Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF+UHF models) | Yaesu FT-840 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-840
Yaesu FT-840 Reviews: 156 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: Compact High-Performance HF Transceiver
More info: http://yaesu.hamgear.eu/ft-840.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-840.

AD4Y Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2012 04:16 Send this review to a friend
Great Basic Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased a used ft-840 from a store that had it in consigment and so far its working great. I like the receiver and I get good reports when I TX as well, but I will get a desktop microphone when I can instead of using the handheld mh-31.

N4ZAW Rating: 5/5 Aug 10, 2012 05:00 Send this review to a friend
Four Years later....  Time owned: more than 12 months
I posted a review on the first 840 I purchased back in August of 2008. Please read it a couple pages back.. But an update is in-order here. Since 2008, I've added THREE MORE 840's to my collection. They are the only HF rig I cannot bring myself to sell/trade. This is due to all the same reasons spurring folks to give it 5's. The anomaly with my first one turned out to be a bad tuner. I have noticed what appears to be a design problem of-sorts. The 6volt regulator circuit runs very close to it's current rating,and the big flameproof resistor gets hot enough to light a stogie. Even so, they keep on ticking, with seemingly no other issues. I just put a tiny muffin fan over the heatsink in all of my 840's because of the heat, but only as a precaution. The mod to replace all the front end signal diodes DOES transform the already great receive into superb receive! Worth the time and effort. Give yourself a full day on the bench. The chore can be "whipped-out" in about two hours, but take your time and just be careful.
For what they do vs what they now cost, there are few rigs to compare the 840 to.
The buyer should be aware of their obvious age tho, and be ready to recap them soon because 'Lytics do not last forever.

WA3YAY Rating: 5/5 Jul 6, 2012 19:40 Send this review to a friend
Really a pleasant radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It has a pleasant balance of performance and ease of use. Good dynamic range and clear, strong audio. Resistant to local noise. Don't miss the keypad. Love the real S-meter and bright yellow readout. You should be able to find one in the $400 range. The one I have is really clean. This is a perfect starter rig, or as in my case, my main rig. Combined with a suitable antenna and PC/Radio interface, it could be all you really need.

N0WYO Rating: 5/5 Mar 19, 2012 19:12 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I inherited this radio from a friend of mine who recently passed away. I was going to sell it, but couldn't bring myself to do it. It's a good thing I didn't!

I always liked this radio, and my friend and I used to make contacts on it years ago. Although the meter light is out now, it still works like a champ. I have the radio hooked up to the Yaesu SP-980 external speaker, and it sounds wonderful! I'll never sell this radio. And I'll always think of my old friend whenever I fire it up.

KT4EP Rating: 5/5 Feb 27, 2012 16:50 Send this review to a friend
update New use for my old friend  Time owned: more than 12 months
update ~ Just got a Signalink USB hooked up to my old friend I bought in 1993, Yaesu FT-840. Simple set-up & using fldigi XP and Linux software.

Realized I had not changed the back-up battery since I bought the radio !! Took it out & tested on meter - 3.0 volts still good but I replaced it anyhow, ought to be good for another 18 or 19 years, huh?

Really glad I splurged back then and bought this radio.

NH6WM Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2012 18:27 Send this review to a friend
VFO Stuck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased the radio on Ebay. Was working great for about 1 month, then the VFO would not budge. Initially, I looked on Ebay for a replacement part, but when the price reached $106.00 I dropped out. Glad I did. I called Yaesu in California and spoke with Technician "Jerry" in the Amateur Radio section. He recommended I remove the VFO knob and let one drop of light oil run down the shaft. I did that, let it set about an hour, then gently worked it in by turning the knob. My VFO is LIKE NEW. Silky smooth.
I've found that the use of an external DSP, like the Radio Shack version (out of production but occasionally available on Ebay) really helps clean up noise and QRM. I was using an ICOM IC-735 as my base station. It's now my back-up.
73's
Bill/NH6WM

W3TWG Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2012 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Great mid size full feature rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is the "backup" fixed station rig and primary portable station. Can't ask for more, it's simple and gives the operator all he/she needs to have fun QSOs from vacation spots and CQ party locations. What finally sold me on this particular mid size radio was the real needle'd meter, not an LCD smudge. Not many of these type left - FT-890 may have a bit more, but the price tag reflects it too.
Don't pass up one of these, even if just to try for a bit, it's a pleasure to use.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2011 21:50 Send this review to a friend
basic and simple  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had one that i got for a really good deal, i used it a few times at home and the mobile and then traded it for a AL811A that i have now running 100 percent after getting it all checked out. But ya nice little rig. 73

CX6CAU Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2011 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Basic with great performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
A simple radio, easy to understand, with an excellent reception and works very well in all bands. I like very much to watch the needle meter and nowadays is not so common to find a needle meter in a compact transceiver.

N5XJT Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2011 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Sollid Rig with good Rx/Tx qualities  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have had my 840 for 3 mos. now - It's a great little rig although it's actually boring at times after being used to tuning/dipping my tube rigs. This one is mostly turn it on and key the mic. Generally, if you can hear 'em, you can work'em. Side by side with an older FT-950 and an IC-735, this rig is comparable or better in most categories. Would I part with it - No way!