Reviews Categories | Antenna parts, accessories, incl. baluns, hardware, etc. | Palomar Engineers CB-4-1500AT Help

Reviews Summary for Palomar Engineers CB-4-1500AT
Reviews: 2 Average rating: 1.5/5 MSRP: $85
Description: 4:1 Ladder line/tuner balun, 1.8-31 MHz, 1500W PEP
More info: http://www.palomar-engineers.com

You can write your own review of the Palomar Engineers CB-4-1500AT.

K4QET Rating: 2/5 Oct 18, 2016 03:44 Send this review to a friend
Heats up too fast  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I've had the Palomar CB-4-1500OCF for a year or so; it works fine at 100w on my 160m OCFD.

But, when using more than 100w, for sure 500 watts CW, after 15 min or so of a slow speed CW QSO, SWR shoots up to infinity. Same thing with for example 30 seconds of CW key down at 7 00 watts.

This is on an antenna which is SWR 1.4 without a tuner at operating frequency.

AB1MX Rating: 1/5 Jul 30, 2016 19:22 Send this review to a friend
overheated  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Bought to handle my "new" SB-200 linear's power. One night I was net control and my VSWR went sky high after ~15 minutes. The balun overheated. My power was ~ 500W PEP since it's a SB-200, so I wasn't close to the rating of 1500W PEP. The antenna is a doublet to ladder line multi band, cut to 160 and I was on 75. Perhaps the VSWR was really awful at ~3800, but a useful balun should be power rated at real world VSWRs, not in the lab. Just purchased something from the competition with better ratings. It's a 1 because the box and hardware are really nice for re-use.