Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Vertical, Wire, Loop | MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna Help

Reviews Summary for MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna
MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna Reviews: 19 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$139.99
Description: 130' End Fed Half Wave wire antenna for 80/40/30/20/17/15/12/10
More info: http://MyAntennas.com

You can write your own review of the MyAntennas EFHW-8010 antenna.

KG7YSE Rating: 5/5 May 8, 2017 11:18 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new General and this is my first HF antenna purchase. For my needs and the way my ham shack is laid out, this was the perfect antenna for my needs. I am using LMR 400 for feedline, antenna is up on a pole above the 2nd story roofline and goes straight out to a field with another 30 foot pole supporting the far end. This antenna really gets out and receives great using an MFJ intellituner.
The antenna is oriented east to west and I am using just 100 watts. Very satisfied with this antenna.

KD8M Rating: 4/5 Apr 3, 2017 11:45 Send this review to a friend
It works  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I am a new ham, and just retired from military communications. This was my first antenna, and it came to me as part of a "turn-key" used ham shack. I have an IC-7000 with an LDG AT-100 tuner. The antenna pretty much "hits" all the ham bands in the 80m - 10m bands it claims, as per a RigExpert 1000 antenna analyzer. However, all of the "spikes" in the analysis are very, very sharp V-shapes into the less-than-2.0 range. This means that on either edge of the frequency range, the SWR climbs to 6:1. The tuner generally pulls it into range, but there are some edge frequencies that are SWR > 5:1. For example, on the 10m band, I stay 50kHz from either edge of the band.

I contacted Danny via email a couple of times; his answers were short and direct, "see the FAQs". While I did miss one line in the FAQs, the other two were not really addressed. Find your local club's Elmer for better support.

I really wanted to get into 160m and 60m, so when I found the MapleLeaf QSO-King, that covered all the ham bands from 160-6, I was skeptical. Dang it, I wish I'd found it first! Bruce Beckett is very patient and helpful and saved me a lot of angst. Everyone says this antenna sounds MUCH clearer and more powerful.

NZ5L Rating: 5/5 Mar 9, 2017 10:15 Send this review to a friend
easy to set up, works well.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This antenna works. How, I don't really know, as it's an endfed with no counterpoise required. Just run your coax to the matching unit, and string the wire as high as possible, perhaps over a pine bough as at my qth. The matching unit may be considered as a remote matcher with no moving parts or adjustments. I think with some rigs you could get by without a tuner at all, but as some bands approached 2:1 I use the built-in autotuner for a perfect match. It plays on every HF band except 60, and so far the results have been good - surprisingly so. If you only can put up one antenna, this should be considered.

K6BRN Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2017 17:40 Send this review to a friend
East to put in, Works Well  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This 130 foot long end-fed wire antenna has been optimized for ease of use and is not at all fussy about how you lay it out or how high it is mounted (within reason).

It's an end-fed multiband resonant wire antenna with a built-in matching network (49:1 autotransformer, I think) at the feed end. Just plug the feed end into your coax, run the other end to a convenient mounting point, and you are good to go.

It covers 10, 12, 15, 17, 20, 30, 40 and 80M, and in SOME setups will even load up on 160M and 60M (at reduced power and efficiency - not at all recommended by the maker - but I've made quite a few low-power 160M JT-65 contacts with it) with decent SWR (less than 2.5:1). It can be arranged as a straight dipole, bent dipole, inverted V, inverted L, horizontal V and other shapes without serious SWR degradation or significant RF current on the outside of the coax shield (external shield currents can cause RF feedback into the "shack"). Works way better than my Comet CHA-250B and old elevated Hustler 6BTV vertical antennas, but not as well as my Mosley TA-33-MW + 40M 3 element Yagi, as expected.

Actual users of this wire antenna tend to really like it because of its extreme ease of installation, good behavior under less than ideal mounting conditions, reasonable performance and relatively low cost.

Armchair antenna analysts who have never used this somewhat unique wire antenna (needs no external tuner, little RF on the coax outer shield, not fussy about placement, etc.) often bash the antenna as "impossible" for various humorous reasons (mostly, they just don't understand it, so therefore it can't work). Yet it violates no physical laws (Danny, the designer, is very frank about how and why it works) and really works quite well.

It comes in 200W, 1,000W and 1,500 W ICAS (Intermittent Commercial Service) versions, which differ mainly in the beefiness of the matching network and has a little brother in the half-length (63 feet) EFHW-4010 10-40M version. BTW, while Danny has tested these antennas at higher power, I always take "ICAS" with a grain of salt and significantly derate any ICAS power spec. If in any doubt, or running high duty cycle/high power modes like RTTY, buy the higher power version rather than the lower power one.

