Reviews Categories | Transverters | Yaesu FTV-1000 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FTV-1000
Yaesu FTV-1000 Reviews: 10 Average rating: 4.6/5 MSRP: $950.00
Description: 6m for 1000-Mk-V
Will not work with (old) MP. Modifications are still being worked on
and will be available soon for MP. (per- Yaesu).
More info: http://www.yaesu.com

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FTV-1000.

K8AC Rating: 5/5 Jun 3, 2011 07:01 Send this review to a friend
A different viewpoint  Time owned: more than 12 months
I used the FTV-1000 for a couple of years with my Mark V and was very happy with it. Recently, I acquired a Ten Tec Orion II as the main transceiver here and finally got around to investigating using the FTV-1000 with the Orion II. In just a couple of hours, I had the transverter running with the Orion II and must say that it works just great. I had to reduce the Orion's transverter drive by 17 dB, but otherwise it was just a matter of making a couple of cables. I see no reason why you couldn't use the FTV-1000 with any transceiver capable of transceive operation on 10M and that has a low-level transverter output. The one minor drawback is that the transverter frequency is about 340 Hz high (so received signals show up 350 Hz lower than they should) and since there's no service manual or alignment info, it seems there's no way to adjust that. At any rate, I don't believe there's anything else like the FTV-1000 available today and it sure does work well with my Orion II

AA1OV Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2009 05:17 Send this review to a friend
I will miss mine  Time owned: more than 12 months
I agree with a prior review that the LOOKs of the transverter that was supposed to be a companion for the Mark V is dismal Too bad they couldn't design it to compliment the rig as opposed to looking like an add on.

Having said that mine has always worked flawlessly and I highly recommend it to any one needing a transverter for 6 meters. I am selling my Mark V so the FTV 1000 is for sale too. I will miss it's performance.

8P6SH Rating: 5/5 Aug 1, 2005 16:33 Send this review to a friend
Super Sensitive with lots of umph!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am not a very experienced 6m operator, but wanted to get a solid capability on 6m. After lots of reading of the reviews and the manual, I decided to look for a used unit and finally picked one up.
Hooking up was easy enough and soon had it on the air. First day out, worked Cuba, Martinique and Cayman with solid signals both ways. I'm using a three element beam about 20ft up - so not the best antennas.
I like the unit and it receives very well and takes advantage of one of the best IF strips an operator could want. The 200 watt output should be enough for my casual activity for a few years to come.
If you're thinking about it, there are some good deals on QTH.com and ebay. I used a TS 690s before and this is a great step up.

KC2HZW Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2005 19:43 Send this review to a friend
Super Quiet, Super Sensitive!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased my FTV-1000 on eBay in new condition. I am using it with the Mark V Field. (You will also need the FRB-5A relay in this configuration.) I don't have an FP-29 power supply. In it's place I am running a 12 Volt Astron and a 28 Volt Astron, tweaked to 30 V. This combination works well and is much less expensive than buying a new FP-29. I would suggest fusing all the leads, as I did, if using this set up.
Power output is 200 Watts. I found it necessary to adjust the ALC to achieve full power. Very little drive power from the Mark V is required to reach full power. The receiver is very sensitive and very quiet. A very nice combination! Using the RF Amp switch will increase weak signals 2 to 5 S units with almost no increase in hiss or back ground noise.
Construction is good all around. As other have noted, the design of the unit doesn't match the FT-1000 series. While this is true, it is not a bad looking unit and its performance makes up for its appearance. It would be nice if the rig switched on the IPO and menu 3-3 frequency display automatically when powered up, but it's not that big a deal. All things equal, I am quite happy with this transverter.

IW0GXY Rating: 3/5 Oct 25, 2004 03:40 Send this review to a friend
it's ok but...  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I own the FTV1000 xverter since 2 months, I'm a 6mt band devoted and I owned lots of transceivers with 50mhz.
Starting an Icom746 then a Yaesu FT920 and at last the IC756PRO with a TS2000 bak station till I wanted to change to this top class bundle: The FT1000MK5 and it's dedicated xverter.
I ordered the xverter at the beginning of august 2004 despite some bad reviews about it and in september I finally got it.
The xverter doesn't fit very much with the FT1000 but it isn't bad.
The connection schematic is easy to follow and everything is connected in minutes.
After the easy and quick setup (just reduce the RF PWR to regulate the ALC and put the IPO on not to overload the RX) it is ready to go on air.
It delivers 200W peak pwr on SSB but the average is 160W with proc on, on CW it delivers all 200W. The RX is fantastic and pretty quite even with RF AMP 2 on and even though Vatican radio transmitters main site is not far than 12 miles away from my qth.
I tryed to put the FT1000 IPO on but i only had an increase in background noise so it's not useful.
It works well and for this I would give a 5 but there are some annoing thing i really don't like:
The displayed frequency doesn't switch automatically when the xverter is on but most important after 10 minutes the xverter frequency drift till estabilish 300hz below the shown freq.
If it shows 28110 (50110) the effective freq is 50110.3 and i have to correct it with the user set function.
I did expect a bit more care from yaesu on this xverter.

I'm giving a 3 to this xverter, not because it works bad but just because the care the Yaesu engineer didn't put on the design. They should expect that the buyers of this xverter were very demanding.

