Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radio Shack HTX-202 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-202
Radio Shack HTX-202 Reviews: 116 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $199 c.1995
Description: 2 Meter Hand Held HT

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-202.

KB0MPG Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2012 04:36 Send this review to a friend
Awesome rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
My 202 was my very first Ham rig after I was licensed back in 1994. I used it every day until I got a Yaesu FT-2200 mobile rig. I put it away, bringing it out from time to time. It sat in my toolbox in my Garage for nearly ten years till I dug it out yesterday, intending to sell it. I put fresh batteries in it, turn it on, and got the dreaded ER-1 message. I've got it apart on my bench right now, waiting for a button battery holder. Still need to find a replacement mic element for the built in microphone. I loved that Handheld, an when I'm done restoring it, I may just keep it.
KE4VVF Rating: 5/5 Nov 8, 2011 22:40 Send this review to a friend
Bury Me WIth This HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is the best radio I have ever owned. I got it as a Christmas gift in the mid 90's. The HTX-202 is ultra reliable and super rugged. Amazing audio, great Rx and Tx, it has every thing that you would ever need in a 2 meter HT. It even has all the sub audible tones for repeater use.

Very powerful output when compared to modern HT's. Depending on the input voltage it will Tx at 2.5, 4, 5 or 6 watts and has a low power button to cut those in half if needed.

Fairly easy to program. It's 16 memory slots are about all I can fill and I live in a city with plenty of repeaters. Hook it to a J-Pole or Slim Jim and it will hit repeaters 60 miles away. It even works superbly in a vehicle pushing 6 watts into a 5/8 wave mag mount. I couldn't ask more of a portable radio.

My HTX-202 has been dropped off a 25 ft roof with only one small scratch to show for it. After 10 years, the only issue I have ever had was the button battery that keeps the memory ran out of juice. One hour with a soldering iron and it was back on the air.
VE6AGE Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2011 15:27 Send this review to a friend
Built To Last  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had mine like close to 15 years or even more. Still going strong and I'm just in the process of adding it in my mobile to get on APRS. Just love this little radio.
N3WSO Rating: 5/5 Sep 2, 2011 21:48 Send this review to a friend
One BRICK of a hand-held that is built like a TANK!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had this RS HTX-202 unit since early 1996 when I purchased it new. It's been a trooper without any issues or errors at all for the duration. I used the unit for many years connected to my vehicle with the RS HTA-20 30w FM amp feeding my 2m mag mount antenna. The combination has been nothing less than a true performer. I believe the secret has been to utilize the huge belt clip that I eventually discovered was also being utilized as a massive heat sink for the voltage regulator keeping the chipset intact for use with the external 12vdc.

It's just time to put it away for a rainy day when my newer HT's "bite-the-dust"

K9ZF Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2011 11:41 Send this review to a friend
Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'  Time owned: more than 12 months
Cheap and practically indestructible.
Amateur Radio Emergency Service, Clark County Indiana. EM78el
K9ZF /R no budget Rover ***QRP-l #1269 Check out the Rover Resource Page at:
List Administrator for: InHam+grid-loc+ham-books
Ask me how to join the Indiana Ham Mailing list!

VO1XH Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2011 09:50 Send this review to a friend
A classic Indeed!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
After 20+ years since Radio Shack produced the HTX-202, there are a lot still showing up on the air and it was a first 2m handheld radio for many new no code hams who write their ticket and with the ink still wet on the license,walked into Radio Shack and purchased the radio.I have had mine for about 7 years,still in good condition and very rugged and reliable.Right out of the box,the rig was ready to go with features like CTCSS built in and DTMF squelch paging.
Used it in a second vehicle with 12v power,glass mount antenna and the Realistic speaker mike and it perfomed as good as any mobile 2m radio.To bad that it was not capable of being modified to work the MARS/CAP freq,but a minor drawback.I also own the 70cm HTX-404, and it is also a steller performer.
These radios are compact enough and yet rugged and have the feel of a "real handheld",not like some of the rigs now which are a little larger than the remote key fob that are used by the auto manufacturers to unlock your vehicle,hi.IN my opinion,one of the best economy handheld radios that was ever made.73,Don.VO1XH
KF5IKN Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2011 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Good product for starting out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For the price, I paid on beat I an very glad for it, had some issues with the mic when the battery runs low, but using an icon mic it works well.
SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2010 11:52 Send this review to a friend
The ultimate 2M BRICK  Time owned: more than 12 months
These HTX 202 bricks are nearly bullet proof if you run them on internal batteries. The user interface is clumsy, but you'll eventually figure out how to use the slightly confusing keyboard functions. Clear audio, good front end, and rugged as hell. The receiver is more sensitive than my much more modern Icom HT and has better intermod immunity. It's BIG, it's HEAVY, but hey, that's part of the BRICK experience. I got mine for $20 at a swap meet which turned out to be a great value. I dont worry about using it in the rain, scratching it, tossing it in the trunk etc. Its nice to have so little $$ invested in a radio. You worry and fret less. Maybe I ought to get rid of all my expensive pristine stuff, but functional cheap older rigs and enjoy ham radio more. Now there's an idea.
KF5ENA Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2010 16:23 Send this review to a friend
bullet proof!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recieved my 202 as a gift from a friend of mine when I got my ticket. It's had a very hard life since I've owned it and I'm sure it was the same when he had it. I don't know how many times it's been dropped, jarred, or otherwise beat around. I've even lost it off a tower and it knocked the battery loose! The ground man snapped the battery back in place and it worked just fine. This is a great radio for someone who's looking for a no-frills, bulletproof ht.
VA2MBA Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2009 16:26 Send this review to a friend
solide  Time owned: more than 12 months
J ai acheté ce radio neuf voila plus d une dizaine d année. Je le possede encore et il fonctionne encore très bien. J'ai toujours été bien servi par se radio. Il est désormais en permanence dans mon véhicule en cas de bris de mon mobile.