Reviews Categories | Keys & Paddles | Palm Pico Single Help

Reviews Summary for Palm Pico Single
Palm Pico Single Reviews: 7 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $- 90 EU
Description: Palm Pico Single Paddle model PPS: a tiny, precision single-lever Morse paddle
More info: http://www.palm-radio.de

You can write your own review of the Palm Pico Single.

KD8IIC Rating: 5/5 Oct 12, 2016 23:15 Send this review to a friend
Great Little Key!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Wanted something to fit the top, front or side of my MFJ9200 portable QRP rig. The Palm mini straight key and the single lever mini fit but still a bit too large.
The Pico single paddle is the answer. Can't wait til they bring out a matching Pico straight key.
Excellent design and build quality. My third Palm.
Morse Express is the dealer to contact for super quick delivery. Best to call Marshall for ordering. Beats the voice mail.
You'll be happy with your Palm Keys!

W7BV Rating: 5/5 Jun 30, 2016 11:17 Send this review to a friend
Update to previous review  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As indicated in N7EDK's review, there is a remedy to allow vertical mounting of the Pico Single on the side of a KX1, KX2, etc. Hannes at Palm Radio also emailed the remedy to me after reading my review.. Great service!! Once done, the key works flawlessly. As a result, I now rate the Pico Single a s 5 . Thanks to both Hannes and N7EDK.

N7EDK Rating: 5/5 Jun 29, 2016 19:30 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding craftsmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is an outstanding SL paddle for it's size, I also have it's big brother, Palm Single which is just as outstanding.

The Pico SL is a perfect match for my KX1, KX2 and KX3. It's ideally suited for use on the KX1 with the Pico Plate installed on the right side.

One reviewer mentioned the fact that it would not function after rotating the case 90 degrees and snapping back into the QM.

I contacted Hannes at Palm Radio and he told me what was needed to remedy this.

Pull the paddle out of the case and insert it into the opposite end.
There are three holes on the bottom of the case, one slightly smaller than the other two.
This is where the button on the bottom of the paddle will snap into and hold the paddle secure,
the paddle will be slightly recessed.
Rotate the case 90 degrees and snap into the QM, problem solved.

These are quality made keys that work as well or better than the big boys out there, and cost a lot less !

I own five Palm Radio keys now ! They have become my favorites. I would highly recommend these keys, operation is smooth and solid.

KD9CDF Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2016 18:53 Send this review to a friend
Yes, it's small and convenient. But, ...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is my first Palm product, and I am impressed.

While not inexpensive, the Pico Single represents a reasonable value to me. Not only does the paddle have a nice, adjustable action, but included accessories complete what is a "keying solution" rather than merely a paddle:

- The manual is professionally printed in color, complete, and wonderfully concise.
- The hinged plastic case is an excellent touch, especially with its forethought in design.
- The quick release mount provides a good-looking way to secure the paddle.
- The adjustment tool is conveniently stored in the quick release base so the user always has it handy and does not lose it.
- Even a connection cable is included—-complete with connectors at both ends. (It did not go unnoticed that the paddle conveniently has an built-in connector and does not require additional wiring for use)

Amateur radio operators pay hundreds more for keys from vendors who shamefully do not have the completeness of vision to include a n y of these components for a keying solution. Vendors may offer paddles in other “categories”, but I submit that paddles need these components for a complete, easily connected, easily adjusted, easily used, and easily stored/transported keying solution.

I have no financial interest in Palm Radio or other relationship--just as a customer.

KD9CDF Rating: 5/5 Jun 27, 2016 15:59 Send this review to a friend
correction  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Same great rating, but I need to make a correction: I incorrectly wrote, "However, the manual explains how it can alternatively be configured as a sideswiper for "cootie"-type operation.
"
That explanation in the manual about "cootie-type" operation applies to a different model (the Palm Single, bigger brother to the Palm Pico Single of which I wrote).

Sorry for any confusion I may have created.

DL1SDZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2016 14:33 Send this review to a friend
Amazing piece of craftsmanship  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
And works like a rock even between big fingers.

When you think that everything is said and done and you can settle down with the things you have, you will be astonished with this new keyer: the Palm Pico Single.

The construction follows closely his big sister the “Palm Single”. There is no perceivable difference concerning material, mounting of the lever and possible adjustments.

Of course you have to adjust the pressure according to the tiny size, but when you found the sweet spot the Palm Pico Single works like the big one and even like the boat anchor models. No difference.

I liked especially the tactile and acoustic feedback for the lever is rigid and has no vertical movement.

I needed some time to find the right spot were to touch the paddle with my fingers, but that is normal: You have to train your fingers.

After a short time I was up to my normal speeds between 20 and 30 wpm.

I use that keyer since two or three months. In the moment it is connected to the “Mountain Topper Radio”, but in the next days it will do his work with the new Kx2. It is truly an amazing piece of craftsmanship which beats the world record in size. But please don’t dare to make it even smaller: It has just the right size and weight.

I have written a review in the German Hamradio Journal “CQ-DL”
http://www.palm-radio.de/press/CQDL_04_2016.pdf and of course I have no commercial connection to Palm-Radio.

G5VZ Rating: 5/5 Jun 21, 2016 08:48 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This single-paddle key is truly small! It weighs almost nothing (Less than 10g) and its appearance is that of a toy.
But once the 2.5mm jack is plugged into the key and it is settled down, clamped by two rare earth magnets bonded into its base, you very soon forget about its diminutive metrics. Because it handles exactly as you'd expect from a well-designed, well-made key.
I have used a Palm Pico Single over the last six weeks or so. Now, I was converted to single-paddle, horizontal action a while ago by the Palm Single (The PS-ABS). So it's true I already have a feel for the action that comes from the design work of Dieter, Hannes and their colleagues in Ulm, Germany. And that design effort has been brought to life in the engineering of the production model of this key.
Yes, it is seriously small but it is also a serious key. A little gem.