Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | HUSTLER 4BTV Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER 4BTV
HUSTLER 4BTV Reviews: 108 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
More info: http://WWW.NEW-TRONICS.COM

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER 4BTV.

KM4WZU Rating: 4/5 Oct 7, 2016 17:56 Send this review to a friend
Really good!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the 4BTV at the suggestion of my local ham radio dealer, who I've known for three decades (even though I'm a new ham). The antenna went together easily, with some caveats mentioned below.
The antenna is in the center of a large flat roof over a garage, size 32x34 feet.

I've got the antenna on a base I had fabricated to fit on four 8 foot fence posts in a flat "cross" shape. At the end of each fence post is a ring for the guys. I used Para-cord as guys.

Seeing the DX-Engineering "co-ax adapter", I made my own. The radials are to the tuned lengths, and I've got four of each length, according to band. The 40m radials are "bent" to fit within the diagonal space on the roof, the rest are straight.

There are good "notches" in the SWR response using the radials laid flat on the roof, held at their ends by paver stones.

I mention all this, because there was virtually no information for an elevated antenna with flat, yet tuned radials. I "split the difference" between flat ground mounted and elevated with 45 degree radials lengths for the various sections. It was a good starting point, and I'm guessing you gotta tune up the antenna anyway, no matter what you do. The resonance is a bit low for all the bands that way, but... the traps are easily adjusted. No big deal there, the RigExpert meter made tuning easy.

My first contact was from me in Florida to a ham in New York, on 20 meters, and on the barefoot ICOM-718. With my AL-811 amp doing about 400w, I was able to contact hams in Croatia and Tunisia. Local contacts in the 200 mile range have also occurred, as well as contacts to San Diego, Nevada, and the Caribbean.

Pros: Easy to assemble, easy to tune, works very well with my own set up of elevated 12 feet on a flat roof with flat radials.

Cons: The spider hardware had some plated (non-stainless) hardware, but that was easy to replace for less than five dollars. IMHO, they should have included something akin to the DX-Engineering co-ax adapter (or the one I made with a bend piece of stainless plate). The attachment for the radials leaves a little to be desired unless you use large rings and gang up the wires in each ring.

I'm happy to the point of a "5", but the practical side of me says they could have done just a little bit better (no matter how it was installed), hence the "4". I would have given it a "4.5" but that's not an option here.

And... with the guys set at the top of trap right under the spider, and held not too terribly tight, with the base of the guys set at about a 16 foot "cross" pattern, the 4BTV survived Hurricane Matthew. We only had TS force winds of 40-45 sustained mph, with 65-70mph gusts, but still, a the 4BTV made a good show of itself in that regard.
K7DXT Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2016 07:48 Send this review to a friend
Best Deal Going if Set up Correctly  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've always wanted to love verticals but have never been able to get one to really work well. They are cheap, easy to put up, and have a small foot print. They don't get the neighbors too excited, and can work a variety of bands…all in one small package.

But my real life experience has been mediocre at best…and that only on maybe 10 or 15. Forget it with 40 meters…until now. We moved onto a 50' wide lot about two years ago that had too many obstructions for me to use my typical set up of multiple inverted V antennas.

I had purchased a new 4BTV from DX Engineering a year or more prior but never set it up. About a year ago, I built a shed/ham shack in the back yard that had a metal roof. I decided to mount the 4BTV at the apex of the roof (about 15' up), and I ran between 2 and 4 cut to frequency radials for each band that come off and down at a slight angle from the base of the antenna. I suspect the roof itself is working as a nice ground plane in addition to the radials.

It was a pleasant surprise to hear great reports back on 40 meters. I also had an end fed wire antenna up and swapped back and forth. Everyone said the vertical was much better.

The only problem I'm having is that it doesn't seem to 'hear' as well as it talks. On the 'High Noon Net' on 40 each day, I can barely hear the net control, but they tell me I've got a great signal. On 10, 15, and 20, it really seems to do well too.

It doesn't seem to me that one vertical is all that much greater than another, and I don't think you need to spend $500 to get one to work. Verticals just seem to be compromised antennas from the get-go, but they can be made to work, and work well under the right conditions. AM broadcast stations have been using them for the last century.
WA4KNT Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2015 14:07 Send this review to a friend
A new 4BTV install  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After being held into inaction by weather and real life, I finally got my new 4BTV up in the air, using the DX Engineering tilt mount. Due to my space limitations, it is attached above ground to a vertical pipe and limited radials. I still have to tune the antenna, but after checking the antenna with my analyzer, found all bands marginally usable right out of the box!

This installation has the traps for, 10, 15, 17, 20, 30 and length for 40. The only real fly in this out of the box condition, is 40 meters is about 500KC long! The others are also a small amount long except 15m. It is just a small amont short. I hope to get the tuning done shortly, but I must say that my antenna's traps were very close to being on frequency. Thanks DX Engineering.

I may add more comments after the tuneup is finished. The quality and ease of building by one person went very well.

VE6ND Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2015 04:47 Send this review to a friend
Quality at it's best  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just installed another one, three radials per band, not perfect but it works.
I've had several of these since the 70's however the trap design is better than it was, as the old formed taper eventually cracked under fatigue.
I'm not getting why people are retuning the traps to an extent where you have to adjust all parameters.
Every one that I installed only required adjusting the length of the tube sections or the counter poise.
Either you have the traps upside down (which I've seen) or some other factor. Either way you are doing something wrong.
Only thing is, they should include penetrox faith the antenna.
Great antenna, with a proven design for almost 50 years, only Mosley and Newtronics can say that.

