Reviews Categories | SWR & Wattmeters & Dummy Loads | Telepost LP500/LP700 by Larry N8LP Help

Reviews Summary for Telepost LP500/LP700 by Larry N8LP
Telepost LP500/LP700 by Larry N8LP Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $Approx 800 - 950
Description: LP500/LP700 Digital Station Monitor, Power/SWR/Spectrum & Measurement Analyzer.
More info: http://www.telepostinc.com/

You can write your own review of the Telepost LP500/LP700 by Larry N8LP.

KD0ZV Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2017 14:00 Send this review to a friend
Amazing station monitor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I always enjoy buying stuff from Larry N8LP as you know his equipment is top notch and his support is A+.

My only two complaints are:

1) It took almost a year to get one even though the delivery time I was told at time of purchase was "as long as six months".
2) Getting the two tone to work properly was a challenge as I had secondary waveforms superimposed on my actual two tone signal. The manual says you might need an isolation transformer and some sort of attenuation if you use the 8 pin foster connector. I used a W2IHY iBox to accomplish both.

I was not the only one having this issue as about 1/2 dozen of us worked through the problem together. In my case on top of the W2IHY unit I had to sand paint from the inside of my Astron to provide a better connection from the ground lug to the case. Oddly enough others found out removing the wire from the case fixed their issue.

Once I got past the two tone issue the unit jumped to life and worked great. Its a little over the top if you are just using it as a watt meter but it does a fine job at that. It really shines given that it includes a signal generator so you can inject 2 tone, 400hz, 1khz, white noise and also pink noise. The unit has a wave form monitor (WFM) and also a limited use Spectrum Analyzer which actually allows you to test IMD values of your transmitter. It also allows you to check linearity on your amplifier with trapezoid but requires a second coupler.

The software that runs on the PC is a work in progress and not 100% complete. Currently, it has a flicker problem on my machine that drives me crazy so I don't use it. It basically duplicates what you see on the actual LP-500.

Highly recommended and it will probably get better as time goes on since it is firmware upgradable.

VK4SX Rating: 5/5 Sep 6, 2017 02:21 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Hi very nice accurate meter, the 7" version is a must for old eyes, nice large bright display,
nice to condense CleanRF gear into a meter and a couple of sensors,
I have had most of the # 1 power meters, the closest for accuracy is the SMORF by micorham, the LP-700 is more general ham friendly unit,
6 months use so far and love it,
I have a pair of LP-100A as well, but the LP-700 spoils you,
another nice Telepostinc product,

Cheers

Dennis vk4sx

M6LDZ Rating: 5/5 Jul 4, 2017 07:58 Send this review to a friend
terrific  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Only had the LP 700 for a couple of weeks and have found it a great addition to the shack.
I am struggling to work out how to connect the test signals to my FT5000 and would appreciate it if anyone has any advice that they can give me. I can then report on the ability to put the station through some comparative tests.
The display is great in the 7" version and being able to monitor transmitted audio and CW profiles is very useful. As is seeing how little power the Expert requires to drive it with the two transducers either side of it. I had my name on the list for a couple of years and am very glad I did.
Trevor MTDZ (now)

W9CNN Rating: 5/5 Jul 2, 2017 20:53 Send this review to a friend
LP-700 Superb Digital Station Monitor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Preliminary:

_I became aware of the development of the LP-500 / LP-700 almost 2 years ago and have recently taken delivery on the larger model, along with Qty (4) LPC-501 Couplers.

_The LP-700 is not your legacy Bird Wattmeter & Heathkit HO-10 "Monitor Scope" with 2 tone generator duo. It is an "Analytical Instrument" for monitoring, measurement, and signal QC evaluation beyond that which has been available in an integrated unit until now. The LP-500 & LP-700 are of enviable design "conception", and of equally worthy respect in design, manufacturing execution, and support. The Yahoo Groups informational flow, in support, has been such that it is hard to imagine one man doing all that Larry has done as a "Gentleman Engineer".

_The installation began with the attachment of 2 couplers directly to the back of my Alpha 99 amplifier using double male UHF adapters. The couplers are uni-directional and I was able to invert the output coupler orientation such that the coupler's measured output data network connector cleared the upper-top of the Alpha cabinet. Jumper cables may be needed with different installations / amplifiers.

