Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | HUSTLER 4BTV Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER 4BTV
HUSTLER 4BTV Reviews: 99 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 4 BAND TRAP VERTICAL ANTENNA
More info: http://WWW.NEW-TRONICS.COM

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER 4BTV.

KB3MUB Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2009 15:39 Send this review to a friend
4-btv  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well i just put up this antenna on my roof with only 2 radial per band and so far im getting report of s9 plus live in philadelphia and done talking to florida s9 plus puerto rico same and work cople of states here so far so good im happy with it 73ssss

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2009 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Traps Need Adjustment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great value @ $125.00, well built and worthy of all the good reviews. However if your QTH has a good ground system with proper radials and a good soil condition the traps will be tuned wrong. Hustler warns against retuning them and even indicates your warranty will be void. At my qth the 4btv was over 1MHZ off. Hooking up a MFJ 259 and it showed this miss tuning.
10m resonated @ 27.400 (at the high end of CB band)
15m resonated @ 20.500 mhz
20m resonated @ 13.400 mhz
40m was the only band within specs and came in around 1.5

After fighting not tuning the traps for 2-3 hours and up & down several times I finally took the plunge and everything fell into place. Now all bands are 1.5 or less across the entire band. BTW if you buy your Hustler from DX Enging. they include instructions on how too tune these traps PLUS assure you any 4-5-6 BTV from them will be warranty if you tune the traps.

You read other reviews about how they just opened up the box put this antenna together and drove a 4 foot pipe into the ground and it is perfect with perfect s.w.r. and this is the reason. Hustler tunes the traps for this operator. Yes he has great s.w.r. but he also has a very poor (if he only knew) working stick in the mud that works equally poor in all directions.

W8JX Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2009 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Decent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna used 15 years ago and placed it out in a field next to house. It is fed with 175 feet of coax and mounted on a 6 foot steel fence post driven 5 feet in ground. Silly thing still works great and is very flat on 40M too. (1.3 or less) It has no radials and responds well to tweaking and tuning. Many years ago I added a 80M add on kit to it and it has about 60kc below 2 to 1 with 1.3 at resonance. It works well and always get good signal reports. Mostly use in on 40 and it gets to Australia or Europe well (59 or better)running about 800 watts. It really works better than it should and has required no repairs in 15 years of use.

W1EMQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2009 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my 4BTV in 1971, used it in 3 QTHs both ground and roof mounted with radials. Put it away after 4th relocation to Central NY and it sat in the garage for 17 years. On July 9, I drove a 4' pipe into the backyard, put the antenna together, mounted it and attached coax. Fired up my Drake TR-4 on 40 cw, called CQ, and worked stations of 500-900 miles away with 599 sigs. This is a great 4-band antenna with provisions to add 30 meters and 75/80 meters with options. Although I don't have one yet, plan to order from DXEngineering the female coax mount for the base for quick connect/disconnect of coax. This antenna is less expensive than a beam, does not require a rotor, takes up little space, survives all the elements for decades, and is a solid performer.

N8CMQ Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2009 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I inherited my 4btv from a silent key in the early eighties. I set it up ground mounted with many random radials, and it worked the world!
I modified it per a QST article by Sevic and extended the lengths and the bandwidth improved!
I went off the air for an extended time, and am setting it up once again, however, I am being a little more scientific this time, I have 130 30+ foot radials on the ground this time!
For a 30+ year old, rebuilt twice antenna, it has held up fine and works like a dream!

WB3DDF Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2009 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had my 4BTV for about two months. Installation was very easy. The manual was written well. I installed it with the DX Engineering fold over mount, SO239 connector and radial plate. I first ground mounted it without radials. Then after I install 20 radials the antenna came alive. I now have 60 radials and decided to tune it. I bought the MFJ 259B analyzer and that was a big help. I was able to tune the antenna nicely by making small adjustments to the traps. For those that gave reviews for other BTV verticals and said that they couldn't get it to tune must either have a defective antenna or bad installation because I was able to tune my 4BTV without a problem. Never been a big fan of verticals in the past because they never worked for me, now I know why, I didn't add radials. I highly recommend the Hustler vertical.

WA4JM Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2008 14:54 Send this review to a friend
A great Antenna For Less Than $200  Time owned: more than 12 months
I came into possession of a used 4BTV. Considering the age of the antenna, I was impressed with the quality of the construction. You always take a chance on used stuff but I downloaded manual, tweaked the lengths and was pleasantly happy to find that the antenna came into spec rather quickly. The antenna is ground mounted with only two radials per band. Anyone living in Florida knows that the ground conductivity sucks big-time so am adding more wire.

I found the performance to be excellent for DX. For local contacts on 75 meters I still use wire.

This is a great antenna for those on a budget and living in CCR Hell.

73, John

K9FON Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2008 15:24 Send this review to a friend
radials are MANDATORY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this verticle and put it up. When i started out i did not plan to install radials I just wanted to see if i could get the antenna to tune however, I plan on installing about 50 radials later when the weather gets nicer. I could not get it to tune at all on 10 meters and i even shortened the traps. No avail. So i broke out the snow shovel and shoveled a path for 6 radials. Fortunately, the ground was not frozen so the ground staples went in easy. After installing the 6 radials the antenna tuned. For some reason the antenna is hard to tune on 10 meters but 15 20 and 40 tune very easily. I plan to install more radials this spring or summer but for now it works pretty well.

But for anyone that is planning to buy a 4 BTV dont try to use it with no radials. It won't tune. Plan on installing at least between 20 and 60 radials.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2008 06:33 Send this review to a friend
Best vertical bang for the buck.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I used one of these 30 years ago, mounted on the house roof with radials, and was very happy with it. Recently, I acquired a newer, slightly used one, and ground mounted it with 8 radials to start. I have to say I am very, very, impressed. It does about the same job on long haul as my dipoles,even better in some directions, and fills in the spots where the dipoles are weakest. I measured it right from the book, installed it on a short metal fence post driven into the ground, connected radials just laid on the ground, and it works perfectly. I will probably add to my radial field, and bury them, as I go along, but overall, I have to say this is a fine antenna. At the prices it is available for from DX Engineering, is the best buy in a multi band vertical antenna, bar none. But DO install a good radial system under it. My radials, being on the ground, are not tuned lengths;most are random 25 to 30 feet or so long. I will probably add 30 meters and 17 meters to it in the future.

PD1JP Rating: 5/5 Oct 10, 2008 15:10 Send this review to a friend
Excellent performer  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I imported this antenna from DX Engineering into PA. Compliments for the excellent service from DX Engineering. After installing it on the roof top here at 10m height, I had to recalibrate all traps. It took me about 4-5 hours to get it tuned. With 4 radials for each band, 10m, 15m, and 20m, SWR is under 1.5 on all three entire bands. On 40m I only have 2 radials pointing East and Southeast, SWR there is still under 2.0 across 70% of the band.

I have tested it against full size 1/4 GP's on 10m and 20m, and the 4BTV does the same job. It is not a great DX antenna for 40m, but still I have heard some VK over here with it. When I work into Europe, I easily break through pile-ups with just 25W, probably because it does an impressive job at the somewhat higher take off angles.

It is well constructed. But I do not like how it bends around the lower tube section when it's windy. Here 15km from the coast, it is causing too much stress on the bottom parts. So I have modified the antenna and replaced the top 32mm diameter tube (the 1.5m above the spider) with a 10mm diameter tube. Now the wind load on the top section has decreased, decreasing the stress on the lower parts. It's electrical performance has not changed with this modification.