Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | HUSTLER 4BTV Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER 4BTV
HUSTLER 4BTV Reviews: 106 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 4 BAND TRAP VERTICAL ANTENNA
More info: http://WWW.NEW-TRONICS.COM

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER 4BTV.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Jul 11, 2013 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Just installed, more to come later, impressed with the quality  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Ordered July 3rd from DX Engineering, received July 7th and fully installed July 11th. I bought the 30 meter trap for this antenna, so now it's a 5 band model.

I already had the DX E radial plate and 72 radials of varying length from 7 to 16 feet, but am going to install 34 more radials from 6 to 16 feet. I don't have room for longer radials. I am impressed with the antenna and accessories quality. I also installed the tilt plate for the antenna, so the coax runs to the base plate, then the bulk head pass through, then a 2 foot coax to the antenna. I also bought the so239 adapter to put on the base of the antenna. I eyeballed the initial trap settings and SWR plus resistance readings are near perfect on 15, 20, and 30 meters but around 2.2 to 1 on 10 and 40 meters.

My target tuning frequencies are the common psk31 frequencies so I am at the bottom of the bands for my tuning purposes. As I check higher on the bands, the SWR and resistance rise. I plan to keep the antenna tuned for the frequenices I've indicated. I expect differences once I get the other radials on the ground. I also expect better operating with this antenna over my homebrew which I'd used mostly for 10 and 15 meters.

Definitely need guy lines in my situation, so I bought 100 feet of Dacron line from DX Engineering along with 4 hefty anchors which I ended up digging holes for them and pouring concrete around the anchors. The earth at my antenna location has not been disturbed in over 40 years but as I dig down I find a nice mix of sandy loam with very little clay.

You need radials to make a ground mounted vertical work properly. I read many reviews here and other places and its amazing that many hams don't understand that principle. I would also like to try this antenna elevated with 4 radials but don't have the structure and room for it.

I had already mounted my radial plate to a 4x4 post set in concrete and run the radials so I reconfigured the mounting by using a 2 inch OD pipe and fastening it to the post. You don't have to mount this antenna to a pipe set into the ground but I can see how it would make a nice set-up compared to what I had to go back and reconfigure.

I don't know if I will make the suggested coil out of coax to stop RF from traveling back to the shack. It isn't a problem at this time. Also, my coax is lying on the ground, not buried and does not seem to be a problem, yet, but then again, I use low power most of the time. If that matters? My RG8 coax run is about 50 feet from radio to antenna.

I'll make another review after I have used the antenna for several months or maybe less.
You can find more about my installation, eventually :), by finding me on QRZ dot com and will find a link to a personal web page.

No, this isn't a beam. But I was impressed with my homebrew vertical, having gotten New Zealand twice on 10 meters psk31 while I couldn't even hear those stations on my 100 foot inverted vee up at 52 feet fed with 450 ohm line. I expect good results with this Hustler.

I can't say enough good things about DX Engineering and the quality of the products I receive from them.

KK4KYJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 8, 2013 19:25 Send this review to a friend
Rugged, Superior Performing Antenna  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased 2 of these antennas from Dx Engineering with tilt plate and radial mounting plate. They are set up about 50 air miles apart. One installation is on a 5 acre field and has 40, 32 foot radials installed under sod, per Dx Engineering instructions. This antenna was retrofitted for 80M. The other is installed on a 1/16 acre plot with 8, 16' radials under sod. This was retrofitted for 17M and 12M. Both antennas are outstanding performers. The performance on 17 M is stunning. SWR is less than 2.0 on 10,12, 15, 17, 20, 40 meters. The BTV4 is constructed from heavy aluminum and holds adjustment. DX Engineering supplied construction and tuning instructions and hardware are marvelous. Both installations have experienced winds in excess of 60 mph without damage. My rig is an Elecraft KX3 with maximum output of 12.5 W. Over the last 6 months, I have "worked the world." Contacts often can't believe they are working a QRP station. I recommend these antennas- especially with the Dx Engineering instructions and hardware items to anyone who wants a rugged, excellent performing vertical antenna. If I failed to make myself clear, I love this antenna.

WA2SOC Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2013 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Excellent but buy from DXE  Time owned: more than 12 months
Excellent antenna, works nicely. I bought mine from DX Engineering and glad I did. I bought the radial plate, tilt mount and 100ft of MAX400 cable on the same order. It all worked so well that I bought an identical set for my son when he bought a new house with a nice yard.

