Reviews Categories | Antennas: VHF/UHF+ Omnidirectional: verticals, mobile, etc | DBJ-2 Roll-up J-Pole Help

Reviews Summary for DBJ-2 Roll-up J-Pole
DBJ-2 Roll-up J-Pole Reviews: 2 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $30.00
Description: Dual band 2-440 portable J-pole with 8-10 db gain for ARES,
RACES and HT use up to 50 watts.
More info: http://edsantennas.weebly.com/

You can write your own review of the DBJ-2 Roll-up J-Pole.

KC8MWG Rating: 5/5 Aug 27, 2016 07:29 Send this review to a friend
Works well with my HT!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I wanted a portable antenna that would work better than the 14" Nagoya whip I had been using with my Baofeng UV5-RA. I had a hard time hitting our club's 2-meter repeater over 20 miles away from my home while using the whip (though it was "do-able" - occasionally. I live in a valley between some fairly tall hills...). With the DBJ-2 hung from a curtain rod, I was able to hit the repeater with no trouble at all. RX was a bit noisy, but I live in a very RF noisy house (Wi-fi, CFL's, etc.), so no fault of the antenna. Great product!

KJ4DGE Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2016 05:11 Send this review to a friend
Worth every penny!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
After writing my article about HT's I considered buying a Nagoya 771 and looked at the spec of other third party antennas. I owned a Diamond SRH-77CA once and as it was no doubt would have been great as a scanner antenna but not on a dual band HAM HT antenna. Something kept drawing me back to a 2003 QST article about a roll-up J-pole dual band homebrew device that Dr. Ed Fong submitted.
Not only does it do all that he says it does I am currently testing it on a RS PRO-2004 to see what I can hear. It hanging from a curtain rod in the window on the second floor bedroom. With my understanding that Dr. Fong is a Professor in Electrical Engineering makes it all the better. I took a chance and ordered it. Out of the clear plastic ziplock baggie it came. It breathes quality workmanship. I also liked the idea he is a USA owner and makes these antennas with his students.
When I first hooked it to my Anytone UV-3318 I tuned to the late afternoon drive home roundtable. I had not been on in 5 years. Not only did I join in though scratchy at times given I live in a valley, running 5 watts and 14 feet off the ground it amazed me I even hit the repeater at all!.

In the past with the stock antenna I had to move around the backyard and it was pretty much a no show. With the DBJ-2, I was hearing repeaters I have not heard in years. The no ground concept will be applied in the coming months using Ed's DBJ-2 to bicycle mobile ops. I am looking forward to this. Expect 8-10 db gain over a HT rubber duck!