vertical that I use. The difference being that it takes much less time to setup and tune for operation. There is no counterpoise to measure or coil to tap at the just the right turn to get the antenna to resonate. All you do is turn the knob until the received noise is greatest and then touch it up for lowest SWR. With the antenna in my shack, it was about 2 S-Units lower on receive than my outside dipole. I ran a WSPR test on 20 meters and the first station that heard me was from Spain (Im on the east coast of U.S.). The antenna is sturdy, but it is somewhat heavy and not for the kind of back packing when you are cutting the handle off your toothbrush to save weight. However, if you need a antenna that is small and easy enough to use while travelling - for use at a camp ground, motel or apartment, this antenna will get you on the air with an effective antenna.

OH8STN Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2016 16:52 Send this review to a friend
QRP Portable with my P-Loop & FT-817ND  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've been using the Chameleon P-Loop for about a month at the time of writing this review. The P-Loop is the more portable, more rugged, lightweight little brother to the Chameleon F-Loop. I'm also an experienced magloop user, owning the Chameleon F-Loop, F-Loop+, and Alpha Coaxial Loop.

The P-Loop sets up in about 90 seconds. It can be hand-held, tripod mounted, or attached to a 3/8-20 antenna mount for temporary deployment. So far I've tested it hand held, tripod mounted indoors, tripod mounted outdoors, and on the guardrail of my balcony attached to a jaw mount. So the P-Loop is not only an excellent solution for the QRP Portable operator, but an excellent choice for rapid deployment, and antenna restricted operators as well.

On Air the P-Loop is an absolute pleasure! Tuning is made easy with some sort of gear reduction built into the unit. This gear reduction makes fine tuning fast and easy. One of the problems I've had with loops from other manufacturers is the finicky tuning, or the tuning dials being far too sensitive. The P-Loop simply doesn't have this issue.

My first QSO was with the P-Loop, I was QRP Portable with the Yaesu FT-817ND. The QSO was with another QRP Portable station in Germany. He was using a buddipole. The mode was PSK31, with a good exchange of reports, station info, ... QRP is never easy, but this was exciting!

Since then, I've had QSOs with Norway, Greece, Romania, Iceland, Sweden, Russia, Poland, Denmark, Wales, England, Switzerland, Italy and France. All working PSK63 with the Yaesu FT-817ND, and usually QRP Portable.

I've also used the P-Loop with my YouKits TJ2B. This is an excellent combination. I think the P-Loop would work well with any QRP to +25w rigs.

The P-Loop is very easy to carry since there are only three parts plus coax. It packs down small, and leaves enough room in my backpack for radio, powerpack, solar panel, food, water, and my cooking gear. It's also light enough for my ultra-light weight camera tripod with wide stance.

If you've seen any of my videos or my other eHam reviews, you'll know that I'm not easy to please! With that said, until now, I can't find anything to complain about with this magloop!

I'll publish a video in the next few days of my Adventures QRP Portable with this loop.

Double thumbs up Chameleon! You've listened to the field operator and it's a winner!!!

73 de OH8STN