Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-840 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-840
Yaesu FT-840 Reviews: 163 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: Compact High-Performance HF Transceiver
More info: http://yaesu.hamgear.eu/ft-840.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-840.

W3KKO Rating: 5/5 Sep 16, 2017 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Amazing and simple  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
As with other reviewers, I am a relatively new ham but have been around the hobby for 50 yrs. In September 2017 while considering inexpensive rigs for a second qth, I came across a very well priced and barely used original owner 2005 vintage FT840, with the updated Yaesu mic and box stamped Yaesu 50th Anniversary confirming the manufacture date. I quickly read the reviews here, then jumped on the rig. All I can say is this could end up the best ham radio purchase I will ever make. The receive audio is amazing, signal to noise ratio is outstanding, my audio reports from others are excellent, and the rig is simply easy and enjoyable to use. And to look at. I bought my FT-857D new in 2016, and now a 101ZD MK3 is in the shack helping me learn to operate a REAL rig and relive days of my youth sitting with my father (the original W3KKO), but this little FT-840 will never leave the house. I'm lucky that mine came with the AM filter and I've since installed an FM board. Playing on AM with this rig is fun, even with only 25 watts out. Yes the rig can run a little hot, doesn't have 6m, internal tuner, DSP or RF gain, and is a little finicky depending on antenna and tuner used (my LDG Z11Pro2 tuner and 80m EFHW are a very good match). But I highly recommend if you find one in good shape, buy it. You will absolutely not regret it!

KC1FWV Rating: 5/5 Jan 27, 2017 08:49 Send this review to a friend
A Keeper  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Being a new ham, I bought this radio (my first) at a club auction for $350. Several club members said it was a great radio and I should buy it, so I did. I put up a MFJ OCF dipole in the trees and started transmitting. In the first 3 months of operation I have logged 175 QSOs to 17 countries. If I can hear them, I can work them 90% of the time.

I have had many unsolicited reports of great signal and great audio. Radio is easy to use and it's small size makes it perfect for field use. Needless to say I am extremely happy with this rig and highly recommend it.

OE5BFM Rating: 5/5 Jun 16, 2016 04:26 Send this review to a friend
Great little donkeys!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The donkey is an inconspicuous, brave, nice looking, frugal and reliable workhorse. And this is my experience of the FT-840 :-)

At time I own two of them, for second-QTH, fieldday, garden-fun and so on. They are really fine working, pure shortwave-transceivers, very easy to use and both never got sick! Unfortunately I cannot say this about my much more complicated Main-Rigs like FT-1000MP or Kenwood TS-940.

The receiver is pretty sensitive, the SSB- and CW-Filtering is naturally not quite as good as the filtering of highend transceivers, but ok and useful for the typical daily use. And with the compressor this little rig has a remarkable "talk power"! The FT-840 has no overloading-problems with my wire antennas too.

If you like a little, easy to use and reliable Transceiver without gimmicks but with a real needle S-meter, in my opinion this is one of the very best in this class.

WA4CYP Rating: 5/5 Mar 29, 2016 17:45 Send this review to a friend
WA4CYP  Time owned: more than 12 months
I bought one of these wonderful little rigs brand new eight years ago, and it has performed flawlessly - I love it more with each passing day!

