Reviews Categories | Feedlines (coax, ladder-line, etc.) | Belden 9913F low loss Coax Help

Reviews Summary for Belden 9913F low loss Coax
Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.0/5 MSRP: $(missing—add MSRP)
Description: Extra low loss 50ohm Feedling

You can write your own review of the Belden 9913F low loss Coax.

N6YG Rating: 5/5 Mar 13, 2015 04:41 Send this review to a friend
Dishonesty regarding water intrusion of 9913F   Time owned: more than 12 months

I've used both 9913F and LMR400 ultra flex for years and in my opinion both are some of the best flexible feed lines available to hams.

They are both foam based and both feature foil and braid shielding and both have virtually identical specifications and performance. Therefore which one you choose boils down to nothing more than price, local availability and personal preference.

The egregious claim that 9913F being manufactured today is more susceptible to water intrusion/migration than competing products is false. Unfortunately this disinformation seems to be mostly propagated by unethical people with a peculiarly strong sense of brand loyalties.

This is a perfect example of difficulty surrounding dispelling a lie or disinformation based on a partial truth.

The issue of water intrusion/migration is actually based on a partial truth. Susceptibility to water intrusion only affected early versions of the air dielectric version of 9913 which to the best of my knowledge has been out of production for quite sometime and is quite easy to identify compared to the foam version.

So bringing up water migration in a review of 9913f as an excuse for a poor review borders on dishonesty.

Once again for the benefit of any new hams who may be reading this 9913F is a modern version of the old 9913 air dielectric coax, Like LMR400 it's now a foam dielectric coax which is easily identified by it's tinned braid and bonded foil shield. 9913F is no more and no less susceptible to water intrusion/migration than competing products.

The bottom line is if you seal the terminations properly and observe the manufacturers specification and derating curves then both should provide many years of quality service.

One more point regarding the failure of foam based dialectical coax such as LMR400 and 9913F. The most common cause for failures at high power is not observing the manufactures temperature derating curve The other cause is impedance bumps resulting from conductor migration.

This conductor migration is common to all foam based coax and is the result of the soft foam dielectric deforming under pressure. The main culprit here is taping or zip tying the coax to tightly to towers legs and masts and/or not observing the minimum bend radius specified.

Both of which can result in the center conductor migrating through the soft foam dielectric the resulting conductor migration reduces the voltage breakdown properties of the coax near the migration point the end result is an impedance bump and reduced power handling capacity.

Anyhow can we finally put to rest this nonsense regarding water intrusion in the new foam based versions of 9913F. It's time to stop spreading this disinformation.

N3WVB Rating: 0/5 Oct 2, 2012 16:42 Send this review to a friend
Do Not Buy 9913F  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As a contest station, I use 9913F for my 6m, 2m, 220 and 432 arrays. I can;t begin to describe my dissapointment in the extremely short life of the feedline. The outer shield's durability is a joke allowing water infiltration to the feedline. Normal spring rains had the feedlines dripping water from the connectors !!! I am No longer a believer in Belden, as their performance in a controlled inside enviroment may be great BUT real life application shows significantly different results. Replacing all the Belden and will never go back !!!!!!

N8ERM Rating: 5/5 Oct 23, 2008 09:59 Send this review to a friend
Belden wins again.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I tried some feed line from Cable X-Perts. It was supposedly better than Belden 9913-F7, per Cable X-Perts. Tried to put N connectors on it, the center conductor is larger than the Belden :-(. Then I tested it for loss. Belden beats the pants off the Cable X-Perts. I saw another that rated the 9913-F7 badly because it was out in the rain. I guess because it was in the rain and the vendor delivered it that wait means all 9913-F& is bad news???

N0WF Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2006 07:55 Send this review to a friend
9913F7 FB here  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Have a 65' run to a KT-34A, 70' run to a 2m12, and an 80' run to 22el Gulf Alpha 432. No complaints here, this is the newest 2006 version 9913F7 from Belden via AES.
Also have 55' original 9913 on my 434 mhz ATV antenna for 15 years, zero problems, low loss.
The newest 9913F7 is great cable, heard stories of water intrusion into the older 9913 but none here. Coax seal over 3M Scotch Super 33+ electric tape = no water.

