Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | HUSTLER 4BTV Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER 4BTV
HUSTLER 4BTV Reviews: 101 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 4 BAND TRAP VERTICAL ANTENNA
More info: http://WWW.NEW-TRONICS.COM

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER 4BTV.

DC2AC Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 01:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Value but no plug and play  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm new to Ham radio, and this is my first antenna.
I decided to go for a vertical because it is easily
set up-that's what I thought. I chose the Hustler
mainly because of its low price, not much money wasted if it didn't work. When it arrived I marveled at the quality of the material. Fit and finish are excellent, and I had put it together in
under two hours with the recommended factory settings. I also laid out twelve radials with the Tarheel ground plate. Then came the great moment.
After hoisting it up I checked the SWR. It was well over ten on all bands, a complete failure. You can't TX out of band, so I had no clue
where the resonant frequencies were or if it didn't work at all. Well I got me an antenna analyzer which is available here in DL as a kit
from a local Ham magazine. I soldered it together
and checked again. It did resonate but miles away,
up to a full Mhz. Then came the tedious labor of
putting the Hustler up and down a countless number of times, my back is still aching. I also
had to tune the traps themselves. I finally got the SWR to below 1.3 an all bands. Now I have
worked A6,CN, AU and even CE, an 8.000 mile hop
barefoot.
You do get the usual blind spot of about 300 miles around your QTH, but not always. The closest
workable station was just 40 miles away.
No, you can't break pile ups dominated by the guys with their skyrocketing monoband beams.

KA1ICA Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2012 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for several years. For the price, it is an example of real value. It has withstood two near hurricanes. It has done all I have asked it to do. It does require ground radials.....I have 25. Purchased it and all accessories from DX Engineering.

N3LKA Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2012 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Great simple antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two of these years ago at a hamfest and made one out of both, with some spare parts left over. It's a vertical plain and simple, but it's tough. I've been using this as a backup antenna for the last 5 years and when Hurricane Sandy threw 70+ wind gusts at it recently, I had no problems with it what so ever.

I did the 12/17 meter mod, and added the 75 meter resonator up top. It's no yagi, but it's tough, did I say that before?

Also mine is ground mounted, and YES, you need to run radials. I cut all 12 of mine for 40 meters with one cut for 75 meters and it works. My back yard is not that big, and for spots that are too tight for full length, be creative, put them in zig zag patterns, you won't be disappointed. I laid the radials over my lawn and used electrical staples to hold them down. Three years after moving into my new qth, the grass has covered them all up.

KK4AXX Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2012 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Even rebuilt from bits & pieces  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My 4BTV came from a fellow HAM that had two headed to the scrapyard. I took the two, cleaned up all the bits, and used some from each to build ONE complete 4BTV.
Previously I had built a 17 Meter copper pipe vertical that was mounted to a four foot tall 4x4 in the middle of my back yard with a dozen or so telephone wire radials just under the grass and a home-grown balun made on a T200-2. I simply mounted the 4BTV on the opposite side of the 4x4, split the feed with the 17 Meter, and commenced tuning.
I expected to have major issues. Yet, the home-grown 17 blended right in with only the slightest tweak in overall length (a design feature). Across the bands I have no worse than a 1.7:1 at one or two points. Reports have been stellar considering the 4th hand radio I'm running. First day in operation I made my first contact with Japan and since have picked off even more decent DX - all barefoot.
In this operators opinion, this is top-of-the-line equipment and anyone with a little patience and a spool of wire for radials can have it up and running in an afternoon.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2012 08:49 Send this review to a friend
SUPER VERTICAL  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm antenna restricted and I use the 4BTV along the creek.
I never use radials because I have excellent soil conductivity.
I spent a full day tuning it and have just about zero SWR on all 4 bands.
I just wish I can get a higher spot to mount it.
It is a bit rough to use portable but I break it down into two sections and just leave it in the station wagon.
I have worked into Netherlands,and as far as Germany with 4 watts showing on the HB1A rig with AA batteries.
I'm in the lowest spot and still received a 559 report.
A bit of a pain for portable work but if I am going to stay out most of the day then i'll use it.
I paid $90.00 shipped and that vertical really does a super job.
BOB
AF2Q

N8SUT Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2012 07:16 Send this review to a friend
affordable and it works!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Remember that old saying "Good stuff ain't cheap and cheap stuff ain't good."? Well, there is an exception to every rule! I don't consider the BTV-4 to be a particularly expensive antenna, but the performance and durability for the price is amazing. There are however a couple side notes that go with that...As others have stated, it takes at least 20 radials, a coax balun, and patients to make it work. You really need an antenna analyzer to get this system set up and resonate--you can do it without, but I wouldn't recommend it unless the swear jar is low on funds! Also highly recommended is the DX Engineering package with tilt over base, coax adapter, radial plate, radial wires, and better instructions. I added one of their baluns specifically designed for this setup and was glad I did. When installed properly, the "bands" are narrow, so I would also recommend a tuner.