KC6JQT Rating: 5/5 Mar 18, 2016 10:02 Send this review to a friend
Excellent compact no frills HF Rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love the FT-840 series radio. Reliable, good sounding HF rig even if they made otional the FM board and quality AM filter which are hard to find these days and pricey. And I should state good given you make three key FT-840 improvements/updates. 1. All should replace R2213 (8.2 ohm 5% 2 Watt) power regulator resistor to a 5 watt version. Better yet buy one with a heat sink and strap it to the near by chassis and wire it to its stock position. This is the highest probable failure point in these rigs and the highest heat generator that causes your main oscillator to drift annoyingly. A chassis mount moves the heat to the massive chassis vs radiating into the inner chassis air near you master oscillator. You can see the condition of your R2213 though the bottom rear grill of the FT-840. Its raised for good reason but check for scorched resistor and PCB. 2. Create a dense foam sandwich for your main oscillator daughter card. This jackets the crystal and prevents minor drifts in core oscillator frequency with minor changes in internal temperature. Adjust OSC. at room temp and then cover in foam sandwich(thick top over crystal and thin bottom side covers). Both of my FT-840's runs rock solid stable SSB even after hour long key down QSO's(look mom no TCXO needed!). 3. Run +5v from main board to pin 2 of the front panels 8 pin mic plug. Requires one small trace cut at backside of mic plug pcb releasing pin 2 of 8 pin mic plug from ground. This enables you to run the MD-100 or other yaesu/after market powered microphone/Electret elements. UP/Donw and Fast operations are not effected. The powered MD-100 drive the FT-840 beautifully without the need of any processing all within ALC limits. Unlike the big brother Yaesu's with pin 2 5v mic power, Yaesu left out the pin 2 power from the FT-840 as it was an entry level radio(no frills) and openly notes the MD-100 is not fully supported. Thats it! The FT-840 is proven and sounds very nice even with its -3db 2.2Khz filter. The stock filter may be 2.2khz at -3db but is a fat 5khz at -6db providing some very good SSB audio running the MD-100. For an entry level Yaesu it has a very sensitive receiver. No it doesnt have the low noise floor of a 1000MP but darn close. Taken care and updated, these FT-840's will last a lifetime and are quite an affordable rig today. 73's

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Oct 17, 2015 07:57 Send this review to a friend
update  Time owned: more than 12 months
I experienced the "drift" and fixed it. My radio was purchased brand new March of 1994 but it sat on the shelf for 15 years until 2010. The drift started about a year ago. I found the oscillator, gave it a few turns in either direction, then reset it by listening to WWV and switching back and forth from VFO A & B until I got the tone correct. No more drift. I don't believe it is a heat issue. I mostly use the radio for digital modes and never have any problems with the rig. In fact, I think it "hears" better than my little Yaesu FT817. I have no other HF rigs to compare with; maybe one day I'll upgrade.

K6AJY Rating: 5/5 Oct 16, 2015 18:49 Send this review to a friend
k6ajt  Time owned: more than 12 months
it is a great rig from 160 to 10 meters & it is like new the best

AE4NR Rating: 2/5 Sep 23, 2015 09:21 Send this review to a friend
Burnt on the used market  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I made the sad mistake of purchasing this radio from an ebayer.I was getting back into ham radio and really could not afford to spend a bunch of money on radios as I did in the past.Soon as I got this radio in took it to a friends home he hooked it up and low and behold it would drift all over the band. I contacted the seller and he directed me to a repair shop who did fix the drifting problem.All I had to cover was the shipping now I have it back and the af/squelch pot is bad.But I guess with the years on these rigs this may happen

W4YV Rating: 5/5 Jul 17, 2015 17:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio, Excellent Receiver, not many bells and whistles  Time owned: more than 12 months
For twenty years more or less the FT-840 has sat on my desk while I tried every radio I could afford. I haven't bothered to hook up the power to the 12 Volt plug until July 2015. Finally I decided to give it a try. Well, I connected the antenna, power, and mic and pressed the power button and nothing. Oh it lit up, but I couldn't hear anything but a low level hiss. I thought DARN, this thing isn't working. What a disappointment! Well to be honest, "I thought to myself" it has been sitting for 20 years, something has gone South. The wife was looking on but didn't say much until she suggested I find a signal on my FT-950 to make sure the antenna was working. yep there was a good S9 signal from a chap in England. At this point I began to wonder if I could hear anything on the FT-840, or was the receive totally out. I turned the AF (volume) wide open while dialing in the station in England. You can guess what happened next, the signal coming over the FT-840 just about blew me out of the chair. I thought "what the heck". To make a long story short I hooked up four radios to the same antenna and the FT-840 signal to noise ratio was astounding! It beat the new expensive radios hands down! Please understand this was NOT a scientific test, it was just me listening. Say what you will, this little radio is great on receive!

K6AJY Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2015 16:28 Send this review to a friend
ke6ajy great rig  Time owned: more than 12 months
I like this rig I get other hams from 10 meters on 28.300 &28.500 it is a good rig