Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | HUSTLER 4BTV Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER 4BTV
HUSTLER 4BTV Reviews: 102 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 4 BAND TRAP VERTICAL ANTENNA
More info: http://WWW.NEW-TRONICS.COM

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER 4BTV.

KD2FJM Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2014 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have this antenna ground mounted near the house(there was an existing pipe which once held a dish...saved me some effort) With about 20 ground radials. I've hit Belize, Canary Islands, Brazil, Cuba, Spain, and several western states on 10 meter SSB with no problems. Fairly easy install IF YOU FOLLOW DX ENGINEERING INSTRUCTIONS. This antenna was recommended by a friend and it sure was a good choice.

W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2014 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
The replacement 4BTV has been installed ground mounted without radials. Using the recommended dimensions SWR is 1.5 or less on all four bands. First contact at 10 watts was with a station in Germany. Very pleased with the results.

HA7WX Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2014 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Good and quality product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi Everyone! Not to mention the price, which is -even with european taxes and customs duties- spot on .
To make it short: difficult to find that level of quality for the money spent.
As a previous reviewer told: take your time. And read the manual and use your (or borrow one) antenna analyser. I have the chance to have a tape not only in cm but in inches too. I followed the intructions and corrected a little bit using my MFJ-259 analyser. SWR is 1.0 to 1.2 on those band areas of interest. Only 40m band is where i could not get the best out of the antenna but if you have a look at my qrz page, you'll find out why: i have no room to put as much 1/4 wave radials as i want and as a matter of fact i could not lower the resonance enough, and the antenna is at resonance on 7250 and should be 100 khz downer at least. No matter i am using the radio's built-in tuner to correct the SWR.
So is it performing? Yes, maybe not a yagi. But i have 5 bands (i added 1 radiator next to the antenna for 17m and it works).
Would i recommend it? Sure!
73s de ha7wx chris, catch ya on the bands! hi hi.

AA4BQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Bird house stealth  Time owned: more than 12 months

This also appeared years ago in QST when I first built it.
The bird house is made of light weight corrogated plastic and then painted. It's quite attractive and as a plus, it rests flatly on top of the capacitance hat to hide that. To complete the disguise, a non-functional pulley is visible at the top of the vertical and imitates the ones commonly seen on Martin poles to raise and lower the house for seasonal cleaning. This justifies the "half-mast" appearance as well. It has been up 12 years and works great down by the water and over a buried system of radials. It's a very good antenna for DX in my opinion.

AA4BQ.

(Sorry guys, I have no design plans available. I just drew it out and hot-glued it as I went. It weighs about a pound or less.

W7MGB Rating: 5/5 May 30, 2014 10:37 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased - money well spent!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a very well made antenna using what appears to be good quality components. Everything fits together like it should, all the parts are there, no real tricks or assumptions need to be made to construct anything. One thing that I do find a little interesting, DX Engineering (a fairly well respected company, it seems), sells this same antenna, along with an entire host of "accessories" that will supposedly make the antenna better. I really doubt if anything they sell will make it better - if you buy from DXE, you'll get a very repetitive 60 page "manual" on how to put the antenna together and what "accessories" you need to do it right. That manual, in my opinion is nothing but a sales gimmick to get you to buy all the supposedly required accessories. Most notably, DXE will tell you that roof mounting this antenna with resonant radials is the least optimal method. The manufacturer of the antenna, states that roof mounting with proper radials is the BEST method to install - a bit of a contradiction there. I think DXE says the roof mounted option is least desirable because then they cannot sell you the radial plate for $60. The radial plate really is not needed, not at all. The tilt mount is another option that I feel is not needed. The antenna is only 15 lbs or so, quite manageable for even one person.

I followed the directions exactly as written and included in the box (from the manufacturer - New-Tronics). Everything went well. All of the measurements were exactly as stated. Up on the roof, connected up to the rig - the worst SWR I get is about 1.3 or 1.4 to 1 (1.3:1, 1.4:1) on all stated bands except 10 meters. 10 meters is a little worse, but that band is much wider. 10 meters gives me an SWR of better than 1.8:1 at the extreme edge. I did make an air-wound common mode choke at the antenna end (I used a mason jar, wrapped 10 loops of coax as close to the antenna connection as possible, and wrapped it all with wide black electrical tape).

The only thing you will need to construct the antenna is a flat blade screwdriver, a couple of wrenches (7/16 and 3/8), wire crimpers (to make and attach the radials), and a ruler/tape measure. The only that is not in the box that should be - some penatrox or similar anti-seize type product - get some and use it to make a good contact amongst the parts - put it on every piece that connects to another piece.

Does the antenna work? It does for me - it works very, VERY, well. Verticals are supposed to be noisy? This one is no more noisy than any of the horizontals that I have. Does it receive any better? This is about the only thing I cannot fully answer - it is definitely no worse than any of the horizontals that I have - they all regularly hear Australia, Europe, Asia, etc. The 4-BTV hears all that as well. Does it transmit better? Yes - it does. Since I've had the 4-BTV on the roof, I get right in on all the DX calls. I get very good reports too. This antenna is on the roof of a split-level, so I guess the tip of the antenna is probably 55 feet high - maybe just a little more.

Would I buy it again - Why? This one is well amde and will last a long time I am sure. I won't need to buy one again. I also will not have to buy anything else, either.

In my opinion, buy one. You will be pleased.

