Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | HUSTLER 4BTV Help

Reviews Summary for HUSTLER 4BTV
HUSTLER 4BTV Reviews: 104 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $119.99
Description: 4 BAND TRAP VERTICAL ANTENNA
More info: http://WWW.NEW-TRONICS.COM

You can write your own review of the HUSTLER 4BTV.

WB4TJH Rating: 5/5 Sep 11, 2010 21:41 Send this review to a friend
Works well with good radial system  Time owned: more than 12 months
I just got this antenna out of the garage where it has been stored since I moved to SW Missouri from south Florida almost a year ago. This afternoon, I drove a 30 inch piece of water pipe in the ground, laid a dozen 25 foot radials, one of which connects to an underground water pipe, and two to chain link fences, and put the antenna up. SWR is not bad, but will take just a bit of tweaking. Tonight I managed to work several DX stations in Europe with 95 watts SSB on 40 and 20 meters. I had one of these antennas about 35 years ago, and was well pleased with it then. The real secret is to get a GOOD radial/ground system under it, and it will perform. I plan to add probably another 8 or 10 radials as I go along, but as usual, the 4BTV, properly mounted and tuned, is doing it's job very well. I found some cheap lawn staples at Lowe's, plus 500 feet of 17 guage aluminum electric fence wire for $9. The small diameter aluminum wire makes fine radials and gives good performance; best of all, it's a cheap ground system. My 140 foot Cobra Ultralite Senior at 40 feet outperforms the 4BTV for moste stateside contacts, but the Hustler really comes into its own on the long haul DX, where most of the time it equals or even betters the wire antena. Low angle radiaton really pays off for the long haul DX. It's a good, multiband antenna, but performance strictly depends on the quality of the radial system under the antenna.The only thing I have added to the antenna is the DX Engineering coaxial feet plate, so I can directly screw in a PL-259. That feed plate is well worth the 20 bucks I paid for it.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 12, 2010 14:26 Send this review to a friend
Great Performer!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
NOTE UP FRONT THAT VERTICAL ANTENNAS OF THIS KIND WILL NOT WORK WELL WITHOUT SOME KIND OF RADIAL FIELD. Got the 4BTV used and added a few minor replacement parts from DX Engineering. I used the presets suggested in the instructions downloaded from DX Engineering (use those rather than the ones from Hustler). Though I probably have a little little touching up in length to do, the antenna loaded right up on 40 and I had a quick QSO with a W9 near Chicago. Note that I though I have a typically small suburban backyard, I laid down a radial field of 36 radial wires, each 32 feet long. DX Engineering suggests that it's better to lay down many radials of equal length that to try to cut radials to match bands. The 4BTV is quite unobtrusive in the back yard. I highly recommend the DXE radial plate and the tilt-over mount... makes raising and lowering the antenna MUCH easier and attaching the radials a simple and secure job. I'm VERY impressed with this simple, low cost vertical. DX Engineering seems to have the most experience setting these up, and I really recommend using their instructions and tuning tips.

KE7JFA Rating: 0/5 May 9, 2010 15:41 Send this review to a friend
Waste of time  Time owned: more than 12 months
Looks impressive but tuning is a PITA.
I have limited space and cannot run a bunch of wires all over my yard.
You have to constantly screw around with this antenna,
If you have 300 acres than this antenna is for you.
Complete garbage.
You get a better SWR with a wire antenna.
Tried mounting on a mast and same results.
I am probably going to sell it for a decent antenna.

Cmon Hustler, get it together.

K1ESM Rating: 5/5 Jan 3, 2010 18:47 Send this review to a friend
Great antenna - simple, cheap, effective  Time owned: more than 12 months
I am now at my second QTH with my Hustler 4BTV.

I decided to write this review after having my single most enjoyable day of being a ham operator. I just put my new Ameritron AL-811 amplifier in line with my trusty TS-2000. I tuned everything up for 14.280 MHz and called CQ after confirming the freq was no in use.

I did not get a pile-up, but instead had a steady stream of stations respond for around an hour. The great part was that the stations were located at many, many different angles and ranges and the vertical configuration of this antenna with ground radial handled this condition with ease.

I have the antenna mounted to a 4' water pipe pounded a couple feet into the ground. I purchased the antenna, fold-over bracket, ground radial plate, and radial kits from DX Engineering. It's great that they included the instructions for adjusting the traps, because that's what I needed to get the tuning correct with 24 32' ground radials. Once I adjusted the traps I had a great antenna that was resonant right where I wanted it with max SWR around 2.3:1.

