Reviews Categories | QRP Accessories | QRPworks SideKar for Elecraft KX2, KX3, K3, K3S, and others Help

Reviews Summary for QRPworks SideKar for Elecraft KX2, KX3, K3, K3S, and others
QRPworks SideKar for Elecraft KX2, KX3, K3, K3S, and others Reviews: 6 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $259.00
Description: Mounts on the side of the KX3, the top of the KX2 , or sits on a desk with
supplied brackets
Send, create & edit 20 messages/macros
Sunlight readable
Only 5.6 oz (159g) and attaches to the KX2 or KX3 in seconds
More info: http://www.qrpworks.com/sidekar.html

You can write your own review of the QRPworks SideKar for Elecraft KX2, KX3, K3, K3S, and others.

AK4QK Rating: 5/5 Apr 21, 2017 10:07 Send this review to a friend
Great produxt and great customer service too!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great accessory for the KX2 and KX3. Currently installed on my KX2. Set up was easy and quick. Five to ten minutes and you're up and running. Getting the wireless keyboard running was a snap too. Just a fun little accessory to get more funcationalilty out of your rig. I need to mention customer service. I sent them an email and they quickly responded to my question.Excellent! If you're considering buying one, don't wait. Well worth the investment.

W3DX Rating: 5/5 Feb 16, 2017 11:15 Send this review to a friend
Great accessory for my KX2!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I recently purchased a SideKar for my KX2, and really like it. It's a great companion to the radio, and it's like putting the KX2 into overdrive. I principally use the KX2 for SOTA, and for taking my KX2 out to a park and logging contacts with home-made antennas. The SideKar gives me a wireless keyboard to send text, provides many more memory functions with a calsign wildcard, and enables me to log contacts (again with a callsign wildcard) and download log files to my computer. I chose the SideKar over the KBoard product because it has a text display and offers the logging function, and only weighs another 2 ounces. The SideKar is small, light, easy and intuitive to use, and is very well made. It comes with two free Windows utilities, a memory manager and a log file manager.

VA7BC Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Rugged American Quality  Time owned: more than 12 months
I purchased my SideKar when they first came out for the KX3. It was an excellent performer then and still is. Although I have a PX3, I much prefer the screen on the SideKar for following a digimode QSO. Screen lettering is the right size and has good contrast. Now that I have a KX2, I am happy to see that QRPworks now offers a small kit to allow the SideKar to fit the KX2. And fit it does....perfect. So needless to say I'm happy with the product over the years and nice to see its evolution and product support for the Gen 1 unit persisting. And free firmware updates from QRPworks as well. Can't say anything negative about the product, its quality build, function and product support. And from a North American company. Sweet.

K5TGS Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 19:51 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice Idea!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am rather new to CW, so I was looking for some help in the copy and sending side of morse code. The Sidekar has done it for me!
But, before I move on I need to comment on two aspects of this company. First, the product quality is what I call, top drawer. The Sidekar is a solid product, with very nice build quality, it just seems top quality when you are using it. Secondly, the customer service is also tops. I have contacted them numerous times, with basic questions, and they always respond quickly and have an answer to help me out.
Now, the product. For me I can send my CW code with low power, into a dummy load, and se how accurate I am with my key. I prefer their display over the KX line of Elecraft because it is larger and displays more characters. their design also permits one to use a keyboard if they wish, or if there is a handicap that prohibits an operator from hand operation.
This is my first review, and I am very happy I made this purchase. As I learn more, and there is much more this device is capable of, I will post again.
If you purchase the Sidekar I think you will be very pleased.

W7BV Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 08:53 Send this review to a friend
Excellant KX2 and KX3 Accessory  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have used the SideKar with my KX3 since last October and with my KX2 since July. It is an excellent, compact CW, PSK, and RTTY reader as well as sending stored messages using either the radio's keyer or a USB keyboard, and logs the qso time, date, frequency and exchange. The SideKar attaches to the side of the KX3 or on top of the KX2 with supplied brackets. It is powered by an external 9v battery or jointly with an external power source for the radios. The owners, Shel and Steve, both provide excellent service and respond rapidly to inquiries and orders.

N4MMI Rating: 5/5 Sep 20, 2016 19:30 Send this review to a friend
AWESOME keyboard interface, display, & logger for my KX3  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
It's not often that a product comes along that so exceeds my expectations that I'm blown away. The QRPworks SideKar is that product! I first learned about the device when I purchased a case online to carry my KX3 on SOTA expeditions from one of the QRPworks owners, Shel, KF0UR. He mentioned I might want to look into a new accessory made for Elecraft radios that he and an associate had developed. It is much like their Ham Central Terminal, but more compact, lighter, and mounts directly to a KX2 or KX3. As a Colorado ham, Shel knows from experience how important light and compact are for a SOTA operator.

I gave it a look online. $259 for a device that allows me to run RTTY and PSK (and CW) from 14,000 feet without carrying a computer, and yet able to send with a wireless or USB keyboard, log at the same time, and read 40 characters instead of my KX3's 8! Awesome! I was a little skeptical, but after dealing with Shel on the KX3 case, I trusted the guy. I am glad I did!

I guess I'm "that guy" because I hate to read instructions out of the gate. When the SideKar showed up, I installed the single screw that was required, plugged the unit in to the KX3 and to a 13.8 volt power supply, plugged in the wireless 2.4 GHz keyboard dongle, and went to town. Didn't read the instructions. This thing is seriously plug and play! Within 2 minutes I was reading QSOs on the display in CW and PSK on 20 meters. In a few more minutes, I made my first CW contact by keyboard (I'm working on code, but not there yet). This is an amazing little device and it's so light and small, I won't notice it a bit carrying it up over 14k in Colorado next summer. It even comes with a shorter cord to connect it to the rig so you don't have the long factory cord in the way!

I really love this little gem. Give it a look. It might be just the ticket for expanding your operating opportunities when running portable with a KX2 or KX3. And by the way, it looks like a factory accessory from Elecraft. It fits perfectly with my Side KX plates and Cooler KX Plus heat sink too! It also goes on and off easily so my KX3 still fits in it's Pelican without the unit attached.

/David, N4MMI