W0JP Rating: 5/5 Oct 25, 2013 09:40 Send this review to a friend
Worth the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is a nice looking antenna with minimal profile so somewhat stealthy. My neighbor hadn't even noticed I installed it one evening!
I had this at my previous HOA restricted location and used 40 12ft(space limitation)radials with lawn staples from Home Depot in the fall and by spring I could mow no problem. I had to retune the traps because of the radials but no big deal. I added the dx engineering 17m kit and it worked like a charm as well.
When I moved I put up a Yagi but I missed the Omni directional traits of the vertical for listening for signals that you can miss on the backside of a Yagi. I decided just to mount it near my chainlink fence and use it as a counterpoise/ground for a test. It works great!! My tuning for the radials was perfect with the fence and I get 40 over 9 signals on 40m all the time vs. s7-s8 from my random wire with more noise. There are so many negative reviews about verticals but I am constantly impressed with the performance of this antenna! Radials or Chain link fence I can verify either works well. Nope its not a yagi but I made many dx contacts on 100w no problem due to the low takeoff angle. Less noise than my 20m attic dipole at my old qth as well.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2013 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Just installed, more to come later, impressed with the quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered July 3rd from DX Engineering, received July 7th and fully installed July 11th. I bought the 30 meter trap for this antenna, so now it's a 5 band model.

I already had the DX E radial plate and 72 radials of varying length from 7 to 16 feet, but am going to install 34 more radials from 6 to 16 feet. I don't have room for longer radials. I am impressed with the antenna and accessories quality. I also installed the tilt plate for the antenna, so the coax runs to the base plate, then the bulk head pass through, then a 2 foot coax to the antenna. I also bought the so239 adapter to put on the base of the antenna. I eyeballed the initial trap settings and SWR plus resistance readings are near perfect on 15, 20, and 30 meters but around 2.2 to 1 on 10 and 40 meters.

My target tuning frequencies are the common psk31 frequencies so I am at the bottom of the bands for my tuning purposes. As I check higher on the bands, the SWR and resistance rise. I plan to keep the antenna tuned for the frequenices I've indicated. I expect differences once I get the other radials on the ground. I also expect better operating with this antenna over my homebrew which I'd used mostly for 10 and 15 meters.

Definitely need guy lines in my situation, so I bought 100 feet of Dacron line from DX Engineering along with 4 hefty anchors which I ended up digging holes for them and pouring concrete around the anchors. The earth at my antenna location has not been disturbed in over 40 years but as I dig down I find a nice mix of sandy loam with very little clay.

You need radials to make a ground mounted vertical work properly. I read many reviews here and other places and its amazing that many hams don't understand that principle. I would also like to try this antenna elevated with 4 radials but don't have the structure and room for it.

I had already mounted my radial plate to a 4x4 post set in concrete and run the radials so I reconfigured the mounting by using a 2 inch OD pipe and fastening it to the post. You don't have to mount this antenna to a pipe set into the ground but I can see how it would make a nice set-up compared to what I had to go back and reconfigure.

I don't know if I will make the suggested coil out of coax to stop RF from traveling back to the shack. It isn't a problem at this time. Also, my coax is lying on the ground, not buried and does not seem to be a problem, yet, but then again, I use low power most of the time. If that matters? My RG8 coax run is about 50 feet from radio to antenna.

I'll make another review after I have used the antenna for several months or maybe less.
You can find more about my installation, eventually :), by finding me on QRZ dot com and will find a link to a personal web page.

No, this isn't a beam. But I was impressed with my homebrew vertical, having gotten New Zealand twice on 10 meters psk31 while I couldn't even hear those stations on my 100 foot inverted vee up at 52 feet fed with 450 ohm line. I expect good results with this Hustler.

I can't say enough good things about DX Engineering and the quality of the products I receive from them.

KK4KYJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Rugged, Superior Performing Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased 2 of these antennas from Dx Engineering with tilt plate and radial mounting plate. They are set up about 50 air miles apart. One installation is on a 5 acre field and has 40, 32 foot radials installed under sod, per Dx Engineering instructions. This antenna was retrofitted for 80M. The other is installed on a 1/16 acre plot with 8, 16' radials under sod. This was retrofitted for 17M and 12M. Both antennas are outstanding performers. The performance on 17 M is stunning. SWR is less than 2.0 on 10,12, 15, 17, 20, 40 meters. The BTV4 is constructed from heavy aluminum and holds adjustment. DX Engineering supplied construction and tuning instructions and hardware are marvelous. Both installations have experienced winds in excess of 60 mph without damage. My rig is an Elecraft KX3 with maximum output of 12.5 W. Over the last 6 months, I have "worked the world." Contacts often can't believe they are working a QRP station. I recommend these antennas- especially with the Dx Engineering instructions and hardware items to anyone who wants a rugged, excellent performing vertical antenna. If I failed to make myself clear, I love this antenna.

WA2SOC Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent but buy from DXE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent antenna, works nicely. I bought mine from DX Engineering and glad I did. I bought the radial plate, tilt mount and 100ft of MAX400 cable on the same order. It all worked so well that I bought an identical set for my son when he bought a new house with a nice yard.

VE3UB Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 16:25 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the 4btv antenna from a fellow ham who for some reason didnt install it. It took about 1 hour to put together following instructions for ground mount with radials. After getting it in the air I just had to see how it s
Performed I have a older Yaesu FT 7 qrp rig and put it on ghe air Wow no radials and made 5 contacts about 600 mile range on 40 meters. I got out my spool of 14 awg wire and cut 4 raials wires about 35 feet in length I have 2 in N S direction and 2 in a NW SW direction worked a station in portugal with only 10 watts on 20 meters I do have a antenna tuner connected but hada 2-1 match without it .What a great antenna I highly recommend this one simple short and sweet