_ I did not measure the millivolt or dBm output, of the tone generator output as the documentation refers to a 250 ohm output impedance. Audio dBm measurement is impedance specific and I do not have a calibrated instrument at that Z. My audio processing chain includes an analog mixer, followed by a Jensen Direct-Box Transformer which feeds the Kenwood TS-590S rear audio/data input. Typical small analog audio mixers typically offer both balance/unbalance Low Z microphone and unbalanced Hi-Z inputs. In my installation, the output of the LP-700 tones source did not effectively drive the mixer Hi-Z input, but effectively drove a microphone input when the mic input was set to receive a mono unbalanced source. Mixer configuration was such that audio processing did not follow when the LP-700 tones were selected so that the tones arrived at the transceiver input as intended. My understanding is that N8LP has an interface in the works for the average user that uses transceiver / transmitter microphone audio inputs directly.

_My dummy load is a ancient Bird_Termaline_Load_Resistor Model 8572/73. It is a 25KW rated air cooled unit that resides in the basement, directly below the shack. The load, with it's 3" transmission line to SO239 adapter, no longer measures exactly 50 ohms. Originally used at VHF, it is close enough to 50 ohms for my purposes on HF. The dummy load is on a antenna tuner antenna switch. I took the opportunity to "match" to the load and the LP-700 showed SWR at 1.01:1 with beautiful display resolution and accuracy!

_Initial testing of the Telepost LP-700 went very well! Waveforms immediately revealed fine linearity problems that I had been unable to determine previously. Amplifier drive levels are under review and there was an unexpected finding of amplifier output beyond my expectations. The old Autek Research WM 1 Computing Meter (wattmeter) didn't tell the Alpha 99 output power story accurately! It is comforting to know that the LPC-501 couplers and LP-700 have power calibration that is "traceable" in verification.
_Sadly, I had to end my initial testing as my Central AC does not adequately handle the radio shack. The radio shack temperature was becoming too high.

_This review focuses more on my installation than on signal analysis, I realize. I'll try to write something more informative going forward.

_For now, I want to say "Superb" and Highly Recommended! Thanks Larry!

Thanks For Taking The Time,
Randall
W9CNN

W8KEN Rating: 5/5 May 9, 2017 19:39 Send this review to a friend
LP-500 Great Station Accessory by N8LP  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I received my LP-500 SN 00117 a few months ago.

My station has evolved over the years. Most of my attention is now focused on several monitors, a keyboard and a mouse directly in front of me with my main radios placed to the right so I can easily reach and tune them. Unfortunately this puts my HF, VHF, and UHF Amplifiers out of site far to the right (HF) or behind me (VHF / UHF) making it difficult to monitor their performance.

My LP-500 (just to the right of my monitors) enables me to monitor Average and Peak Power as well as SWR for all of my transmitting equipment at a glance.

The LP-500 has auto switching to instantly show whatever exciter / amplifier combination is being used. Now when I am running MSK144 on 6m, SSB or CW on HF or 2m EME, I know at a glance that my power output is correct and that my SWR is low. If either jumps above a preset limit the LP-500 sounds an alarm, instantly warning me that something is wrong.

In addition to these always used features, Larry has built many other waveform displays and features to evaluate station performance in a small enclosure with a high resolution easy to read display.

The LP-500 performance far exceeds the old monitor scopes available in the 60's. Unfortunately there has been little to no waveform monitor devices available for many years until Larry's development of the LP-500.

I now have one device, the LP-500 with 4 remote couplers, to monitor any exciter, amplifier, and mode of transmission combination that I choose to use at any moment.

The LP-500 is a commercial quality piece of equipment which performs to expectations and is readily upgradable via USB connection as new features become available.

As an addition Larry has developed LP-500 Virtual Meter software that will port the LP-500 display to your PC's monitor in case you wish to remote the LP-500 or view a larger display. The VM display is very nice and Larry is adding new features regularly.

I recommend the LP-500 (or LP-700), am pleased with it's performance and rate it a 5 out of 5.

NG7M Rating: 5/5 Nov 16, 2016 21:20 Send this review to a friend
Another Telepost Inc N8LP Commercial Quality Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I took delivery of serial number #46 this last week. The wait was well worth the end result!

