Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng GT-5TP Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng GT-5TP
Baofeng GT-5TP Reviews: 3 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $48.99
Description: 2016 BaoFeng GT-5TP Tri-Power 1/4/8W Two-Way Radio, Dual
Band VHF/UHF 136-174/400-520MHz

Tri-Power: High / Mid / Low Power (8W/4W/1W)
128 groups channels storage
Channel Step: 2.5 / 5 / 6 .25 / 10 / 12.5 / 25 KHz
Low Battery Alert
Roger Set
Emergency Alert
More info: http://www.radioddity.com/us/baofeng-gt-5tp-two-way-radio-dual-band-vhf-uhf-136-174-400-520mhz-tri-power-1-4-8w.html

You can write your own review of the Baofeng GT-5TP.

WB6MAX Rating: 5/5 Oct 5, 2016 22:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio! Great Price!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Disclaimer: “The distributor has provided me with this product free of charge or discounted price for review and feedback based on my first-hand usage of the product."

I received the Baofeng GT-5TP about a week ago. First thing I noticed was how solid it felt. I own 2 other Baofeng radios and this one definitely feels a step above. I would say it feels more like my Wouxun then a Baofeng.

After charging the 2000mAh battery that comes with this radio I checked the transmit power with a Daiwa watt meter going into a dummy load. On low power I was getting 1˝ watts, medium power 5 watts and high power 7˝ watts. The power seems good but what would it be like in a real world situation?

I decided to use this radio to check in on our local ham radio net located on a 445.240 repeater. I was indoors using the supplied antenna. On low power I hit the repeater but had a lot of background noise. On medium power I had light background noise and on high power, full quieting. The extra few watts definitely helped me out. I had the same results on simplex. I like the duel frequency push button, it made working and listening to 2 repeaters at the same time easy. Having a duel frequency, high power radio should make working satellites with a portable antenna easy and fun.

With moderated use at high power I was able to use the radio for 3 days before it needed recharging. This is better than any of the other radios I use.

The manual that comes with the GT-5TP actually made sense. It wasn’t like reading a bad translation but one written in English. Programming the radio is like all the other Baofeng radios, a pain. I used a free program called CHIRP for easy programming of the GT-5TP using the UV-82HP dropdown setting. Another feature I like is the lighted keyboard. This makes programming or changing menu items easy.

I own several Baofeng radios because they are cheap and they work well. If I drop one and break it, who cares, I’ll just throw it away and buy a new one. On the other hand the GT-5TP seems to be a well-built radio with many features not found in other Baofeng radios. For about $50.00 this radio is one of the best buys in the Ham Radio HT market. I believe you will have to spend a lot more money to find a radio better than this one. My Ham Radio call sign is WB6MAX. Thank you for reading my review.

KC9LOX Rating: 4/5 Sep 27, 2016 15:09 Send this review to a friend
Not a bad little radio!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
disclaimer: “The distributor has provided me with this product free of charge or discounted price for review and feedback based on my first-hand usage of the product."

This would be my 5th Baofeng product in my collection. On receiving the radio, the box and contents came with the Tri power GT, charger, 2000 mAh li-ion battery, a ear piece mic, and instruction booklet.

The Plus: The radio feels solid construction that I feel was much improvements. Also like the feel of the buttons when pushed are comfortable to use. On using the radio, transmit on simplex and repeater, I got positive remarks, and I didn't tell them what I was talking on till after we were done on the air. So I wanted to make sure to get plenty of remarks on the radio, and not the name.

Programming can be done with the 2 pin kenwood style programming cord and using the software CHIRP using the UV-82HP dropdown setting. Otherwise note that GT-5TP is not listed on the drop down list of CHIRP, but all settings and channels are under the 82HP. The factory Baofeng software is something to desire and I just use CHIRP for the easiest programming.

The 2000 mAh battery on a full charge lasted me 3 days of transmit and receive before going into low battery alarm, which I was very impressed with.

The Cons: I still am disappointed that the scan rate of this radio is still the typical Baofeng SLOW! If you are going to scan frequencies. don't add more the 8 to 10 otherwise you will miss allot of radio traffic. Also with the scan there is still no option of adding or deleting channels from the scan list through the radio itself. You have to still use the software to do this which can be a pain.

On putting the keyboard lock on it does lock the front keys from being accidently pushed, but the 2 side buttons for the FM radio and flashlight still are active and are easily able to turn on when the radio is clipped to your waist belt. I can't count on how many times I turned on the FM radio or the flashlight accidently by bumping it somehow and finding the flashlight flashing at me. So take notice of that.

The dual Push to talk button is one thing I am not impressed with as it can be confusing and push the wrong button and talk on the wrong frequency. It just takes some getting used to and using the radio more.

For the high power, I was only able to get 6 watts the most of the radio into a dummy load and not the stated 8 watts, but 2 watts is not a deal breaker to me.

Keyboard programming with this radio is the usual Baofeng pain in the ol rump and forget it! Just use the software!

Overview: In all I was pretty pleased with this radio for the radio price, nice construction, and battery life. The little cons I dealt with can be looked beyond.

This review is after 2 weeks of usage during normal weather conditions. My Amateur Radio call sign is KC9LOX

JOHNR Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2016 22:06 Send this review to a friend
Nice little dual band radio.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
If you like the Baofeng UV-82 radio then you will like this one too since it is the same radio just in a different case with higher wattage.

The radio has a dual ptt, top keys the upper freq on the display and the bottom you guessed it, keys the lower. Power settings are H:8 M:4 L:1 the audio is loud and not tinny like a UV-5R, etc. it's pleasing to the ear. Overall it is a nice radio without any issues. It programs through Chirp you have to choose UV-82HP and your good to go.

I had owned the GT-5 which I did not like because the display was different in the fact that it would totally go blank where as this GT-5TP when the back lighting goes off the display is still there and you can read it (like the UV-82, UV-5R, etc).

The charger and battery are not interchangeable with the UV-82 series so keep that in mind if you want a spare battery.

I purchase mine through http://www.radioddity.com/ but I would imagine they will probably be on Amazon too.