Reviews Categories | Receivers: Scanners | Whistler WS1098 Help

Reviews Summary for Whistler WS1098
Whistler WS1098 Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $679.95
Description: WHISTLER Digital Mobile Radio Scanner
More info: http://https://www.whistlergroup.com/usa/product-catalog-us/radio-scanner/ws1098-digital-scanner.html

You can write your own review of the Whistler WS1098.

K4EJW Rating: 5/5 Nov 12, 2017 20:13 Send this review to a friend
Great Digital Scanner at a Great Price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After all the public services went digital in my 50 mile radius, I decided to get the Whistler 1098 after lots of research. It was very easy to program, easy to update everything (DBase, Firmware, etc.) Take it out of the box, attach an antenna, read the quick-start manual, plug it in, Turn it on, follow the small screen, punch in your Zip or City, Update your data, and you're good to go. I'm having more fun listening to the happenings around the city and county than I ever did before. If you are a Ham, or can set up your cellphone you shoud have absolutely no trouble getting the 1098 initialized. The EZ Scan software is great, and the data base is normally updated 2-3x a month. The USB jack is on the front and it is a lot easier updating this unit, than it is updating Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu Ham radios. I will be licensed 30 years as a Ham this February, and I'm having lots of fun with this scanner. Get one, or its big brother the TRX-2, and enjoy!

WD6AWP Rating: 5/5 Jul 14, 2016 20:30 Send this review to a friend
Best Scanner Ever  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is the best trunking scanner I own and the best on the market. The P25 audio is the best I've heard on any scanner even on a simulcast system. I can hear things I could not understand on my big brand name, top of the line scanner by you know who.

Scan lists are a strong feature of this scanner. Scan lists hold any combination of talk groups or conventional channels. They can be enabled or not depending on what you want to hear. One feature I'd like to see is for the programing software to be able to reorder the scan lists.

The programming software is very logical, well organized and easy to use. It programs much the same was as a commercial two-way radio. You program the trunk system control channels and add the talk groups associated with that system. Conventional channels are programmed into a conventional section. Then you add talk groups or conventional channels to as many scan lists as you like. If you're not into programming you can use the built-in database which is updated from Radio Reference.

The Whistler WS1098 is very easy to operate. Although I will say the buttons are small and harder to press than I'd like. I was expecting the buttons to operate easily like they do on the older GRECOM PSR800 (another fine scanner). As a desktop scanner it's rather small and I'd trade away the small size for bigger buttons. That said, this is not a big problem and is mitigated somewhat by the multi-function knob.

Amazon's price was as under $500.