Max IW0GXY

W4TJ Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2002 12:43 Send this review to a friend
State of the Art !  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I work in electronics, actually build receivers and down converters. From a professional point of view, Yaesu has given the Ham community a true state of the art piece of equipment in the FTV-1000. This is a very inexpensive piece of gear for what we ask it to do. A commercial version of the same system may cost an order of magnitude more.

I'm sure there are specific instances that will be beyond the capability of the filtering system in this unit, but they will be very unusual. An option is to eliminate one or two preamps and feed the mixer directly, which has always eliminated any problem I have faced. With ambient noise in the thousands of degrees Kelvin, the overall system noise figure is still adequate, even with the mixer alone. This may not satisfy those that like to see you S-meter jump out of the Box !!

The transmitter is excellent, I can drive my pair of 3CPX800A's to 1500 wts easily in Class A. And with the 200 watts available out of the box find the amp unnecessary in most cases.

I couldn't possibly give Yaesu less than a solid 5 for this unit. If you have any questions, compare it to the competition ! Just make sure your not comparing apples and oranges !!

K1SIX Rating: 4/5 Feb 7, 2002 19:20 Send this review to a friend
FTV1000 after a few weeks  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
As an avid 6m DXer I've tested all iterations of the FTV1000 both on the air and on the bench. I'm 75 miles from the nearest US TV Channel 2 so the experiences of Arliss are not a problem at this particular location. The "real world" operation appears excellent and I purchased this transverter particularly for it's Class A capability to match my very clean 2 x 3CX800s for reduced odd order (6m) SSB distortion. I have not been let down with a local reporting +/- 6 kHz detection in AB and +/- 4 kHz detection (Subjective Report) in Class A. On the receive side, the sensitivity is absolutely state of the art. However, more attention needs to be paid to the value of video carrier detection to as low as 45.240 mHz. I've posted some receive results on VA3CR's fine Yaesu FT1000 website for those interested. If I were the designer of this "Porsche" I would probably investigate the value of different front-end filter bandpass depending upon the immediate reception requirement of the user. If this transverter had user selectable receiver bandpass- I would give it a 5!

ON4ANT Rating: 5/5 Dec 24, 2001 13:20 Send this review to a friend
great  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The FTV1000 perform as expected, its way better than any rig I owned in the last years (these include IC706 FT736 FT847 FT920 TS690S

It gives the full 50/200w output as specified and the selectivity and sensitivity is superiour the the rigs mentioned above.
Just one thing, had to add a smaal attenuator in the 28 MHz drive line to allow smooth power control. I had it side to side to a FT920 for a while and I bought me a second FTV1000 after. The FT920 went back.

G3WGV Rating: 4/5 Aug 25, 2001 05:13 Send this review to a friend
First impressions  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've only had the FTV1000 for a few days but it has re-kindled my interest in 6m. I agree with the previous reviewer that it has excellent performance on both TX and RX. It integrates with my FT1000MP-V and VL1000 absolutely perfectly.

The manual says that with the VL1000 you can only get 500W output. Not so... mine does near 1.2kW (oops, G-licence says 400W max and my antenna relays up the tower are rated 200W max, though I didn't blow them up as it happens!)

On the subject of blowing things up, I am intrigued by the apparent ability to blow up the Mk-V front end if the IPO position is not selected. Must be some mega strong signals floating about to do that! For the first couple of days I didn't actually use the IPO position (Yeah, you got it, I didn't read the manual!) and apart from an S6 background noise level, had no problems. If it really is a problem with very high power signals nearby, then I absolutely agree that Yaesu should fix it, el quicko. In the meantime, of course, a 10dB (ish) pad in the antenna lead to the transverter ought to avoid further destruction.

My only issue, and it's a minor one, is that the unit doesn't come close to matching the MP-V in appearance. On the contrary, it is of totally different construction (solid enough, but different) and has flip-switch controls and a LED panel the like of which are not found anywhere on the MP-V front panel. It does seem odd that a unit that uniquely operates with the MP-V is so completely different to it in appearance.

Works a treat though and that's the important thing really.

73, John
G3WGV

KC8PEO Rating: 5/5 May 21, 2001 19:46 Send this review to a friend
great unit  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the rig for 2 months ,it is a great transverter ,everything that I had hoped it would be. It matchs the advertizing 100%. a very powerful rig, 200 watts. audio is clean and very sharp . has to be the best 6 meter rig to ever operate from this shack. Yaesu really did their homework on this rig.Put this together with the mark five and you have a unbeatable combination, One problem...to use the transverter with the mark five you must push in the IPO botton which puts the transverter output into the ist mixer stage of the mark five. this is how yaesu designed it , so you turn on the mark five, then the transverter and you forgot to push in the IPO switch -- there goes the fet preamp front end of the mark five. The mark five has made two trips to ca. to get repaired so far, each time requiring the 4 fets to be replaced . so i have had the rig on the air a total of 4 hours!!!. if you know the mp 1000 series of yaesu rigs you know there are a million buttons to push and its so EASY to forget one . but if you do it, off to calfornia.
Yaesu says on one hand this is not the problem and the other hand says this is whats causing the problem.,so...untill they get the rf front end fixed or correct the froblem of the transverter overpowering the front end or engineer a safety interlock to provent this , hold off on buying the ftv1000. I will up date this reviev as soon as I find out what is the problem and how it will be adressed by YAESU. If you have any questions feel free to call me at 1 440 918 0882. Yaesu has two fantastic rigs here lets hope they find a way to make them work as they should ,together