Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF Verticals and Wire | HUSTLER 4BTV Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER 4BTV
HUSTLER 4BTV Reviews: 101 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 4 BAND TRAP VERTICAL ANTENNA
More info: http://WWW.NEW-TRONICS.COM

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER 4BTV.

K1ESM Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2010 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna - simple, cheap, effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am now at my second QTH with my Hustler 4BTV.

I decided to write this review after having my single most enjoyable day of being a ham operator. I just put my new Ameritron AL-811 amplifier in line with my trusty TS-2000. I tuned everything up for 14.280 MHz and called CQ after confirming the freq was no in use.

I did not get a pile-up, but instead had a steady stream of stations respond for around an hour. The great part was that the stations were located at many, many different angles and ranges and the vertical configuration of this antenna with ground radial handled this condition with ease.

I have the antenna mounted to a 4' water pipe pounded a couple feet into the ground. I purchased the antenna, fold-over bracket, ground radial plate, and radial kits from DX Engineering. It's great that they included the instructions for adjusting the traps, because that's what I needed to get the tuning correct with 24 32' ground radials. Once I adjusted the traps I had a great antenna that was resonant right where I wanted it with max SWR around 2.3:1.

I have since added the DX Engineering 17 Meter kit and the Hustler 75 Meter radial.

I was able to take the entire assembly down then re-install it in a new location without any breakage of any components. The antenna is rugged and well-built. I highly recommend the DX Engineering fold-over bracket if you are thinking about buying one of these (or any vertical) antennas. Also tuning is much easier with an antenna analyzer and getting true resonance as opposed to using the rig and running back and forth to check the SWR only.

Overall I love the price, durability, and simplicity of this antenna.

AB5NX Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2009 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1990 I was given this Hustler 4-btv antenna.I was not a ham at the time and really had no use for it.The antenna laid out side against the house for for 10 years.We moved to the country and the antenna laid out in a field for another 10 years.My oldest son and I were cleaning up the yard when he found it.Covered in dirt and grime.Found out what it was on google. Rebuilt it including the traps,replacing the rivets with screws.Modified it to do 12 and 17 meters.Have just 8 radials mounted on ground and have the use of 6 bands at good swr.Works Great,have worked a lot of DX.It's a keeper. Dennis

KB3MUB Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2009 15:39 Send this review to a friend
4-btv  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well i just put up this antenna on my roof with only 2 radial per band and so far im getting report of s9 plus live in philadelphia and done talking to florida s9 plus puerto rico same and work cople of states here so far so good im happy with it 73ssss

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2009 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Traps Need Adjustment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great value @ $125.00, well built and worthy of all the good reviews. However if your QTH has a good ground system with proper radials and a good soil condition the traps will be tuned wrong. Hustler warns against retuning them and even indicates your warranty will be void. At my qth the 4btv was over 1MHZ off. Hooking up a MFJ 259 and it showed this miss tuning.
10m resonated @ 27.400 (at the high end of CB band)
15m resonated @ 20.500 mhz
20m resonated @ 13.400 mhz
40m was the only band within specs and came in around 1.5

After fighting not tuning the traps for 2-3 hours and up & down several times I finally took the plunge and everything fell into place. Now all bands are 1.5 or less across the entire band. BTW if you buy your Hustler from DX Enging. they include instructions on how too tune these traps PLUS assure you any 4-5-6 BTV from them will be warranty if you tune the traps.

You read other reviews about how they just opened up the box put this antenna together and drove a 4 foot pipe into the ground and it is perfect with perfect s.w.r. and this is the reason. Hustler tunes the traps for this operator. Yes he has great s.w.r. but he also has a very poor (if he only knew) working stick in the mud that works equally poor in all directions.

W8JX Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2009 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Decent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna used 15 years ago and placed it out in a field next to house. It is fed with 175 feet of coax and mounted on a 6 foot steel fence post driven 5 feet in ground. Silly thing still works great and is very flat on 40M too. (1.3 or less) It has no radials and responds well to tweaking and tuning. Many years ago I added a 80M add on kit to it and it has about 60kc below 2 to 1 with 1.3 at resonance. It works well and always get good signal reports. Mostly use in on 40 and it gets to Australia or Europe well (59 or better)running about 800 watts. It really works better than it should and has required no repairs in 15 years of use.

W1EMQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2009 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my 4BTV in 1971, used it in 3 QTHs both ground and roof mounted with radials. Put it away after 4th relocation to Central NY and it sat in the garage for 17 years. On July 9, I drove a 4' pipe into the backyard, put the antenna together, mounted it and attached coax. Fired up my Drake TR-4 on 40 cw, called CQ, and worked stations of 500-900 miles away with 599 sigs. This is a great 4-band antenna with provisions to add 30 meters and 75/80 meters with options. Although I don't have one yet, plan to order from DXEngineering the female coax mount for the base for quick connect/disconnect of coax. This antenna is less expensive than a beam, does not require a rotor, takes up little space, survives all the elements for decades, and is a solid performer.

N8CMQ Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2009 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I inherited my 4btv from a silent key in the early eighties. I set it up ground mounted with many random radials, and it worked the world!
I modified it per a QST article by Sevic and extended the lengths and the bandwidth improved!
I went off the air for an extended time, and am setting it up once again, however, I am being a little more scientific this time, I have 130 30+ foot radials on the ground this time!
For a 30+ year old, rebuilt twice antenna, it has held up fine and works like a dream!

WB3DDF Rating: 5/5 Feb 10, 2009 13:28 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have had my 4BTV for about two months. Installation was very easy. The manual was written well. I installed it with the DX Engineering fold over mount, SO239 connector and radial plate. I first ground mounted it without radials. Then after I install 20 radials the antenna came alive. I now have 60 radials and decided to tune it. I bought the MFJ 259B analyzer and that was a big help. I was able to tune the antenna nicely by making small adjustments to the traps. For those that gave reviews for other BTV verticals and said that they couldn't get it to tune must either have a defective antenna or bad installation because I was able to tune my 4BTV without a problem. Never been a big fan of verticals in the past because they never worked for me, now I know why, I didn't add radials. I highly recommend the Hustler vertical.

WA4JM Rating: 5/5 Dec 27, 2008 14:54 Send this review to a friend
A great Antenna For Less Than $200  Time owned: more than 12 months
I came into possession of a used 4BTV. Considering the age of the antenna, I was impressed with the quality of the construction. You always take a chance on used stuff but I downloaded manual, tweaked the lengths and was pleasantly happy to find that the antenna came into spec rather quickly. The antenna is ground mounted with only two radials per band. Anyone living in Florida knows that the ground conductivity sucks big-time so am adding more wire.

I found the performance to be excellent for DX. For local contacts on 75 meters I still use wire.

This is a great antenna for those on a budget and living in CCR Hell.

73, John

K9FON Rating: 4/5 Dec 24, 2008 15:24 Send this review to a friend
radials are MANDATORY  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got this verticle and put it up. When i started out i did not plan to install radials I just wanted to see if i could get the antenna to tune however, I plan on installing about 50 radials later when the weather gets nicer. I could not get it to tune at all on 10 meters and i even shortened the traps. No avail. So i broke out the snow shovel and shoveled a path for 6 radials. Fortunately, the ground was not frozen so the ground staples went in easy. After installing the 6 radials the antenna tuned. For some reason the antenna is hard to tune on 10 meters but 15 20 and 40 tune very easily. I plan to install more radials this spring or summer but for now it works pretty well.

But for anyone that is planning to buy a 4 BTV dont try to use it with no radials. It won't tune. Plan on installing at least between 20 and 60 radials.