Having assembled an LP-100A and LP-PAN2 as kits and seeing the support and performance of these previous two products, I knew I would be getting something special from N8LP in an LP-700.

With so much mediocre equipment being peddled on the Amateur Radio market, it's so refreshing to see something like Larry's products appear and thrive. Opening the LP-700 could only remind me of opening the Begali 60th anniversary paddle or opening the Elecraft K3 kit. There is a category of quality that can't be matched in certain products based on the creators. The LP-500/700 is right up there, no doubt about it.

Is the LP-500/700 inexpensive? Of course not... you get what you pay for and if you want something special, you will need to save your pennies and pony up for the quality and performance experience rendered by the LP-500/700. Not to mention the personal touch and support that goes along with quality products that exceed expectations.

Congrats to Larry for the time and effort to produce a classic product that will only get better with time and tweaks to the firmware and computer display monitoring software.

Max NG7M

N5YY Rating: 5/5 Oct 20, 2016 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Great now even better  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is am update to my previous review. In that review, I was very pleased with my LP-700. My only comment was about the screen timers. N8LP said these could be changed in a future firmware update.
Well, an update was placed on line today with an update to the timers! Larry has also been keeping the User Guide updated on line. I now consider this a perfect station monitor. If you are not familiar with the LP500/700, I strongly suggest you go to the LP-500 web site and watch the intro video.

Thank you Larry!

NG9W Rating: 5/5 Sep 26, 2016 12:10 Send this review to a friend
LP-700 Excellent Instrument  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received mine at the end of last month after being on the wait list for over five years. Excellent piece of equipment. Once Larry gets caught up with production backlog, I'm looking forward to the completion of the Virtual Monitor for Windows and to a firmware upgrade to measure IMD3 in PSK modes.

W6OPO Rating: 5/5 Aug 18, 2016 11:06 Send this review to a friend
LP-700 - Great instrument!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using my brand new LP-700 daily since Monday (8/15/2016 4 days ago) when it was delivered. Wow nice display (touch screen too) and was an easy install and it is easily navigated. I have three couplers in use.

Larry your video on the TelePost site http://www.telepostinc.com/ was very helpful. Im still looking for how to set the max-power lines in Setup but that isnt very important. Auto seems to do just fine.

The power out both in Average and PEP and SWR with Peak-Hold is nice and big easy to read in the default display.

Although Im still on the learning curve it is nice to see and confirm the CW wave from produced by the TS-990S. With the cursors it was easy to measure the rise and fall times (also voltage). I was then able to adjust them in the radio (menu) and confirm the change on the LP-700. I hate key-clicks and would shudder to think my radio was producing them.

The split waveform and trap display is indispensable too. Verifies the amplifier is properly tuned distortion free.

Next is to make up a cable to insert the 2-tone audio signal into the mic jack. The ACC jacks Line-In is busy. I want to see the IMD display to see just how well the TS-990S handles those products.

Thanks Larry for such a feature rich and quality product. Now I will be retiring the Heathkit HO-10 to the Collins S-Line. At least they are in the same era 1960s. Just a note the HO-10 provides maybe 1/10th of the information the LP-700 delivers.

Sleep Mode The TS-990S has a Molex jack on the back for Kenwoods high power external antenna tuner. It provides 12VDC at 4 amperes. With a PowerPole converter cable I have the LP-100A, microKEYER II and LP-700 powered from it. Now these units come on and off with the rig. Convenient.

Bob W6OPO
San Jose, CA

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Aug 7, 2016 08:46 Send this review to a friend
Digital Station Monitor  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have the LP-700, the 7" touch-screen version. Bright screen with sharp resolution from all viewing angles. The LP-500/700 includes a built-in high-performance SWR/wattmeter, waveform analyzer, and spectrum analyzer. It has replaced all other wattmeters and scopes on my station desktop.

Uses external RF couplers - up to four can be selected for station monitoring at different points along a transmission path (e.g., two couplers for trapezoid amp linearity adjustments). Each coupler connects to the desktop analyzer with a CAT-5/6 cable.

Another impressive and well-designed product by N8LP.