K9RE Rating: 5/5 Nov 21, 2014 16:39 Send this review to a friend
A Best Buy!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just installed a new 4BTV and couldn't be happier with the performance! This is my second one. I finished the installation in the middle of the November phone SS and had a blast working stations from coast to coast; FL to BC, Maritimes to SD and everywhere in between on 40-10m. Most stations came back to me on the first try. I could hardly believe how well it worked!

My new 4BTV is ground mounted and I decided to get serious about radials this time after reading articles by Rudy Severns and Jerry Sevick. I got the DX Engineering radial plate and some of their accessories to make the job easier. You can install the antenna without one, but the plate makes for a neat and efficient installation that's easy to work on. I also got the S/S hardware package, U-bolt, Never-Seez, and Penetrox to protect everything. Mounting the plate about an inch above ground keeps it out of the dirt and makes attaching wires a breeze.

Currently I am using 24 radials of various lengths. I have eight 10 footers and sixteen 20 footers. I will be adding another eight 15 footers. Why the odd lengths? Partly to accommodate the limitations of my QTH and partly to help ensure the system works efficiently on all bands.

I used the manufacturer's instructions for the dimensions, but I followed the recommendations in the DX Engineering manual in other respects. The manual is really well written and I highly recommend getting a copy. My installation has a low VSWR at resonance on all bands but it approaches 2.5:1 at the upper band edge on 40. The other bands are pretty flat right across. So far I have not changed any of the settings as the antenna works well enough as is. When warmer weather comes I may do some tweaking.

My first 4BTV lasted for many years, but I never got good performance out of it because I wasn't aware of how important it is to install a radial system. Stations came in strong and I would call them back, but they never heard me. Putting in a good radial system makes all the difference!

I like the construction of the Hustler 4BTV. It's rugged and comes with S/S hardware. I prefer it to the Hy-Gain 14AVQ, which I have also owned, for two reasons. It's a little taller, which to me indicates it will be slightly more efficient, and the trap covers are made of better material. I had a problem with the Hy-Gain trap covers splitting. The Hustler traps are much better in this regard.

This antenna is an "oldie but goodie"-- it's a good value and a great performer if you install it with an effective ground system.
N4SJW Rating: 4/5 Oct 31, 2014 06:32 Send this review to a friend
Good antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I had our club's 4BTV up in my back yard for several weeks and compared to my 170 ft horizontal loop, it did quite well and at times did better. I had it tied to a fence post and my radials were abt 100 ft of chicken wire attached to the split rail fence. Worked abt 20 countries and noise level was interestingly lower than the horiz loop.

My only concern is the spider assembly and "tubes". They are quite flimsy and I knocked off 2 of them in normal setting up and lifting the antenna. They are held by a 6-32 screw with very little surface area. When I took the antenna down after about 6 weeks in dry climate (Denver metro area), one of the screws was already starting to show some corrosion. I will likely buy a 6BTV in the near future to avoid the spider assembly issues. The 4BTV is good antenna and value. I have no hesitancy in recommending it.
W2LTD Rating: 5/5 Oct 3, 2014 11:49 Send this review to a friend
Great value  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have this antenna ground mounted near the house(there was an existing pipe which once held a dish...saved me some effort) With about 20 ground radials. I've hit Belize, Canary Islands, Brazil, Cuba, Spain, and several western states on 10 meter SSB with no problems. Fairly easy install IF YOU FOLLOW DX ENGINEERING INSTRUCTIONS. This antenna was recommended by a friend and it sure was a good choice.
W2UIS Rating: 5/5 Jul 28, 2014 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Update  Time owned: more than 12 months
The replacement 4BTV has been installed ground mounted without radials. Using the recommended dimensions SWR is 1.5 or less on all four bands. First contact at 10 watts was with a station in Germany. Very pleased with the results.
HA7WX Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2014 00:59 Send this review to a friend
Good and quality product  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi Everyone! Not to mention the price, which is -even with european taxes and customs duties- spot on .
To make it short: difficult to find that level of quality for the money spent.
As a previous reviewer told: take your time. And read the manual and use your (or borrow one) antenna analyser. I have the chance to have a tape not only in cm but in inches too. I followed the intructions and corrected a little bit using my MFJ-259 analyser. SWR is 1.0 to 1.2 on those band areas of interest. Only 40m band is where i could not get the best out of the antenna but if you have a look at my qrz page, you'll find out why: i have no room to put as much 1/4 wave radials as i want and as a matter of fact i could not lower the resonance enough, and the antenna is at resonance on 7250 and should be 100 khz downer at least. No matter i am using the radio's built-in tuner to correct the SWR.
So is it performing? Yes, maybe not a yagi. But i have 5 bands (i added 1 radiator next to the antenna for 17m and it works).
Would i recommend it? Sure!
73s de ha7wx chris, catch ya on the bands! hi hi.
AA4BQ Rating: 5/5 Jun 15, 2014 08:45 Send this review to a friend
Bird house stealth  Time owned: more than 12 months

This also appeared years ago in QST when I first built it.
The bird house is made of light weight corrogated plastic and then painted. It's quite attractive and as a plus, it rests flatly on top of the capacitance hat to hide that. To complete the disguise, a non-functional pulley is visible at the top of the vertical and imitates the ones commonly seen on Martin poles to raise and lower the house for seasonal cleaning. This justifies the "half-mast" appearance as well. It has been up 12 years and works great down by the water and over a buried system of radials. It's a very good antenna for DX in my opinion.

(Sorry guys, I have no design plans available. I just drew it out and hot-glued it as I went. It weighs about a pound or less.