Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna
MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna Reviews: 16 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$139.99
Description: 130' End Fed Half Wave wire antenna for 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10
More info: http://MyAntennas.com

You can write your own review of the MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna.

AB0O Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2017 18:58 Send this review to a friend
Very impressive  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Returning to the air after being absent for 5 yrs, I needed a simple antenna that either didn't need a tuner or that could easily be matched by my HF rig's auto tuner. I am on a city lot with a row of trees along the back fence, so I simply extended it from the 2nd floor shack window to the corner tree about 75 ft away, then turned 90 degrees and just threaded it through branches and tied the end off with a bungee cord to allow for sway. In very marginal band conditions and using only 25 watts, I was heard by stateside, Central America and Western European stations…usually with the first call. The tuner on my ProII needs very little time to tune all the bands via the 10-ft coax. Worked about 20 countries during the CQWW contest with 25 watts. Works for me!

VA3BKM Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2017 08:13 Send this review to a friend
Love this antenna!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I have been using the 8010 as a portable antenna for trips to the cottage and camping trips.I typically have it up as an inverted "L" or "V" depending on circumstances.I use a 40' Spiderpole to help at one end or in the middle depending on configuration.
On a recent trip to Georgian Bay Ontario, I was able to work KC4AAA at the South Pole on 20 meters using my FT-817, I was blown away, 15,000km with 5 watts!
It's now set up at my home QTH, I have ordered the 4010 to take on trips for the reduced length.
I don't have a beam to compare it to, but it does much better than my G5RV at a similiar height.
For ease of setup and not having to use a tuner, this one gets a "5"!!

N1RIK Rating: 5/5 Sep 12, 2017 12:37 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Antenna..no tuner...so simple  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm really impressed with this antenna... SWRs have been excellent... I don't need a tuner unless I'm in the fm portion in the 10m band. If I can hear them, I can work them. Have been getting excellent signal reports on 40m and 20m. It out performs the 10m vertical that I've been loading from 20-10m by far. I'm running it as an inverted L. It was very simple to setup. I'm glad I got this one instead of a Windom. It really feels like someone breathed new life into my TS-2000.

W2BLC Rating: 5/5 Aug 26, 2017 05:47 Send this review to a friend
The easiest antenna to install  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have had the EFHW for over a year and it has been very effective, however, a little noisy due to house electronics. So, I bought the CMC-330 choke and now the noise is ALL gone. The EFHW is equally quiet as my NVIS which is way away from the house.

If I could have only one antenna, this would be the one. Easy to install and works. One end on the house eave and the other to a tree.

WO8USA Rating: 5/5 Jul 20, 2017 15:59 Send this review to a friend
Does what it should!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
The antenna does what it claims----great SWR over a wide bandwidth, pretty much impervious to its mounting. I hung mine up where I could, great tuning and I use it without fail for JT65 on any band. Granted, its a dipole, not a beam, but put it up and forget it wit no wqrries. Its also very well built, the mounting, box, balun, wire, etc......I would buy another if needed and also recommend to anyone who needs a wide band. Just remember thought, its not a 5-element beam. And the mail order and web site is extremely fast, great service if you have any questions before hand. de WO8USA

KD0ZV Rating: 5/5 Jul 19, 2017 06:01 Send this review to a friend
Surprised !  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is one of the simplest antennas to install and will surprise you with the performance. Support is good when needed. The antenna is too light of gauge (18ga) in my opinion so I ended up rebuilding it. I debated giving the antenna a 4 for this reason but based on excellent support responses from Danny I shall keep it a 5.

I built a relay box to sit next to the 49:1 transfer he ships and I bypass the xformer and direct feed it for 160 meters. Basically a 1/4 wave inverted L. Also works fantastic. So far its blowing the doors off my 160 balanced line 1/2 wave. I was surprised.

KG7YSE Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2017 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new General and this is my first HF antenna purchase. For my needs and the way my ham shack is laid out, this was the perfect antenna for my needs. I am using LMR 400 for feedline, antenna is up on a pole above the 2nd story roofline and goes straight out to a field with another 30 foot pole supporting the far end. This antenna really gets out and receives great using an MFJ intellituner.
The antenna is oriented east to west and I am using just 100 watts. Very satisfied with this antenna.

