Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Kent Twin Paddle Key Help

Reviews Summary for Kent Twin Paddle Key
Kent Twin Paddle Key Reviews: 111 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $149.95
Description: RA Kent Dual Paddle Keyer

You can write your own review of the Kent Twin Paddle Key.

WY4J Rating: 5/5 Jun 24, 2012 09:55 Send this review to a friend
One of the BEST!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been trying out CW paddles for the last 36 years. I've found some great one, some good ones, okay ones and just one "VERY" popular paddle that I have to say is just plain horrible.

Now, this is my personal preference and opinion. You might feel very different about what I am about to say. But this is why there are hundreds or even thousands of CW key, bugs and paddles out there.

This little Kent Twin Paddle will give a Begali, a N3ZN and a N0SA a run for their money. I'm only including some (not all) top name paddles that are at least in the $250+ range. I'm not into the hardness or softness of the little rubber feet, the texture of the the base, the finish of the brass or whether old man Kent is a nice guy or not. I'm not going to marry this little paddle or put it up on an altar in my shack. Just judging design, function, mechanical and easy of sending and for the life of me, I cannot find anything negative to say and for $150 shipped from HRO it's a steal. Did I say it's just a pleasure to send with it...

G3XAP Rating: 5/5 Apr 27, 2012 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Superb  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've used the Kent paddle for about 12 years, having bought it second hand. I adjusted it when I got it and haven't had to touch the adjustment since - despite regular use.

I like the wide paddle spacing and the fact that it doesn't "wander around" during use.

All in all a superb product.

Phil G3XAP

K1VI Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2012 19:48 Send this review to a friend
Update .. Still superb!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
My first review was just after assembling the kit, and now many months later, it is simply the BEST key I have used. Keeps its setting, stays put on the desk, easy to use. My other two keys are getting dusty... Reading the previous reviewer's comments made me re-visit the website. It's clearly shown as priced in GBP not euros, so I don't know what the confusion could have been. My only pricing regret, was I realized after buying the key direct, I could have paid a little less if I ordered it from AES -- I didn't realize at the time it was available anywhere but direct. But Robert was pleasant to deal with, and I am happy all around.

W8NIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 04:19 Send this review to a friend
PERFECT !!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
i.ve had mine for 3 years and have had no issues at all. and to cap it off, it looks good too.
highly recommended.

KC9GT Rating: 5/5 Dec 18, 2011 23:29 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding value and great customer svc from Valley Ham Shack  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased the Kent TP-1 kit and was very impressed. Very good component quality and nice design at an excellent price. I appreciate the Begali, Shurr and others, but for $130 this key can't be beat. It feels very good and settings remain consistent. I purchased it from Valley Ham Shack and had a minor problem with my kit. Brian was very responsive and sent out the new part immediately. Great customer service.

LA9DAA Rating: 5/5 Dec 2, 2011 13:57 Send this review to a friend
Superb !  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have 2 of these and they are my favorite paddles. Also owned lots of other paddles; Begali Graciella. Schurr profi etc. All sold because I prefer the very stable and never failing Kents.

ON4LDU Rating: 5/5 Sep 29, 2011 14:21 Send this review to a friend
Great and Silent !  Time owned: more than 12 months
Got my Kent 2ndhand from my friend ON5SA Michel.
Just little dust off and some adjustements later...What a great surprise abt this paddle !
Spacing is less than 0,05 mm and it keeps the adjustement since more than 1 year.
I've got some others, Bencher, Begali, Ten tec Keyer, Kenpro...For the moment my favourite.
If you got one, sure you'll love it.
73's de Al

EI3GD Rating: 5/5 Sep 5, 2011 15:16 Send this review to a friend
Get one!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Just received a 2nd hand Kent from a fellow Ham via eBay. I was a little anxious after reading some reviews below, but all were laid to rest when I get this on my desk. It's a solid piece of engineering. It can be set for the lightest of fingers with iphone-like sensitivity, or heavy for desk pounders. The gap between the paddles is nothing to worry about, I had a Bencher before the Kent and had no problem adjusting myself.

After reading about the brass tarnishing, my first job was to strip and clean with wire wool. This was an easy process and had the key looking new in no time. Then to seal the deal I taped up the contact points and screw threads before applying a light coat of car lacquer spray. No more tarnishing for this key!

My second mod was to replace the feet with more solid rubber pads, the original rubber pads have a centre screw hole for mounting, this made the pads slightly flexible which allowed the key to move slightly left and right. The new pads are self-adhesive square type which are far more solid and donít have any give in them at all.

Then for added grip, I cleaned my polished wooded desk with alcohol to remove any oil/grease from the surface.

The Kent is a solid little key and well deserves a 5 rating. I would have to say itís great value if purchased new and a steal at second hand prices. Itís fully maintainable with spares available from Kent Engineering directly, though I hardly think many people will need spares, this key is so well built.

So if you come across one of these, don't think twice about itÖ get one for yourself.

73's
Ray

AA8OY Rating: 4/5 Apr 28, 2011 17:19 Send this review to a friend
Decent but some Issues  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had this key for more than 10 years and overall it's pretty decent. However as it aged, the finish on the brass became discolored and I had to completely disassemble, rebuff and relaquer the brass. Came out looking great. About two years ago, it became "sluggish" and the problem was the bearings were inhibiting free movement. Bearing lube did not help. I ultimately replaced the bearings with new and all is well once again. I use it daily and am satisfied with its performance and feel.

AH6OY Rating: 5/5 Jan 21, 2011 22:54 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic Keys  Time owned: more than 12 months

I was given my first used twin paddle a little after I first started out. Love the key. I would plop the key on a cushioned arm chair logging with a clip board with paper and many times knocked it off leaving the room. That key is stored away after many deployments. I purchased another iambic Kent key after franticly trying and finding a source in the states for the key. It is finally available at some stores. I am not sure where I got my new one from.

Anyway after the brass racer fell from grace having some sort of Hawaii weather caused rust making intermitent problems with contact areas other than the contacts I finally pulled out the most favored key I have. The keys is fantastic like one says. You can set the contacts down to molecules and take off from there.

Pro's
1. Highly adjustable
2. Heavy weight
3. Solid brass works that don't rust in humid climates.
4. Sealed bearing pressed into the machines solid brass.
5. Doesn't take a big chunk of operating space.
6. Tight tolerences on parts.
7. Silver plated contacts
8. No light parts flexing or wiggling.

Cons
1. You'll be looking for another if you left the old one in storage.
Things I don't advise.
1. Knocking it off an arm chair. It sends shivers through you.

I just searched and it looks like Alpha-Delta is the distributor of the Kent keys. I see Kent keys listed on HRO from Alpha-Delta.