I was a skeptic myself, initially, until a Ham I talked to near my QTH invited me over to look at it and try it out at his place. His installation was nearly absurd by most measures, but he was making lots of contacts nonetheless. So I bought an EFHF-4010 for a trip I was taking and used it (portable) at various locations with great success. I liked it so much I bought the EFHW-8010 1K version for my West Coast QTH, where it adds 80M and 30M coverage and works great, but has also worked for me on 160M and 60M (not recommended by maker, but works for me at low power levels), in a horizontal V configuration, about 22 feet up.

This is not a miracle antenna, will not work as well as a well-placed Yagi, but is great for travel (coils up into little space), as a nearly invisible stealth antenna (I usually have to point it out to people or they don't notice it) or as a band gap-filler antenna.

If you do happen to run into someone who does not like this antenna and its cousins, ask first: Why, have you used it? Do you have one? I've yet to see a bad review from actual users.

Best Regards - K6BRN

K5YNC Rating: 5/5 Jan 1, 2017 07:05 Send this review to a friend
A Great Antenna  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
There are so many choices when deciding on a HF antenna. As a new General, I could not make that decision. Space was not an issue since I have 100 acres, but since we run a business on site, having an antenna out of the way of nosy customers was a must. This antenna fits the bill... easy to install, and great on the air. Excited to hear what I had been missing. Great product...looking to purchase an additional one for camping...this antenna is THAT EASY to hand up!

N6YFM Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2016 12:25 Send this review to a friend
Very Nice  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
My only HF antenna was a comet H-422 rotating dipole, which works well on 10,15,20, and 40m.

I was really interested in trying out 12, 17, 30, and 80 also. So a friend convinced me to try one out. I guess it really does not get any easier than this. There is really no right/wrong way to put it up. It is all shades of grey.

If you don't have a long property, fold it back.
It you can't get up high, use it lower.
Just string it from one end post to another in some fashion, and the antenna will work.

Naturally, a tower and a directional beam would do better. But I don't have that. So this is great, and I am having a ton of fun on the new bands. And Danny, the owner who makes and sells the EFHW-1080, is super great on customer service and customer support.

It's also a great antenna for travel and field use. You can carry it in a brief case and toss it up in almost any configuration to get on the air.

Enjoy,

Neal

K6GB Rating: 5/5 Nov 27, 2016 11:30 Send this review to a friend
Nice Piece!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have mine installed as an inverted "u", fed with a remote MFJ autotuner, loads well, gets me out on all bands. The quality of construction is excellent. I an very happy with this antenna.

KM4DCJ Rating: 5/5 Sep 21, 2016 08:20 Send this review to a friend
A Sinle antenna that works on 8 bands  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
This is an easy set up antenna that works on 8 bands! Mine resonated on all bands with SWRs of under 2.5 except for the high end of 80m, and my internal tuner has no trouble tuning to 1 SWR. It is easy to set up. I have mine with the feed point on a tree at about 7' then sloping up to about 20' leveling off there and then back down to about 10' at the end and in this configuration (from North Carolina) have worked most states including Alaska and Hawaii, Russia, The Gambia, Australia, and many more! My prior antenna was a fan-dipole mounted in my attic and this antenna is much quieter. Service is fantastic! I have e-mailed a few questions to Danny and have gotten quick and knowledgable responses. At one point a storm knocked down a 70' tree that stretched and broke my antenna wire and Danny was able to send me a replacement wire so I was back on the air in a few days. I have no experience with tower antennas so it may not compete with them, but if you're looking for a single antenna that is easy to deploy and works on 8 bands, then I'd recommend you give it a try.

W5RG Rating: 5/5 Aug 3, 2016 11:11 Send this review to a friend
GREAT ANTENNA  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I live in a HOA and have used the EFHW 80-10 meter end feed antenna before, I wanted this antenna to have a larger balun for 1.5 KW plus 160-10 meter operation. I used my own wire which is smaller than what he sends with the package because my wire is harder to see by the HOA cops! It is mounted 30ft at each end and after playing with a counterpoise the only band with high SWR is 80 meters at 3:1 all the rest are 1.5 or less. I can use my tuner in the rig for 80 meters. The counterpoise worked out to be a little over 100ft long and ran down from the tree to the ground which I then just lay the rest on the ground around the back yard. After playing with that I raised the feed line...50ft of lmr-400...6ft off the ground to the 1:1 balun then into the shack. Very well made and so far very happy with it.. Bob W5RG