My install:
The only place I have for a vertical is smack in the middle of my front yard. So, I have mine inside a standard schedule 40 pvc pipe with a pully, rope, a couple spacers, and an American Flag. The BTV-4 WILL FIT INSIDE A STANDARD 2" SCHEDULE 40 PVC, BUT you need to remove the black plastic trap covers, lose the capacity hat, and align all your clamps to make it fit. Once inside the pvc pipe with a 4" cap on top with a 2"reducer drilled and threaded for a pully, it is weather tight and the trap covers are not needed. To tune or service, I lower the flag, lift up the white trash can covering the base and balun(looks like a formed concrete base from the street), tilt it over and simply pull the pvc pipe completely off and I'm good to go for tuning and maintenance. I also have 20 ground radials 20' in length. This system has stood in 65mph gusts with winds 35-40mph so far with no issues and it is not guyed. Performance is fairly good all things considered. I use it mostly on 40m, 10m and last night my first ever 6m contact. Simply put, it is alot of work to tune and set up properly, but once up, it just works.

VA7VO Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2012 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Just installed this one on my roof with a radial system zig zagged around roof. No surprises here, if yours doesn't work you are probably doing something wrong. Radials, follow the manual and no problem. My 3rd one in 33 years and it also works on 6 meters as a 5/8 or there abouts because 15 meters works as an electrical portion of this antenna.

W3END Rating: 5/5 Dec 19, 2011 10:48 Send this review to a friend
Does the job for me  Time owned: more than 12 months
I waited to do my review until I got a chance to tune the antenna. I have the antenna ground mounted with 35 radials which are arranged in a not so perfect arrangement but nonetheless they are down. My yard is on the small side so I arranged them in the best layout as I could. I have the tilt over plate and radial plate, both recommended in my opinion. I've worked a lot of DX and stateside with this so it does do a respectable job. For a lower priced vertical this does exactly what you would expect but you'll most likely have to lay down some radials (the more the better) and tune the traps to get a good or better swr. I finally tuned the traps today and it made a big difference. So if you are looking for a low cost vertical the Hustler should fit your needs. I also will put in a plug for DX Engineering which is where I bought mine, they provide excellent customer service and tech support if you need it. One more note, I did purchase and install the 75/80 meter resonator for mine which works fine.

KB2HSH Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2011 17:54 Send this review to a friend
Affordable Performance  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I became the owner of my 1972-ish Hustler 4BTV when I bought it used from a local ham. After some considerable work to bring it back to new condition, it was ready to install in its current location. After minor tuning according to DX Engineering instructions, including adding 2 radials per band, I found the worst SWR is on 20 meters at 2.0:1. On 40 and 10 meters, I have a near 1:1 match. Since installation, I have gone from 8 to 16 radials. The performance has improved considerably.

During the 2011 CQ WW RTTY, I had the chance to REALLY push this antenna with a whopping 5 watts. The DX was almost easy to work. (Sure, the hard work was done on the other end, but it still made me heard).

Installation and tuning is a breeze. The performance, even with low power, makes this antenna a keeper.

As a side note of interest, in its current configuration, I am even getting a low SWR and decent performance on 6 meters...a hidden bonus!

Worth the money (even though I paid $35 used!)

K6NM Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2011 15:13 Send this review to a friend
Great - even without radials!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my 4BTV for almost 20 years, and added the 30m mod about 5 years ago. It's been at 4 QTH's, two of those installations *without any radials* at all (ground mounted). And it got out great, with decent SWR (1.3- 1.4 at resonance). No more than 2.1:1 at any band edge; not bad for no radials!

Now, I have the old veteran ground-mounted with just 4 radials tuned for 40 m. All band edges at SWR 1.5 or better, and dips of 1.05 to 1.2. I just worked into Europe today (F's and G's) from New Mexico with 300 W SSB on one call.

I've even disguised it as a flagpole, inside 2" PVC tubing. The PVC dropped the resonant frequencies on each band (down 150 kHz on 40m), but after re-tuning, it worked as good as ever! And it made a sharp looking flagpole as well.

I'm just saying that my experiences over the last 20 years are *fact*, not uninformed opinion. As you read comments on this antenna, you'll have to sift out the facts from the hot air. Hey, it's the internet!

Tuning is easy, if you can follow the manual instructions exactly. Start with 10m and work your way up the antenna. An SWR meter is all you'll need unless you're adding a band expansion kit - then you *might* need an antenna analyzer. I feed mine with RG-213X, and use 5 turns of it as a coax balun at the antenna base.

It took me about 40 minutes to assemble and tune my BTV at my new QTH. It's mounted on a 1-1/4" steel pipe driven in about 3 feet. No tilt-over - the ant only weighs 15 pounds and is easy to remove and replace on the base for tuning, as long as there's less than 5 mph of wind.

Speaking of wind, my tough 4BTV survived 60 mph tornadic winds in Atlanta without guys or damage. I just added poly/dacron guy cords at my new QTH because we get Spring winds here that commonly gust to 70 mph.

This baby won't let you down! + 5 out of 5 +