I have since added the DX Engineering 17 Meter kit and the Hustler 75 Meter radial.

I was able to take the entire assembly down then re-install it in a new location without any breakage of any components. The antenna is rugged and well-built. I highly recommend the DX Engineering fold-over bracket if you are thinking about buying one of these (or any vertical) antennas. Also tuning is much easier with an antenna analyzer and getting true resonance as opposed to using the rig and running back and forth to check the SWR only.

Overall I love the price, durability, and simplicity of this antenna.

AB5NX Rating: 5/5 Nov 19, 2009 15:22 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
In 1990 I was given this Hustler 4-btv antenna.I was not a ham at the time and really had no use for it.The antenna laid out side against the house for for 10 years.We moved to the country and the antenna laid out in a field for another 10 years.My oldest son and I were cleaning up the yard when he found it.Covered in dirt and grime.Found out what it was on google. Rebuilt it including the traps,replacing the rivets with screws.Modified it to do 12 and 17 meters.Have just 8 radials mounted on ground and have the use of 6 bands at good swr.Works Great,have worked a lot of DX.It's a keeper. Dennis

KB3MUB Rating: 5/5 Nov 17, 2009 15:39 Send this review to a friend
4-btv  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
well i just put up this antenna on my roof with only 2 radial per band and so far im getting report of s9 plus live in philadelphia and done talking to florida s9 plus puerto rico same and work cople of states here so far so good im happy with it 73ssss

K9CRT Rating: 5/5 Oct 1, 2009 09:22 Send this review to a friend
Traps Need Adjustment  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great value @ $125.00, well built and worthy of all the good reviews. However if your QTH has a good ground system with proper radials and a good soil condition the traps will be tuned wrong. Hustler warns against retuning them and even indicates your warranty will be void. At my qth the 4btv was over 1MHZ off. Hooking up a MFJ 259 and it showed this miss tuning.
10m resonated @ 27.400 (at the high end of CB band)
15m resonated @ 20.500 mhz
20m resonated @ 13.400 mhz
40m was the only band within specs and came in around 1.5

After fighting not tuning the traps for 2-3 hours and up & down several times I finally took the plunge and everything fell into place. Now all bands are 1.5 or less across the entire band. BTW if you buy your Hustler from DX Enging. they include instructions on how too tune these traps PLUS assure you any 4-5-6 BTV from them will be warranty if you tune the traps.

You read other reviews about how they just opened up the box put this antenna together and drove a 4 foot pipe into the ground and it is perfect with perfect s.w.r. and this is the reason. Hustler tunes the traps for this operator. Yes he has great s.w.r. but he also has a very poor (if he only knew) working stick in the mud that works equally poor in all directions.

W8JX Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2009 16:36 Send this review to a friend
Decent Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought this antenna used 15 years ago and placed it out in a field next to house. It is fed with 175 feet of coax and mounted on a 6 foot steel fence post driven 5 feet in ground. Silly thing still works great and is very flat on 40M too. (1.3 or less) It has no radials and responds well to tweaking and tuning. Many years ago I added a 80M add on kit to it and it has about 60kc below 2 to 1 with 1.3 at resonance. It works well and always get good signal reports. Mostly use in on 40 and it gets to Australia or Europe well (59 or better)running about 800 watts. It really works better than it should and has required no repairs in 15 years of use.

W1EMQ Rating: 5/5 Jul 10, 2009 17:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my 4BTV in 1971, used it in 3 QTHs both ground and roof mounted with radials. Put it away after 4th relocation to Central NY and it sat in the garage for 17 years. On July 9, I drove a 4' pipe into the backyard, put the antenna together, mounted it and attached coax. Fired up my Drake TR-4 on 40 cw, called CQ, and worked stations of 500-900 miles away with 599 sigs. This is a great 4-band antenna with provisions to add 30 meters and 75/80 meters with options. Although I don't have one yet, plan to order from DXEngineering the female coax mount for the base for quick connect/disconnect of coax. This antenna is less expensive than a beam, does not require a rotor, takes up little space, survives all the elements for decades, and is a solid performer.

N8CMQ Rating: 5/5 May 20, 2009 19:33 Send this review to a friend
Great vertical antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I inherited my 4btv from a silent key in the early eighties. I set it up ground mounted with many random radials, and it worked the world!
I modified it per a QST article by Sevic and extended the lengths and the bandwidth improved!
I went off the air for an extended time, and am setting it up once again, however, I am being a little more scientific this time, I have 130 30+ foot radials on the ground this time!
For a 30+ year old, rebuilt twice antenna, it has held up fine and works like a dream!