Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-840 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-840
Yaesu FT-840 Reviews: 151 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: Compact High-Performance HF Transceiver
More info: http://yaesu.hamgear.eu/ft-840.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-840.

AB3RY Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2014 13:35 Send this review to a friend
A Great Starter Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Last spring, after getting my General ticket, I picked up one of these on eBay after reading the reviews here. Even though it was at least 10 years old then, it worked great out of the box for both SSB and CW. It has handled the stupid settings and fumbles as I learned all the stuff you don't learn passing the exams. And even though I am a fairly casual operator, I am close to DXCC on a couple of bands.

I spent a bit less than $400 shipped for the radio and feel like it's one of the best values out there especially for beginners. It does most everything you would want without spending a ton of money. This is important since when you are starting out, there are so many more things to get than just a radio.

KB3IRR Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2013 18:52 Send this review to a friend
Great RADIO  Time owned: more than 12 months
OK. This is my second contribution... 10 years later.

This is still my primary rig. Is it a $3000 rig? No? Does it have all the 'bells and whistles? No.

It is a radio, plain and simple. If you want sophistication... forget it. This is a radio, in the true sense of the word. Turn it on, tune in, and work the world. Lack of features made me a better operator.

ZL1DT Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2013 21:46 Send this review to a friend
Great rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This is an unassuming , small rig, which does not get the reviews it deserves. I have had mine for more than 12 months now, and it has performed perfectly on base and also portable. Mine was a "fixer-upper" (some clown with the golden screwdriver in hand), and I have rewired the 12v DC outlet on the back directly from the DC input (with a fuse inline). I have fitted a "proper" earth connection on the back, with wing-nut, as sometimes my portable antennas leave a lot to be desired! All in all, a great rig. Entry level or otherwise.
other rigs in the shack include Yaesu FT990,FT 101ZD, Kenwood TS 520, 520S and a WWII New Zealand milatary transceiver called a ZC1 MK2

W9HAN Rating: 5/5 Feb 11, 2013 20:18 Send this review to a friend
The best rig ever!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I got my HAM ticket in 2006 and extra class not long after that. Got into V/UHF right away and started looking for the perfect HF rig for me. I read jillions of reviews, made complicated spreadsheets, did analysis on all the features, assigned value indexes to the features and could not make a decision. I tend to like ICOM for some reason I canít explain and own all ICOM except a VX-3 which I love. From 2006 until now I never uttered a word or CW signal on HF while I did my research.

This past November 2012 I was at the FCARC Hamfest and I saw the FT-840 walk into the room and it was love at first sight. I knew absolutely nothing about the rig and had not researched it at all, but one look is all I needed and I bought it immediately without any research. I took it home then looked up the eHam reviews and was very happy with what I read. I bought every possible feature for the rig including the TCXO-4, FM, CW filter, AM filter and changed out the hot running 8.2 ohm resister with a 5 watt version. I replaced the dead meter light with an LED. Hooked up the LDG AT100Pro2 tuner and LMR-400 to the ZeroFive BROADBAND36 ground mounted vertical. WOW!

I have made contacts all over the world. Anything I can hear can hear me. The reports on the signal and audio are highly complimentary. The receiver is very good and appropriately sensitive. The controls are in the right place with the right feel. The feel of the radio is solid and well built. I love this near vintage radio.

Tonight I was searching the web for the perfect rig and reading reviews thinking I could do better than the FT-840. Then I realized I already have the best radio and decided it was time to write a review.

K7CID Rating: 5/5 Sep 3, 2012 19:09 Send this review to a friend
Exceptional receiver. Best bang for the buck!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm comparing this to my Yaesu FT-950 (2011). The 950 has more functions but costs about $1500. This 840 was less than $400. and has all the features I need. A very solid rig!

AD4Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2012 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Great Basic Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a used ft-840 from a store that had it in consigment and so far its working great. I like the receiver and I get good reports when I TX as well, but I will get a desktop microphone when I can instead of using the handheld mh-31.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2012 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Four Years later....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I posted a review on the first 840 I purchased back in August of 2008. Please read it a couple pages back.. But an update is in-order here. Since 2008, I've added THREE MORE 840's to my collection. They are the only HF rig I cannot bring myself to sell/trade. This is due to all the same reasons spurring folks to give it 5's. The anomaly with my first one turned out to be a bad tuner. I have noticed what appears to be a design problem of-sorts. The 6volt regulator circuit runs very close to it's current rating,and the big flameproof resistor gets hot enough to light a stogie. Even so, they keep on ticking, with seemingly no other issues. I just put a tiny muffin fan over the heatsink in all of my 840's because of the heat, but only as a precaution. The mod to replace all the front end signal diodes DOES transform the already great receive into superb receive! Worth the time and effort. Give yourself a full day on the bench. The chore can be "whipped-out" in about two hours, but take your time and just be careful.
For what they do vs what they now cost, there are few rigs to compare the 840 to.
The buyer should be aware of their obvious age tho, and be ready to recap them soon because 'Lytics do not last forever.

WA3YAY Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2012 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Really a pleasant radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It has a pleasant balance of performance and ease of use. Good dynamic range and clear, strong audio. Resistant to local noise. Don't miss the keypad. Love the real S-meter and bright yellow readout. You should be able to find one in the $400 range. The one I have is really clean. This is a perfect starter rig, or as in my case, my main rig. Combined with a suitable antenna and PC/Radio interface, it could be all you really need.

N0WYO Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2012 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I inherited this radio from a friend of mine who recently passed away. I was going to sell it, but couldn't bring myself to do it. It's a good thing I didn't!

I always liked this radio, and my friend and I used to make contacts on it years ago. Although the meter light is out now, it still works like a champ. I have the radio hooked up to the Yaesu SP-980 external speaker, and it sounds wonderful! I'll never sell this radio. And I'll always think of my old friend whenever I fire it up.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 16:50 Send this review to a friend
update New use for my old friend  Time owned: more than 12 months
update ~ Just got a Signalink USB hooked up to my old friend I bought in 1993, Yaesu FT-840. Simple set-up & using fldigi XP and Linux software.

Realized I had not changed the back-up battery since I bought the radio !! Took it out & tested on meter - 3.0 volts still good but I replaced it anyhow, ought to be good for another 18 or 19 years, huh?

Really glad I splurged back then and bought this radio.