Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Verticals; Wire; Loop | MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna
MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$139.99
Description: 130' End Fed Half Wave wire antenna for 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10

You can write your own review of the MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna.

AB0O Rating: 4/5 Feb 20, 2018 06:48 Send this review to a friend
Third Review - Still good  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Since the last review, had a chance to change the antenna from the first location to a second and then a third location. The third location is about 30ft off the ground and in the clear, except for the last 10ft which attaches to a tree trunk through some branches. The antenna is now being fed with 50ft of DavisRF BuryFlex LowLoss RG-8.
Using the MFJ antenna analyser, the antenna still shows an SWR of not lower than 1.7:1 on 40m, 15m, and at 3.500mhz. All other bands are at 2:1 or 2.1:1 at the lowest points. I tend to operate at 3.950, 14.332, 28.325 and none of these frequencies are below 1.9:1, with 3.950 being over 4:1.
The autotuner on my 7610 handles all the bands except 75m, so I assigned all bands to ANT1 on my radio and assigned 80m to ANT2. I then put an MFJ 8010 TravelTuner in the ANT2 line with an antenna selector for all bands and 80m separately. With the antenna analyser, I adjusted the external tuner to show the radio an SWR of 1.5:1 at 3.950Mhz. With that set up, the autotuner has no problem tuning 75m.

Operationally, the antenna performs well. If I can hear DX stations at S4 to S5, then generally they will hear me. If I hear them at S2 to S4, they know I'm there, but it's tough to work them. Anything above S6 or S7, the other station can almost always hear me and gives me a good report. I check into my state Traffic Net on 75m every night and I get S10 or S20 reports.

Overall, I am pleased with the antenna. I have many years of experience with wire antennas and decided to take the lazy way out on this QTH by buying a reputable end-fed "no-tuner" wire that I could install quickly. After trying several configurations, I am not sure it would be possible to achieve no-tuner performance in real-world city lot conditions, but most radio autotuners can handle the antenna with good results.

After one Midwestern winter, the antenna has not suffered any mechanical problems.

I would buy another MyAntennas product given the same operating conditions.
WB4OZM Rating: 5/5 Feb 15, 2018 07:26 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Performer!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have purchased this on a recommendation from the 3.610 group as I needed a portable antenna with excellent performance because I sold my business, the house and was moving to Ecuador. I love going to the mountains with backpack to set up shop for the day. I also needed an antenna that was end fed for space issues. No ground really needed for this antenna ( but itís best if you do for static bleeding)
Purchase one, you will not regret it.
I did purchase the 160-40m 2kw version for my QTH in Ecuador. Using it now as an inverted ďLĒ for 160/80m
I get excellent reports from the states.
N0GWC Rating: 5/5 Feb 14, 2018 07:27 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a small suburban home with very limited space for antennas. I had great success with a homebrew 40M vertical, but have wanted easy access to other bands. After seeing reviews about the 8010 I decided to give it a try. My lot is too small for a straight line orientation, but I could easily make it fit by going 25 feet vertical and then making a "Z" with the remaining length. I have low enough SWR's that my Icom 7300 will easily tune with the internal tuner. On 80M I have to use an outboard tuner. Results have been beyond expectation. I have logged many FT-8 contacts on 80, 40, 30, 20, and 17 meters. If you don't have room for a lot of big antennas or have to use low visibility antennas because of restrictions, this is a product that can greatly increase your satisfaction with ham radio!
KB2UBH Rating: 5/5 Jan 19, 2018 12:51 Send this review to a friend
Easy to install, good reports  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
Recently retired, new QTH and just getting back into ham radio. Needed something quick and easy before all the snow flew and for a small lot. Installed about 25ft up running into a tree about 35ft up making a right turn and sloping to about 8ft off the ground.Have yet to find any frequency the built in tuner on my FTdx1200 can not handle. Just purchased another one for my son who is still a tech but wanting to upgrade. HIGHLY recommend!
K3EY Rating: 5/5 Dec 14, 2017 06:43 Send this review to a friend
Better than I Hoped For!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Installed this antenna from five feet off the ground attached to a very good ground I had previously installed- a buried ten foot heavy copper ground rod--up to 40 foot pole down over the hill tied off to a tree at 20 feet. This antenn out performs my Alpha Delta DDX-LB Plus up on same pole installed as inverted Vee.

I worked qrp on 75 meters around the big boys running full legal limit, they were very impressed. I also use it for qrpp under one watt with excellent results. It also works well for hearing NDB's below 500Khz. If you live in an antenna unfriendly neighborhood this antenna is almost invisible.

The guy who makes these antennas designed the Cushcraft R8 vertical I had up for 15 years with world wide DX worked. I couldnít be happier and in fact pleasantly surprised with itís excellent performance.
VA3BKM Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2017 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Love this antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the 8010 as a portable antenna for trips to the cottage and camping trips.I typically have it up as an inverted "L" or "V" depending on circumstances.I use a 40' Spiderpole to help at one end or in the middle depending on configuration.
On a recent trip to Georgian Bay Ontario, I was able to work KC4AAA at the South Pole on 20 meters using my FT-817, I was blown away, 15,000km with 5 watts!
It's now set up at my home QTH, I have ordered the 4010 to take on trips for the reduced length.
I don't have a beam to compare it to, but it does much better than my G5RV at a similiar height.
For ease of setup and not having to use a tuner, this one gets a "5"!!
N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2017 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent simple  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm really impressed with this antenna... SWRs have been excellent... I don't need a tuner unless I'm in the fm portion in the 10m band. If I can hear them, I can work them. Have been getting excellent signal reports on 40m and 20m. It out performs the 10m vertical that I've been loading from 20-10m by far. I'm running it as an inverted L. It was very simple to setup. I'm glad I got this one instead of a Windom. It really feels like someone breathed new life into my TS-2000.
W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2017 05:47 Send this review to a friend
The easiest antenna to install  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the EFHW for over a year and it has been very effective, however, a little noisy due to house electronics. So, I bought the CMC-330 choke and now the noise is ALL gone. The EFHW is equally quiet as my NVIS which is way away from the house.

If I could have only one antenna, this would be the one. Easy to install and works. One end on the house eave and the other to a tree.
WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2017 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Does what it should!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna does what it claims----great SWR over a wide bandwidth, pretty much impervious to its mounting. I hung mine up where I could, great tuning and I use it without fail for JT65 on any band. Granted, its a dipole, not a beam, but put it up and forget it wit no wqrries. Its also very well built, the mounting, box, balun, wire, etc......I would buy another if needed and also recommend to anyone who needs a wide band. Just remember thought, its not a 5-element beam. And the mail order and web site is extremely fast, great service if you have any questions before hand. de WO8USA
KD0ZV Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Surprised !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one of the simplest antennas to install and will surprise you with the performance. Support is good when needed. The antenna is too light of gauge (18ga) in my opinion so I ended up rebuilding it. I debated giving the antenna a 4 for this reason but based on excellent support responses from Danny I shall keep it a 5.

I built a relay box to sit next to the 49:1 transfer he ships and I bypass the xformer and direct feed it for 160 meters. Basically a 1/4 wave inverted L. Also works fantastic. So far its blowing the doors off my 160 balanced line 1/2 wave. I was surprised.