Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur (inc. HF+6M+VHF models) | Yaesu FT-840 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-840
Yaesu FT-840 Reviews: 151 Average rating: 4.7/5 MSRP: $699.95
Description: Compact High-Performance HF Transceiver
More info: http://yaesu.hamgear.eu/ft-840.html

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-840.

NH6WM Rating: 5/5 Jan 23, 2012 18:27 Send this review to a friend
VFO Stuck  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Recently purchased the radio on Ebay. Was working great for about 1 month, then the VFO would not budge. Initially, I looked on Ebay for a replacement part, but when the price reached $106.00 I dropped out. Glad I did. I called Yaesu in California and spoke with Technician "Jerry" in the Amateur Radio section. He recommended I remove the VFO knob and let one drop of light oil run down the shaft. I did that, let it set about an hour, then gently worked it in by turning the knob. My VFO is LIKE NEW. Silky smooth.
I've found that the use of an external DSP, like the Radio Shack version (out of production but occasionally available on Ebay) really helps clean up noise and QRM. I was using an ICOM IC-735 as my base station. It's now my back-up.
73's
Bill/NH6WM

W3TWG Rating: 5/5 Jan 5, 2012 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Great mid size full feature rig!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This radio is the "backup" fixed station rig and primary portable station. Can't ask for more, it's simple and gives the operator all he/she needs to have fun QSOs from vacation spots and CQ party locations. What finally sold me on this particular mid size radio was the real needle'd meter, not an LCD smudge. Not many of these type left - FT-890 may have a bit more, but the price tag reflects it too.
Don't pass up one of these, even if just to try for a bit, it's a pleasure to use.

VA3MLV Rating: 5/5 Dec 25, 2011 21:50 Send this review to a friend
basic and simple  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Had one that i got for a really good deal, i used it a few times at home and the mobile and then traded it for a AL811A that i have now running 100 percent after getting it all checked out. But ya nice little rig. 73

CX6CAU Rating: 5/5 Nov 2, 2011 08:09 Send this review to a friend
Basic with great performance  Time owned: more than 12 months
A simple radio, easy to understand, with an excellent reception and works very well in all bands. I like very much to watch the needle meter and nowadays is not so common to find a needle meter in a compact transceiver.

N5XJT Rating: 5/5 Oct 22, 2011 09:54 Send this review to a friend
Sollid Rig with good Rx/Tx qualities  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Have had my 840 for 3 mos. now - It's a great little rig although it's actually boring at times after being used to tuning/dipping my tube rigs. This one is mostly turn it on and key the mic. Generally, if you can hear 'em, you can work'em. Side by side with an older FT-950 and an IC-735, this rig is comparable or better in most categories. Would I part with it - No way!

KD4AT Rating: 4/5 Sep 17, 2011 00:01 Send this review to a friend
nice rig for the money  Time owned: more than 12 months
I found this rig used for a dirt cheap price and decided to take a chance on it. I have used it now off and on for a year and change and have to say I am rather impressed. The radio doesn't have all the newest features or anything like that, but it is a solid performer that does what it is designed to.

I wanted something that was fm capable on 10 and that is a feature that isn't even an option on icom's 718 which was the main competitor to this rig. Having used them both, I consider it a personal preference as to which would be the better entry level radio. It would come down to the features that you need. They each have things the other lacks.

Let's see....good points:
Nice receiver
FM capable on 10 meters
Very straight forward operation
Still available on the cheap in the used market

bad points:
really only two
I can't see that the noise blanker makes any difference when I operate. I have a high rfi environment and it may just be too much for the rig as I have heard others say that they liked the noise blanker on this radio.
There is no ssb filter option. (inrad, whatup???) I would have very much have liked to had the option to add a filter to make the ssb just a tad more selective. In crowded conditions, you have to work for your contact.

I gave right around 200 for this radio. For that kind of money, how can you go wrong?

73!
KD4AT

2E1CYH Rating: 5/5 Jun 17, 2011 04:35 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Little Radio  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I bought my FT-840 after a long time QRT, this is a fantastic no bells & whistles radio, the RX is very punchy & TX audio reports have been 5+ most of the time. I run this radio at 35 Watts max, mainly on 20mtr band using a homebrew wire monoband dipole.
If you want a no frills solid HF radio, you won't go far wrong with this little gem.

KE5BYM Rating: 5/5 Dec 5, 2010 15:30 Send this review to a friend
Wonderful little rig!  Time owned: more than 12 months
A friend of mine gave me the FT-840, and alot of other ham gear, because he was making a long distance move. This is one great little rig! What a pleasure to use, and without a countless list of setup menus to deal with. It has performed and done everything I have asked of it, so far. It has become my "primary" backup rig when all else fails. If you find one, that has not been dropped out of the back of the truck or something, BUY IT! You will not regret it.

N7BBX Rating: 5/5 Sep 22, 2010 20:34 Send this review to a friend
Definition of Simple  Time owned: more than 12 months
Buy it [as of 9/10 going for $300] connect power supply, antenna, tuner if necessary, amp if necessary and Talk. Once in a while to reduce QRM adjust the shift knob. Radio works great. I also have a Kenwood TS-570D with many more bells and whistles ...but... the 840 holds it own. I have, at one time or another, owned many many rigs..dollar for dollar....you get the best deal with the 840.

KI6KJS Rating: 5/5 Jul 27, 2010 21:19 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: more than 12 months
I've had My FT=840 over two years. I intended to use it as a portable radio but had to put it in service as the main radio when the Icom failed. I purchased a Ten-Tec and it was and excellent radio until Lightning took it out along with a Dentron amp. So the FT-840 is My only radio at present. I use it with an Ameritron ALS-600 and a MFJ tunable DSP. This is and Excellent Radio and a keeper for life.