KC9CWB Rating: 5/5 Jan 4, 2005 13:39 Send this review to a friend
works good  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have not had problems with this coax. It works well and I get low SWR readings. It is very flexible which is great because who wants to wrestle with a cable that acts like a stiff snake!

W9DZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2003 12:29 Send this review to a friend
Can't complain  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am still using lengths of Belden 9913 I bought when it originally hit the market. When I install my connectors I always wrap them with fusable splicing tape first and then cover that with Scotch 88. I have never had a water problem. When you tape the runs to tower legs do not pull the tape real tight or you will distort it and run the risk of causing an impedance bump or even a short. I was using the cable on 2 and 6 Meters. When I moved to a new home 4 years ago I checked the loss with a transmitter and Bird 43 before reinstalling it. At that time it was still within spec.

NE0P Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2003 11:27 Send this review to a friend
Works fine here so far  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought a couple of runs of this used 2 years ago, so don't know how old it is. However, have had no problems with it in the 2 years I have owned it. Have it up on 2 meters and 6 meters, and has worked perfectly. Have worked 39 states on 2 meters with 100 watts and a 13B2 at 25-30 feet. This cable is also flexible and easy to work with, not like the original 9913 which was difficult to bend. Would not hesitate to buy it again.

VK3KCG Rating: 0/5 Jul 17, 2003 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Not worth a pinch of ????  Time owned: months
Bought a run of this cable to test it for a MAJOR telecommunications carrier who was looking at a cheap interconnect on cell base stations.

The distributor shipped it to me but when I fed it with 10 watts of 850 Mhz nothing came out the other end!!
So out with the multimeter and the cable measured perfect...Scratch head time..I left the cable over the bench hanging down while I had lunch, when I returned I noticed a small puddle of water on the floor.

AH Ha said I, rang the company and they told me that (I) had left the cable out in the rain...I sent the cable back for them to look at but they kept saying that I had left it in the rain.

Funny how when the cable was delivered it had never left my workshop!! (I do not operate $50,000 worth of test equipment in the rain)

So it cost me $280.00 for cable that I returned to them, they would NOT replace the cable, they would not give me a refund or credit...(they kept the cable)!!!!!

Needless to say Belden missed out on $475,000 worth of cable sales that we awarded to Huber and Suhner of Germany..

We have never recommended Belden cable in any of our consultancy work ever since...(How could we)?

We cannot afford to deal with such a Pig Headed representative of the company.

N3RIK Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2001 10:03 Send this review to a friend
5 month review  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Was up on the roof checking everything out before winter sets in. There has been no degradation in the performance of the coax over the summer. The outer jacket of the coax shows some signs of weathering, but not as much as in some cheap 8x I put up at the same time. The coax seemed a little less flexable, but still easy to manuever while swapping out a antenna.

N3RIK Rating: 5/5 Apr 30, 2001 19:22 Send this review to a friend
Its not a garden hose!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The new Beldin 9913F seems to be a winner. It bears little resemblence to the old water absorbing variety of 9913. That little clear plastic helical spiral around the center conductor is gone! This stuff has a grayish foam like dielectric. It did not seem sponge like.

Also improved upon with the 9913F is the material used for the outer "black jacket" of the coax. It is a softer more rubber like material. Its also flat black in appearance. It almost looks like rubber automotive tubing. The jacket did not nick up or show any signs of damage as I routed the cable through the shack, up the wall, through conduit and up the "tower". Saw no damage or kinks to the coax after installing it... pretty good considering what it went through, and where it is installed.....yeah, Its easy to put this cable where you want it.

I used pl-259's with my installation. Soldering and putting the connectors on the cable was a snap.

With its double shielding, low loss, ease of use and improved dielectric material I would recommend 9913F when you cant use hardline or ladder line.

Will report back in a few months or maybe a year or so on how well this stuff holds up. So far Im impressed.

Best Regards, N3RIK