Reviews Categories | Microphones for ham radio | BM-5000 microphone Help

Reviews Summary for BM-5000 microphone
Reviews: 1 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $20-29
Description: An inexpensive condenser microphone

You can write your own review of the BM-5000 microphone.

N4UE Rating: 5/5 Jul 16, 2016 15:05 Send this review to a friend
More mic fun!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a new Icom 7300. It comes with a hand mic which works fantastic. However, I much prefer a desk mic. This has lead me on a very entertaining quest. See my review of the BM-800. Not real crazy about the model #. ha ha
Although I'm not crazy about buying Chinese products, this is a fantastic mic.
It can be purchased on eBay or Amazon, usually with free shipping. Quick list of features:
- extremely well made, heavy
- comes with an XLR to 3.5mm stereo plug cable
- includes a windscreen
- includes an awesome mount

OK, how does it work? Fantastic, if a bit "hot". I have not tried to lower the radio's gain, but then again, I have several pieces of 'outboard' audio processing equipment.

Why do this? Not looking for HI-FI (ESSB) hamming, just having fun.

Note, because this is a condenser mic, it will need to be supplied with 'phantom power', usually 48 VDC. However, don't worry, the 8 V or so available at the Icom (or other radio's) mic connector, is sufficient. You can purchase a premade cable from many sources that plug into the BM-5000's XLR connector and into the Icom 8 pin mic connector. These cables also have a PTT connector. They are pretty cheap.
So for < $50 you have an excellent functioning and looking setup.

have fun, life's short!