VE3UB Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2013 16:25 Send this review to a friend
great antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the 4btv antenna from a fellow ham who for some reason didnt install it. It took about 1 hour to put together following instructions for ground mount with radials. After getting it in the air I just had to see how it s
Performed I have a older Yaesu FT 7 qrp rig and put it on ghe air Wow no radials and made 5 contacts about 600 mile range on 40 meters. I got out my spool of 14 awg wire and cut 4 raials wires about 35 feet in length I have 2 in N S direction and 2 in a NW SW direction worked a station in portugal with only 10 watts on 20 meters I do have a antenna tuner connected but hada 2-1 match without it .What a great antenna I highly recommend this one simple short and sweet

W5VK Rating: 5/5 Apr 1, 2013 20:07 Send this review to a friend
Does the job!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this Hustler vertical since mid 70's and it's now at the third "home". First in a back yard ground mounted with radials, next out in the country ground mounted with ground rods and now mounted on a chain link fence. It has worked every time. For a simply mounted vertical antenna.... it works great.

DC2AC Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2012 01:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Value but no plug and play  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm new to Ham radio, and this is my first antenna.
I decided to go for a vertical because it is easily
set up-that's what I thought. I chose the Hustler
mainly because of its low price, not much money wasted if it didn't work. When it arrived I marveled at the quality of the material. Fit and finish are excellent, and I had put it together in
under two hours with the recommended factory settings. I also laid out twelve radials with the Tarheel ground plate. Then came the great moment.
After hoisting it up I checked the SWR. It was well over ten on all bands, a complete failure. You can't TX out of band, so I had no clue
where the resonant frequencies were or if it didn't work at all. Well I got me an antenna analyzer which is available here in DL as a kit
from a local Ham magazine. I soldered it together
and checked again. It did resonate but miles away,
up to a full Mhz. Then came the tedious labor of
putting the Hustler up and down a countless number of times, my back is still aching. I also
had to tune the traps themselves. I finally got the SWR to below 1.3 an all bands. Now I have
worked A6,CN, AU and even CE, an 8.000 mile hop
barefoot.
You do get the usual blind spot of about 300 miles around your QTH, but not always. The closest
workable station was just 40 miles away.
No, you can't break pile ups dominated by the guys with their skyrocketing monoband beams.

KA1ICA Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2012 18:06 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned this antenna for several years. For the price, it is an example of real value. It has withstood two near hurricanes. It has done all I have asked it to do. It does require ground radials.....I have 25. Purchased it and all accessories from DX Engineering.

N3LKA Rating: 5/5 Nov 15, 2012 14:05 Send this review to a friend
Great simple antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought two of these years ago at a hamfest and made one out of both, with some spare parts left over. It's a vertical plain and simple, but it's tough. I've been using this as a backup antenna for the last 5 years and when Hurricane Sandy threw 70+ wind gusts at it recently, I had no problems with it what so ever.

I did the 12/17 meter mod, and added the 75 meter resonator up top. It's no yagi, but it's tough, did I say that before?

Also mine is ground mounted, and YES, you need to run radials. I cut all 12 of mine for 40 meters with one cut for 75 meters and it works. My back yard is not that big, and for spots that are too tight for full length, be creative, put them in zig zag patterns, you won't be disappointed. I laid the radials over my lawn and used electrical staples to hold them down. Three years after moving into my new qth, the grass has covered them all up.

KK4AXX Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2012 16:50 Send this review to a friend
Even rebuilt from bits & pieces  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My 4BTV came from a fellow HAM that had two headed to the scrapyard. I took the two, cleaned up all the bits, and used some from each to build ONE complete 4BTV.
Previously I had built a 17 Meter copper pipe vertical that was mounted to a four foot tall 4x4 in the middle of my back yard with a dozen or so telephone wire radials just under the grass and a home-grown balun made on a T200-2. I simply mounted the 4BTV on the opposite side of the 4x4, split the feed with the 17 Meter, and commenced tuning.
I expected to have major issues. Yet, the home-grown 17 blended right in with only the slightest tweak in overall length (a design feature). Across the bands I have no worse than a 1.7:1 at one or two points. Reports have been stellar considering the 4th hand radio I'm running. First day in operation I made my first contact with Japan and since have picked off even more decent DX - all barefoot.
In this operators opinion, this is top-of-the-line equipment and anyone with a little patience and a spool of wire for radials can have it up and running in an afternoon.

AF2Q Rating: 5/5 Aug 22, 2012 08:49 Send this review to a friend
SUPER VERTICAL  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I'm antenna restricted and I use the 4BTV along the creek.
I never use radials because I have excellent soil conductivity.
I spent a full day tuning it and have just about zero SWR on all 4 bands.
I just wish I can get a higher spot to mount it.
It is a bit rough to use portable but I break it down into two sections and just leave it in the station wagon.
I have worked into Netherlands,and as far as Germany with 4 watts showing on the HB1A rig with AA batteries.
I'm in the lowest spot and still received a 559 report.
A bit of a pain for portable work but if I am going to stay out most of the day then i'll use it.
I paid $90.00 shipped and that vertical really does a super job.
BOB