Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radio Shack HTX-202 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-202
Radio Shack HTX-202 Reviews: 111 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $199 c.1995
Description: 2 Meter Hand Held HT

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-202.

KF5IKN Rating: 5/5 Jan 17, 2011 11:14 Send this review to a friend
Good product for starting out  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
For the price, I paid on beat I an very glad for it, had some issues with the mic when the battery runs low, but using an icon mic it works well.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Dec 23, 2010 11:52 Send this review to a friend
The ultimate 2M BRICK  Time owned: more than 12 months
These HTX 202 bricks are nearly bullet proof if you run them on internal batteries. The user interface is clumsy, but you'll eventually figure out how to use the slightly confusing keyboard functions. Clear audio, good front end, and rugged as hell. The receiver is more sensitive than my much more modern Icom HT and has better intermod immunity. It's BIG, it's HEAVY, but hey, that's part of the BRICK experience. I got mine for $20 at a swap meet which turned out to be a great value. I dont worry about using it in the rain, scratching it, tossing it in the trunk etc. Its nice to have so little $$ invested in a radio. You worry and fret less. Maybe I ought to get rid of all my expensive pristine stuff, but functional cheap older rigs and enjoy ham radio more. Now there's an idea.

KF5ENA Rating: 5/5 Dec 15, 2010 16:23 Send this review to a friend
bullet proof!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I recieved my 202 as a gift from a friend of mine when I got my ticket. It's had a very hard life since I've owned it and I'm sure it was the same when he had it. I don't know how many times it's been dropped, jarred, or otherwise beat around. I've even lost it off a tower and it knocked the battery loose! The ground man snapped the battery back in place and it worked just fine. This is a great radio for someone who's looking for a no-frills, bulletproof ht.

VA2MBA Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2009 16:26 Send this review to a friend
solide  Time owned: more than 12 months
J ai acheté ce radio neuf voila plus d une dizaine d année. Je le possede encore et il fonctionne encore très bien. J'ai toujours été bien servi par se radio. Il est désormais en permanence dans mon véhicule en cas de bris de mon mobile.

SWL377 Rating: 5/5 Jun 28, 2009 22:59 Send this review to a friend
Best $20 I ever spent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I got my 202 at a local ham swap meet at the end of the day for $20. It sat all day on this seller's table marked at $25. It isn't mint, but it looks OK. The seller said it worked when he last used it but he hadn't used it for at least 5 years. He said it would probably need a new nicad battery.

Wow, it not only works but it works very well. It is hard to program (need to refer to manual). It is big. It is heavy. It only has two handfuls of memories. But... how can I complain? I only paid $20. Even the old battery is good and holds a strong charge.

I get better transmit audio reports from the 202 than I do from my Icom IC 91AD when I do A-B comparisons! The 202 receiver can hear anything the Icom can. The Icom cost around $400.

I like my 202, a LOT! If you find one at a reasonable price, buy it. They are old school HTs that remind me of the Motorola Brick Cellphones. Hefty, solid, substantial.

Mark

KA4DQJ Rating: 4/5 Jun 11, 2009 08:16 Send this review to a friend
Tough little beast  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have an HTX-202 for about 20 years now. It's still ticking, slthough compliments of Southwest Airlines baggage handlers the LSC display is broken and needs replacing. Hope I can get the part!

Early in its life, the little 202 made two trips back to Radio Shaft to have the voltage regulator circuit repaird. On my model anyway, if you ran external cigarette lighter power extensively as did, it would eventually fry the voltage regulator circuit.

It's also not really user friendly,and you want to keep the he user manual handy in case you need to program something via the keys.

KB7ZNV Rating: 5/5 Jun 7, 2009 17:06 Send this review to a friend
My first Rig and my best Rig.  Time owned: more than 12 months
The HTX-202 was my first rig and I purchased it in 1993. I used it while trucking over the road for a few years and put it away for awhile. (About 4 years to be exact). When I pulled it out of the box about two months ago the internal memory battery was pretty well dead so I had it replaced. Then I gave the original cell battery a good charge thinking that it's life should have been over years ago, but, (and I still don't believe this) the original cell battery not only took a charge, it was still running strong 10 hours later. How many batteries are still holding a charge after 15 plus years? Maybe this battery will out live me.

Now for the transceiver. The HTX-202 has worked flawlessly for 15 years. Anyone who wants to buy it can make an offer at my estate sale shortly after I have died. (Which should be in about 50 more years. I intend to outlive the battery).

AE5TE Rating: 4/5 May 15, 2009 19:59 Send this review to a friend
Good rig, setting up a pain.  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought the 202 maybe around '93 to replace my old IC-2AT that I carelessly left out and let get stolen. Taking a hiatus from Ham radio for the past 9 years it and it's companion HTX404 have been sitting in a compartment under the seat of my truck all this time, powered up only a couple times over those years while on road trips. Recently dug them out and wouldn't you know they picked up right where they left off after a battery charge.

As a mobile with a good antenna and 13.8V these rigs have enough power folks won't often need a brick amp, but even with an amp that I used at home to work one certain path, symmetry of TX/RX performance was as good as any mobile of it's day.

KI4YRH Rating: 5/5 Apr 3, 2009 16:58 Send this review to a friend
Excellent  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought mine on 14 Jan, 1995. The only reason I remember this is because there is an extended warrenty sticker on the back with the date of purchase.Have NEVER had the first bit of trouble with it! It's been dropped soaked and anything else you can think of. The internal memory battery finally went dead today (4-3-09)a little over 14 years, not bad huh? To get this radio from me, you will have to pry it from my cold dead hands!

AI4WC Rating: 5/5 Dec 3, 2008 07:12 Send this review to a friend
The great little "brick!"  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had my HTX-202 since the mid-90s and it keeps on going. It is simple and reliable. Other than to replace the internal memory battery, I've had no problems with it. I use it with a AA battery pack and it is always ready to go. I wouldn't part with it.