Reviews Categories | Receive Accessories | MFJ-1020C Antenna Preamp/Preselector/Active antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MFJ-1020C Antenna Preamp/Preselector/Active antenna
MFJ-1020C Antenna Preamp/Preselector/Active antenna Reviews: 3 Average rating: 3.3/5 MSRP: $$ 99.95
Description: This device functions as either an Antenna Preamplifier, Active antenna and/or pre-selector.
More info: http://www.mfjenterprises.com/Product.php?productid=MFJ-1020C

You can write your own review of the MFJ-1020C Antenna Preamp/Preselector/Active antenna.

WA1UFO Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2016 22:45 Send this review to a friend
Nice!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I love this preamp! With the little whip it doesn't perform as well as it does with 10 or 20 feet of wire. Also, a good earth ground or short counterpoise really helps. Ok, here is the important thing, signal to noise ratio. On some signals a preamp just makes the signal and noise louder. However, I use this with a 35 foot wire and earth ground and it really improves the signal to noise ratio, especially on MW and LW. I highly recommend this rig for use with a short wire aerial and an earth ground or counterpoise. It is a real gem when I use it with my hula hoop loop in horizontal position as it really makes weak signals pop up out of the noise. After 60 years of playing with radios I can honestly say that this is worth every penny to me!

AB3TH Rating: 0/5 Oct 9, 2016 09:03 Send this review to a friend
Not useful  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought one at a hamfest. New in box. It's very noisy and insensitive. A random piece of wire tossed out the window works better. When you put it in bypass with no other antenna it actually works better. Just the leakage through a foot of coax. Almost no signal that way but less noise. I didn't expect it to work well but this really doesn't work at all. Yes, it lights up and you can peak it. It just gives louder noise.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 May 15, 2016 17:35 Send this review to a friend
Great Receiver Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A couple weeks ago, I decided to put one of my older general coverage receivers in my office. Not having much room for and antenna, I figured the receiver would need a little help. So I ran a small wire out a window, about 15 feet long and let it hang for now temporarily. I tied it into the MFJ-1020C and was amazed at the performance.

I opened it up initially to inspect the device's internal construction. There were no poor or sloppy solder connections and it appeared to be well constructed. Well, the performance tells all!
Before installing it in the office, I tried it on a couple receivers in my shack and noticed a considerable improvement in reception when using less sophisticated receivers. With a good receiver, it increased the signal as well as noise which would be expected.

If you have limited antenna space or a receiver that needs a little help, I think the MFJ-1020C may fit your needs. Would I buy it again?...... You bet!