Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Radio Shack HTX-202 Help

Reviews Summary for Radio Shack HTX-202
Radio Shack HTX-202 Reviews: 113 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $199 c.1995
Description: 2 Meter Hand Held HT

You can write your own review of the Radio Shack HTX-202.

KF2VA Rating: 2/5 Jul 5, 2004 20:16 Send this review to a friend
Err2 Aaaaagh!!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought my first HTX-202 in late 1993 and it was my first 2-meter rig. I liked it so much that when my wife got her license in the spring, I bought one for her.

This little radio works very, very well when it is working. A QST review around that time showed that it had less intermod than any of the competition, as I recall. It was a bear to program though, but beyond that there really wasn't anything to dislike about it. Then, I got my first "Err2" lock-up. That was frustrating and off to RS I went for service. The fellows there, knew I only had it a month or so and they immediately gave me a new one. Great! But two months later my wife's went "Err2". We had purchased the 5-year service agreement for both of these and I am so happy that I had. While her radio was in the shop, my second unit got the "Err2". Over the course of five years, my radio went to the shop four times and my wife's five times. A few months after the service agreement was up, they both suffered the "Err2" breakdown and it was then time to look for a couple of new HT's.

Additional problems with the HTX-202 through this period was poor battery packs. The little NiCad recharge units didn't seem to have a long life and gradually decayed over a three year period until they no longer functioned at all. The AA cell package worked pretty good, but gradually developed cracks in the case (the batteries fit very tight) and eventually, they too failed. I was able to buy new AA packs though should I ever decide to repair the two radios.

The thing of it is though, my wife and I really liked these two radios. They were a bit large by today's standards but when they worked, they worked great. With the battery pack removed, the radio sat perfectly in the center tray of my Miata and using an accessory power cord and a hand mike, it was perfect for local contacts. Today, my wife still wishes I'd get one of these working because it is still her favorite radio. I prefer the IC-T2H units that I bought, but still feel it would be great to have the HTX-202 units available. Hmmm, maybe it's time I looked into getting them repaired.

VE3SWF Rating: 5/5 Apr 20, 2004 14:59 Send this review to a friend
Excellent HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
The 202 was my first radio, and I've kept it since. It is a very stable, rock solid HT that keeps going and going. This radio has been drenched in water many times. All I have to do is open it up, let it dry out, and it is good as new! Runs great for my packet setup as well. I would definately recommend this radio to someone looking for an HT that won't quit on them. Just one thing: remember to change your internal battery!

KD7ZRO Rating: 5/5 Apr 14, 2004 13:48 Send this review to a friend
Great Starter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This litte radio is my first radio and works wonders! It has CTCSS tones, DTMF pageing, DTMF squelch, ect. I got much more that I was accualy looking for when I bought this radio off of eBay! This radio must be pre-RadioSlack days!

K9MQ Rating: 5/5 Feb 5, 2004 13:45 Send this review to a friend
Very Good Basic Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
It does't have a lot of features like extended receive, but if you want to just listen and operate on repeater inside the ham band, it works great! It seems to be very durable.

AD6KB Rating: 3/5 Jan 22, 2004 21:52 Send this review to a friend
GOOD BASIC RADIO BUT...  Time owned: more than 12 months
Bought my first 202 in 1994 when I was first licensed. It immediately developed the dreaded "err2" problem, but I discovered that using a new aftermarket battery (not from Radioshack!) solved that problem as did operating with AA battery pack. Bought a second one on ebay for $90 plus with 2 batteries and wall wart. That particular radio has never displayed the err2 msg. On the whole I agree that it is a fairly well made, sturdy radio that has taken quite a lot of abuse in my local races/ares operations. Have never had to replace either memory battery yet.... Good radio for the money. But some seem to be afflicted with poor quality control. I guess I got two good ones.

KC0JTC Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2004 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Heck of Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
The owners of a restaruant I frequented new that I was a ham. The gave me a radio that mom had bought at a flea market thinking it was a scanner. A free HTX-202, I have replaced the lithium battery that keeps the memory and replaced a set of nicads with Ni-MH's. A piece of cake. I added a 404. They are great back up bricks. The 404 stays in the truck because I don't have a mobile uhf rig. I am planning to use the 202 for aprs as soon as the tinytrak3 arrives and I can put it all together.

KI4DPR Rating: 5/5 Jan 22, 2004 18:46 Send this review to a friend
One tough radio.  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I was about to check in to the local 2 meter net one night about a week ago. I had stopped for gas and grabbed a cup of coffe when I went in to pay for the gas. As I got back in the car the net was just starting. My intention was to pull away from the pump, wait for a break, chek in, then go on down the road. As I reached for the door to close it, I felt the sides of the cup colapse. The bottom had completely burst dumping 20oz. of piping hot coffe (complete with cream and sugar) directly on top of my HT-202! The radio immediately began chirping, and squawking, even before I could grab it to turn it off. I dried it off with a towel I had in the car, and drove home in silence, fuming mad. On the way home it occured to me that the inside of the radio was completely soaked anyway, so why not open it up rinse it out and use the XYL's hair dryer which is exactly what I did. Ileft it opend on top of one of the hvac vents overnight. Next moring I reassembled the radio, attached the battery and have been using it since. The up side is that this radio is cleaner inside and out than it has been in a long time. One tough little radio.

KQ6Q Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2003 00:42 Send this review to a friend
Nicad replacements at Target Stores!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have a 202 and 404, always in my Hospital Group Jump Kit, now that I have a T81A for carrying around. You can replace the nicad packs with two sets of 9.95 NiMh's from Target - takes a little dexterity, but it works very nicely if you want to recharge.
One of the nicest set of radios around. Used the two of them mobile for a couple of years, until I decided that I'd be a safer driver with a mobile rig with a visible display - so now I have an IC-2720 permanently mounted. The 202 and 404 are permanent family members!

N4LI Rating: 5/5 Dec 11, 2003 00:39 Send this review to a friend
A brick -- almost literally.  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
One has to approach the HTX-202 much like other radios from RS. They ain’t Icoms or Kenwoods, or Yaesus. They’re Radio Shack radios, for better or for worse.

I found one of these used a few months back -- $50, shipping included. We just had a bunch of local Boy Scouts get their Tech licenses, so I picked one up to give to one of the kids who needed a radio.

The 202 is well worth the money I paid for it. “Solid,” is the best word to describe this radio. Sure, it’s basic, is the size of a brick and weighs as much. But, it gets the job done. And, like RS radios, it’s a no frills radio. But, come one… how many features actually get used on the high-end radios? For an HT, one needs easy operation, some tones, a few memories, and little else. For that, the 202 delivers.

MSRP on this radio was $200, or so. Would I pay that? Of course not. You can get a dual-bander from one of the big three if you shop at that price. But for $50 used? Sure. Why not? The radio works. And works. And works.

A few minutes with the manual is time well-spent. But, beyond that, you need little else.

Not bad…

Peter, N4LI

KB2ZRB Rating: 5/5 Dec 10, 2003 22:36 Send this review to a friend
Indestrucible  Time owned: more than 12 months
This was my first ham rig, and I had it for like 7 years since I got my license. The only problem with it was that the original ni-cad pack no longer works, but, seriously, how long can you expect a ni-cad to last. It has none of the intermod problems that plague my new TH-F6A Kenwood tribander, and is way more rugged. Radio Shack made a big mistake when they discontinued these, and when mine finally dies, I will just have to replace it with a used one as my backup rig. The 16 memory channels may be small compared to modern rigs, but are more than adequate for most purposes. If you can live without some of the bells and whistles of new rigs, this one is a great choice.