Reviews Categories | Microphones | Ten Tec 705 Desk Mic Help

Reviews Summary for Ten Tec 705 Desk Mic
Ten Tec 705 Desk Mic Reviews: 11 Average rating: 4.8/5 MSRP: $79.95
Description: Older model desk mic. for Ten Tec rigs
More info: http://www.tentec.com

You can write your own review of the Ten Tec 705 Desk Mic.

KC6RCM Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2014 13:44 Send this review to a friend
Nice.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased the 705 with my Ten Tec Omni V, in 1990 and never experienced any issues with it. With voltage available at the mic connector on my transceiver, the 9 volt battery is not required... nice.

I have tried other microphones briefly over the years, but none have compared to the electret element 705. With good audio reports and excellent reliability, it would make a nice addition to any station.

W8AAZ Rating: 4/5 Feb 5, 2009 19:04 Send this review to a friend
Move on to the latest.....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I reviewed this mic with a Jupiter in the past. It worked really well and got great reports. Now I have an OMNI VI. Rather than butcher up the thing trying to mod it, I sold it with the Jupiter and got one of their new 708 mics. Actually the looks of the 708 did not get me excited at first. But now that I have one, I must note it is superior from the standpoint of being a more substantial mic and is taller and stays put better. If you have a 705, don't despair, still a great mic, but if you are looking for a new mic for a TT, I would seriously look at the newer 708 which is a step up for me. Ask the factory about compatibility of this and your T.T. If they say it will work, they ought to stand behind it, as compared to brand X mics. It is an omni dynamic too. Have you seen the schematic of the 705?! Lot more to go bad in that little package.

VA3ZW Rating: 5/5 Feb 2, 2008 19:37 Send this review to a friend
well made--good sound  Time owned: more than 12 months
A well made mic that performs well.

K1FPV Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2006 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Great Mic For The Money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I actually own 3 of these mics. I built the kit version, the #1201 which Ten-Tec still sells for about 2/3 the price of the old finished mic. Too bad that Ten-Tec doesn't make that finished version anymore.

At any rate, I use them on my Jupiter, Argo V and my 526/6N2. Always get teriffic audio reports on all 3 rigs. I took one and put it on an audio spectrum analyzer with a Bruel & Kjaer artificial mouth as a sound source. I was surprised to see it was relatively flat from about 40 Hz. through 9 kHz where there was a slight peak of about 1 dB and level till about 14 kHz. Not bad for an inexpensive element. Almost as good as the electret broadcast elements.

W8AAZ Rating: 5/5 May 28, 2004 21:24 Send this review to a friend
THE mike for your TENTEC  Time owned: more than 12 months
When I got my Jupiter, I decided to cheap out and try the mikes I already had, a Turner with an electret element wired into it, a D104, and whatever else I had lying around. Well the Turner was just fair, the D104 drove me nuts trying to get consistent results, also fighting RF feedback with it, but then I finally coughed up the cash and got the 705. If you don't want to spend countless days playing around with mediocre results for the most part, hook up this mike and set it and forget it. Consistent good reports of audio, usually very excellent reports. You can adjust up the mic. gain pot inside the radio to try to run those other low output mics and stuff but why bother and mess it up? Easy success with this mike and Jupiter.

KC4YLX Rating: 5/5 Oct 21, 2002 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Best for me!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I used a Heil Goldline with my 756PRO and loved it. I put the 756PRO back in the box after getting a Jupiter! The Goldline just didn't sound as good with the Jupiter so I ordered the 705. I have been getting great audio reports and I don't ask for them. I am not running any kind of EQ'ing equipment between the 705 and the Jupiter,... I just don't need it!

I am sure (shure) you will love this mic.... get one and give it a try. You can install a 9V battery in the base if you don't have the voltage available at the mic connector on your rig.

Now if Ten Tec will make a boom mountable version it this gem, I'll have everything!

This is the second one I have owned as I had a Pegasus before the 756PRO.

K8DSS Rating: 5/5 Jul 25, 2001 10:41 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Mic.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have used the Ten Tec 705 microphone with my Omni Six Plus for about two years. It is easy to operate on PTT and VOX. The reports I receive have always been favorable, even with a naturally bassy voice. I have tried the Heil HC-5, but it does not have sufficient output to drive the Omni.

KE4WY Rating: 5/5 Jul 15, 2001 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Audio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After purchasing an OMNI VI+ and Pegasus I recently purchased a 705. My reports indicate the audio is very natural sounding. I have listened to this mic into another receiver and am very pleased with the audio. A number of years ago I pickup a used 705 and adapted it to use with Icom rigs and noticed the audio was much clearer and less bassy than their mics (SM-6, SM-8, SM-20). One nice addition that has been added to this mic you no longer have to add a battery to power the mic it gets it's voltage through the rigs mic connector. You always had the option of doing this; However TenTec now does it for you. Excellent product.

KF4DHE Rating: 5/5 Dec 16, 2000 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Awsome Mic!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Tried every kind of microphone out there on my Kenwood 850 and nothing beats this little jewel! Outstanding audio and takes very little effort to set up and get sounding great. I've heard these on 870's and 570's and they sound just as good on these rigs as well. If you own a Kenwood do yourself a favor and get one of these, you wont be sorry.

N4EKV Rating: 5/5 Sep 7, 2000 01:21 Send this review to a friend
Unsolicited "great audio" reports!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's small, lightweight, unassuming, and just plain works great! I use it with a Ten Tec Corsair II and can't count the kudos my sation's audio gets.