KD8M Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2017 11:45 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new ham, and just retired from military communications. This was my first antenna, and it came to me as part of a "turn-key" used ham shack. I have an IC-7000 with an LDG AT-100 tuner. The antenna pretty much "hits" all the ham bands in the 80m - 10m bands it claims, as per a RigExpert 1000 antenna analyzer. However, all of the "spikes" in the analysis are very, very sharp V-shapes into the less-than-2.0 range. This means that on either edge of the frequency range, the SWR climbs to 6:1. The tuner generally pulls it into range, but there are some edge frequencies that are SWR > 5:1. For example, on the 10m band, I stay 50kHz from either edge of the band.

I contacted Danny via email a couple of times; his answers were short and direct, "see the FAQs". While I did miss one line in the FAQs, the other two were not really addressed. Find your local club's Elmer for better support.

I really wanted to get into 160m and 60m, so when I found the MapleLeaf QSO-King, that covered all the ham bands from 160-6, I was skeptical. Dang it, I wish I'd found it first! Bruce Beckett is very patient and helpful and saved me a lot of angst. Everyone says this antenna sounds MUCH clearer and more powerful.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2017 10:15 Send this review to a friend
easy to set up, works well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works. How, I don't really know, as it's an endfed with no counterpoise required. Just run your coax to the matching unit, and string the wire as high as possible, perhaps over a pine bough as at my qth. The matching unit may be considered as a remote matcher with no moving parts or adjustments. I think with some rigs you could get by without a tuner at all, but as some bands approached 2:1 I use the built-in autotuner for a perfect match. It plays on every HF band except 60, and so far the results have been good - surprisingly so. If you only can put up one antenna, this should be considered.

K6BRN Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2017 17:40 Send this review to a friend
East to put in, Works Well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This 130 foot long end-fed wire antenna has been optimized for ease of use and is not at all fussy about how you lay it out or how high it is mounted (within reason).

It's an end-fed multiband resonant wire antenna with a built-in matching network (49:1 autotransformer, I think) at the feed end. Just plug the feed end into your coax, run the other end to a convenient mounting point, and you are good to go.

It covers 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 30, 40 and 80M, and in SOME setups will even load up on 160M and 60M (at reduced power and efficiency - not at all recommended by the maker - but I've made quite a few low-power 160M JT-65 contacts with it) with decent SWR (less than 2.5:1). It can be arranged as a straight dipole, bent dipole, inverted V, inverted L, horizontal V and other shapes without serious SWR degradation or significant RF current on the outside of the coax shield (external shield currents can cause RF feedback into the "shack"). Works way better than my Comet CHA-250B and old elevated Hustler 6BTV vertical antennas, but not as well as my Mosley TA-33-MW + 40M 3 element Yagi, as expected.

Actual users of this wire antenna tend to really like it because of its extreme ease of installation, good behavior under less than ideal mounting conditions, reasonable performance and relatively low cost.

Armchair antenna analysts who have never used this somewhat unique wire antenna (needs no external tuner, little RF on the coax outer shield, not fussy about placement, etc.) often bash the antenna as "impossible" for various humorous reasons (mostly, they just don't understand it, so therefore it can't work). Yet it violates no physical laws (Danny, the designer, is very frank about how and why it works) and really works quite well.

It comes in 200W, 1,000W and 1,500 W ICAS (Intermittent Commercial Service) versions, which differ mainly in the beefiness of the matching network and has a little brother in the half-length (63 feet) EFHW-4010 10-40M version. BTW, while Danny has tested these antennas at higher power, I always take "ICAS" with a grain of salt and significantly derate any ICAS power spec. If in any doubt, or running high duty cycle/high power modes like RTTY, buy the higher power version rather than the lower power one.

I was a skeptic myself, initially, until a Ham I talked to near my QTH invited me over to look at it and try it out at his place. His installation was nearly absurd by most measures, but he was making lots of contacts nonetheless. So I bought an EFHF-4010 for a trip I was taking and used it (portable) at various locations with great success. I liked it so much I bought the EFHW-8010 1K version for my West Coast QTH, where it adds 80M and 30M coverage and works great, but has also worked for me on 160M and 60M (not recommended by maker, but works for me at low power levels), in a horizontal V configuration, about 22 feet up.

This is not a miracle antenna, will not work as well as a well-placed Yagi, but is great for travel (coils up into little space), as a nearly invisible stealth antenna (I usually have to point it out to people or they don't notice it) or as a band gap-filler antenna.

If you do happen to run into someone who does not like this antenna and its cousins, ask first: Why, have you used it? Do you have one? I've yet to see a bad review from actual users.

Best Regards - K6BRN