Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Base/Mobile (non hand-held) | Baojie BJ-218 ( 10 Watt version ) Help

Reviews Summary for Baojie BJ-218 ( 10 Watt version )
Baojie BJ-218 ( 10 Watt version ) Reviews: 3 Average rating: 2.7/5 MSRP: $100+
Description: 2 Meter / 70cm Mobile radio , 10 Watt version
More info: http://en.qzbaojie.com/

You can write your own review of the Baojie BJ-218 ( 10 Watt version ) .

VE4ACV Rating: 1/5 Aug 2, 2016 13:15 Send this review to a friend
NOT TOO GOOD  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
bj218 AKI TIM 218 ( high power model )
25 watts? perhaps in input power ! Mine gets
15 watts output max. This is the second china
25 watt rig i have purchased both get 15 watts out
into a telewave watt meter and a bristal aerospace
watt meter,.... of course the programming cable does not work (win 10) Nice box though. If yours get 25 watts let us know..

VE3YR Rating: 4/5 Jul 12, 2016 17:36 Send this review to a friend
Small unit  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Mine is a no-name 25 W. Model TM218. Awkward to program from front panel. Had a hard time with USB cable with win7, win2000, and NT. Would not pick up the driver. With XP however, it worked immediately. So entry is still time consuming, but reads and writes quickly. Have yet to figure out how to get the alpha tags to display. One tag programmed once,but on subsequent write cycles, no alpha tags display. Anyone got ideas? Nice deal for 82kc. this mobile will fit in any vehicle. I have not experienced the noise problem mentioned for the 10W version.

VK3FORK Rating: 3/5 May 14, 2016 17:57 Send this review to a friend
Compared to Baofeng   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
When I saw the BJ-218 10 Watt radio , I thought I just had to have one . So I contacted the manufacturer and got my self one .
I have a few Baofeng radios , but always wanted something NOT hand held .
The radio seems to be a very nice solid little unit , nothing has broken or gone wrong .
The programming software is enough to use , but you most likely will need some USB drivers for the program cable ..
One of these days I will make a video on how to program VIA the hand mike ( built in controls )

Lets move onto performance :
I can only compare to my hand held mobiles , Baofeng and TYT .

The receiver in the 218 is not as sensitive as the Baofeng radios
Squelch is set too high and cuts out weak signals
The 218 is a lot more noisy than any of my hand helds

Transmit power ???? ( does not seem to transmit as well as the baofengs = Cant reach repeaters that my UV5r can activate = Same BASE antenna )

Other than these wrinkles , the radio works well ..
Does it work well enough to be a keeper ? , actually you would probably be better off with a Baofeng Tri-power , and use a battery eliminator ( UV5r - GT3 )

Anyhow , I am still waiting on some parts so I can try out a few more antenna , and If I cant get the 218 to perform as I want I will most likely sell it ..

Not really a regretful purchase , but at the same time the 218 does fail to impress ..

Some positives :
Well built
very small ( not much larger than a hand held )
nothing has broken
can use a external speaker ( I do )
Dual channel ( receives on 2 channels )
Each channel can be programmed separately .. One can be 2 meter and the other 70cm
Can be set to band plans ( like Australia )
10watt and 25Watt versions available
3 Power settings ( Low - Med - High )

What I would like to see ..

Infinite control over power ( ramps up and down ) within the power range

More control over the squelch ( fine tuning )

Some way of controlling noise canceling ( radio is to noisy )

Some of these things could be done with the program software ..
Another thing I would just love to see from all radio manufacturers , is separately setting Tx and Rx frequency ranges ..
I would love to enable Rx through out the entire frequency ranges , and have Tx set to the band plan ...