Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Expert Electronics SunSDR MB1 Help

Reviews Summary for Expert Electronics SunSDR MB1
Expert Electronics SunSDR MB1 Reviews: 5 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $6000
Description: A high performance DUC/DDC direct conversion SDR
transceiver with a classic design for HF, 6 meter and 2
meter bands.
More info: http://eesdr.com

You can write your own review of the Expert Electronics SunSDR MB1.

KK4X Rating: 5/5 Aug 30, 2017 04:46 Send this review to a friend
DIGITAL WORK!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi Gang, its been a couple of months of using my TWO MB-1's, No Hick ups at all. hardware wise,
the Beta Programs are getting better as time goes on, This is a Plug and play SDR, If you get and external monitor especially a TOUCH SCREEN, its awesome. I think prices here in America is about 5500k, delivered. Oh I SET up some of my favorite Digital programs,(WSJT AND X CW SKIMMER) and it works great but follow the ADDENDUM publish on EE site. Erik Carling, EI4KF, took his time to publish the ADENDUM, Thank you ERIK, That's it for now if you have any questions well just contact me..( I HAVE NO TIES WITH E.E. ) just one Happy OWNER OF 2 MB-1"s, 73 to all de KK4x, Ed Tampa Florida

KK4X Rating: 5/5 Jul 9, 2017 12:24 Send this review to a friend
Sold my FLEX 6700 not regrets  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi, I currently have 2 MB1 transceivers,I sold my 2 FLEX 6700 and with no Regrets. the MB1 Is a pleasure to operate I been using on for 6 meters in line with a BEKO 6 meter amplifier and they work very very well together. I have both my MB1 connected to a Planar touch screen external Monitor also there about 22 inches. the MB1 works very well on HF as well, I have no technical experience but operator wise, its been the best Radio I have used.I want to thank YURI of NSI RADIO in Washington State for being the distributor for these fine Radios here in the USA, Yuri is Top Notch if you need any assistance. I Highly recommend this SDR. 73, Ed KK4x, Tampa Florida been in ham Radio since the 70's

AD6A Rating: 5/5 May 5, 2017 18:15 Send this review to a friend
Pleasure To Operate!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I only took delivery of my MB1 yesterday, so this is just a preliminary review, but so far, based on playing with it for just one day, I'd have to say the MB1 has the best ergonomic design and audio quality of any radio I've ever owned (which is a long list of the top-rated rigs over many many years).

On my desk currently are a) fully-loaded Elecraft K3s, b) IC-7600, c) FT-3000D, and d) Expert Electronics MB1. Tuning around 20m and 40m last evening and this afternoon/evening, comparing all the rigs, I find myself always coming back to the MB1 - I'm not sure how they did it (yet), but ssb clarity is way better on the MB1 than any of the other rigs. It's just so much easier copying signals on the MB1 that hardly move the s-meter (on any of the rigs).

It has every bell/whistle that I'd ever need as far as I can tell so far. I still have to explore digi modes, VHF, etc. I'll report back when I have done this.

Sure, it's not an inexpensive rig, but standalone operation using the built-in 7" LCD with touchscreen (it's actually a built-in Windows 10 PC!) is an ergonomic breeze - a pleasure to operate!

Feel free to contact me if you have any pre-buy questions/concerns.

W2FKN Rating: 4/5 Mar 14, 2017 19:05 Send this review to a friend
A Nifty SDR Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
1) Great support from NSI Communications with Team Support Link on MB1
2) I'm in an area with abundant noise and only a vertical (HOA - doesn't know its here!) - MB1 has done an admirable job in keeping the noise down as much as possible.
3) A lot of great features and able to separate pile-ups with the front-panel controls and the RIT as well - amazing results!
4) Manual definitely needs improvement with respect to organization and overall presentation, but have managed to figure much of it out - A lot of perseverance here!
5) I also have an YAESU FTDX5000MP Limited for comparison (no complaints here!), but the MB1 still does a helluva job with respect to overall performance.

G0CGL Rating: 4/5 Aug 8, 2016 06:27 Send this review to a friend
Hugely versatile with lots of potential for upgrades   Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The MB1 is a 100W SDR transceiver that has a fully featured front panel, including a superb 7-inch touch screen display, driven from a built-in Windows 10 computer.

Firstly, a base point from which my review is written. I am primarily a DXer with a prime interest in low band CW but also operate all HF bands and all modes. My radio for the past 9 years has been the Icom-7800 with the IC-7100 as back-up. I had an interest in obtaining the advantages of SDR but a black box on the desk connected to a computer, even with a separate VFO control, did not appeal to me.

Out of the box, the MB1 front panel appears very busy and the buttons are, on the whole, on the small side. The main tuning knob is smooth and has a nice feel. The screen is superb and after a bit of operation, you soon get used to the layout and quickly find that the full potential is realised when one or more external screens are connected. Operation is then primarily by mouse 'point-and-click' together with the VFO controls and most of the front panel becomes secondary.

The rear panel is extremely well appointed, both for the radio in terms of antenna connectors, PTT, ALC, CAT, etc and also for the computer with many USB3 ports, two video outputs, etc.

The ExpertSDR2 software is very well laid out, giving easy access to all the functions and parameters. The spectrum scope and waterfall displays are excellent. The GUI comes in two flavours that can be switched on the fly: a desktop GUI that has every control available and a MB1 GUI that provides a pseudo radio front panel display, with a conventional looking S-meter, but still with the same excellent spectrum and waterfall graphics below.

So far then, the hardware and software are found to be of a very high standard. A radio of this complexity needs a good user manual. Expert Electronics have made a poor job of this one. If a new MB1 owner does experience frustration and disappointment, it will be through the omissions, inaccuracies and poor organisation of the manual. Like the software, the manual will hopefully be developed over time but considering the MB1 was first displayed to the public in 2014, it is inexcusable to have not produced a far better document in this time.

Expert Electronics are something of an enigma. Vassily and Roman, with whom I have dealt, are very nice guys and extremely helpful. Indeed, I had some initial problems and was provided with TeamViewer/Skype sessions that addressed every point of issue, although some could not be resolved. It is clear that they are a company dedicated to their products and are capable providing a high level of customer support. They have a web site forum and emails get a quick response. On the other hand, they are too quick to announce ‘there is no bug’ in response to issues raised, inferring that actual users, the customers, know less than they do. This is nonsense and leads to severe doubts that bug reports to their Forum, that get no acknowledgement, are being taken seriously. Indeed, a software/firmware update August 2016 omitted several needed fixes that seem to be simple to implement. They need to get a grip on communication and put customers' priorities first if the MB1 is going to be successful. A poor reputation will badly affect it and do it a great disservice, which would be awful considering the potential of this radio.

So, how does it perform? Remember, being SDR, performance will be enhanced through iterations of the software and firmware. I am currently on software version 1.1.3 Beta 11 and this will, I hope, have moved on considerably in a short space of time. I compared the MB1 with my IC-7100 and IC-7800 together with a borrowed IC-7300. As expected, the 7100 and 7300 are surpassed by the MB1 in almost every department. The exception being the noise blanker on the 7300 which is exceptionally effective. The MB1 has two noise blankers, with different algorithms, and comes close to the 7300 but doesn’t quite equal it.

So to the 7800: I remember writing an eHam review of my then new 7800 in 2007 and gave it 5 stars. Time moves on and performance improves. I would now give it 4 stars and highlight some shortcomings. The spectrum scope is next to useless and, in fact, I never used it at all. The filtering is not perfect with 150hz being the narrowest practical width before ringing occurs. Sensitivity, on my radio anyway which was checked by Icom, was slightly diminished on 6 meters. Noise Reduction was too detrimental to the recovered audio. In comparison, the MB1 is at least as sensitive and there is no loss on 6 meters. The radio also has 2 meters but I don't operate that band - however I have heard that it is also very good there too. As with SDR generally, the filtering is amazing and 50hz is no less useable than any other filter width. NR, Notch, and the myriad of parameters to optimise transmit on SSB, CW and digital all work well. Blocking Dynamic Range seems very good, at least in practical use. Plus of course the panoramic display, 4 receivers, up 312khz band scope and all the features that software provides, like skimmer spots on the display, leave the 7800 and all classic radios very far behind. Overall it seems very high spec.

The in-built computer has an Intel i-5 processor, claimed in the spec. as running at 3.0GHz (but my MB1 appears to be 2.2Ghz overclocked to 2.5GHz), with a 120Gb SSD. It runs Windows 10 in Tablet Mode and the MB1 screen is then touch sensitive. Podgy fingers might have some trouble but, in any case, I would advocate the use of a stylus. Tablet Mode exits when using an external monitor configuration.

I have found issues with the radio that exist at this time. All of these can, I believe, be corrected in software/firmware. Nevertheless, they exist and, with the failings of the user manual, overall my current rating is 4 stars. I have a forum posting, valid July 2016 at http://eesdr.com/en/forum-en/mb1-transceiver/7318-wishes-software-hardware that details improvements that are needed. Future attention to detail by Expert Electronics will ensure these are corrected and make the MB1 a 5-star transceiver.

A UK radio magazine recently reviewed the MB1 and author concluded by recommending that a purchase be delayed for a while. Currently both USA and UK retailers have an introductory offer, saving over 800 euro on the RRP. It seems there is no better time to buy than now (August 2016). I do like the MB1 and I want to like it even more. It has the potential to be the best radio I’ve ever had. But in giving an honest review, I’d have to recommend to first keep track on progress via their website and forum until outstanding important issues are corrected. With diligence from Expert Electronics, that will not be long in coming.

Erik G0CGL / EI4KF