Reviews Categories | Interfaces, Radio to computer, amp, rotor, coax switch, internet | SharkRF OpenSPOT Help

Reviews Summary for SharkRF OpenSPOT
SharkRF OpenSPOT Reviews: 17 Average rating: 4.4/5 MSRP: $204.00
Description: The SharkRF openSpot is a digital radio IP gateway / hotspot which allows connectivity to D-Star, DMR, and C4FM digital voice networks. This device is completely standalone and requires no external PC hardware to operate.
More info: http://www.sharkrf.com/products/openspot/

You can write your own review of the SharkRF OpenSPOT.

N0WTS Rating: 5/5 Sep 8, 2017 13:03 Send this review to a friend
Awesome  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have been using my OpenSpot know for about 3 weeks and love it. I only use it for DMR. I have a TYT MD2017 and use the OpenSpot two ways. The first way is, I plug it in my ethernet at home and turn on the radio. I have not experienced and dropped packets and it works quite well. The second way I use it is, I created a go box. This box has a GL-AR-150 WISP installed. It is plugged into the Hot spot via ethernet connections. I then connect the WISP controller to the hotspot on my phone. All items are plugged into a small battery pack and bam I have DMR wherever I go. Works great!! I have it on all of the time and only use about 1 gig of data a month. Great little item. It is really easy to set it up IF YOU follow the instructions on the SharkRF website.

N4JAP Rating: 5/5 Aug 11, 2017 14:30 Send this review to a friend
Simply awesome  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
SharkRF is amazingly simple to set up, especially for DStar. I use the DR function to engage and use reflectors from the radio. You do NOT have to key an "unlink" command to change reflectors, just key up with "Link to reflector ---" and it goes right to where you want to go. Along with control from the radio, you can also use the web portal or a smartphone to change reflectors. Remember, like with other access points you must wait until there is a break in a QSO transmission before you change reflectors.
I also use a DVAP, and the nice thing about the SharkRF is you don't need a computer or Raspberry Pi.. it is all self contained. Plus, there are no convoluted processes to make it work like on a Raspberry Pi, which I found needed to be constantly rebooted.
The Shark RF can also be left alone and powered up all the time, never gets hot and it just works reliably.

N9KO Rating: 2/5 Aug 11, 2017 12:58 Send this review to a friend
OK for DMR - A waster for Dstar  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have used the Openspot for 4 months with my DMR radio and it works well. I have used my red DVAPdongle for Dstar for several years. I decided to try Dstar with the Openspot. I loaded memories into my radio per the Sharkrf forum suggestions. I could not change reflectors from the HT, as it would only disconnect and then no other commands from the HT would be accepted.

I do not want to sit in front of a PC to change reflectors. If I did, there are other devices that do that for half the price.

W2MB Rating: 5/5 Aug 2, 2017 06:34 Send this review to a friend
Works Flawlessly  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This device is an example of great engineering from both the hardware and software perspective. Nothing but power and an Ethernet connection is required. Once configured, it just works. One caution: make sure to set it up to operate on an appropriate frequency, by default it is set to operate in the satellite sub-band.

N1GMV Rating: 5/5 Jun 25, 2017 06:35 Send this review to a friend
Works great!!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
This unit works great with my CS580 DMR handheld.

I can get into talkgroups with ease, coverage is about 1/8 mile. With my CS580 handheld I can simply key in any talkgroup I want or can use designated programmed channels or from the OpenSpot I can using a web browser and select a talkgroup or clear a TG. Can do cross mode links etc. Upgrades are simple and setup couldn't be easier!

W4HRC Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2017 09:53 Send this review to a friend
It works great!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I received a replacement for my defective unit and it works as it should. I guess there is an occasional bad apple in every bunch. I have upgraded the firmware on this one twice without any problem. The service with Grapevive Amateur Radio was excellent and I highly recommend them and the Shark Open Spot to my fellow hams.

W2MB Rating: 5/5 May 23, 2017 06:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Product  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I use this device exclusively with DMR. I found it easy to setup, the user interface to be polished and it to simply work very well. Bought mine from Ham Radio Outlet in New Hampshire.

W4HRC Rating: 1/5 Apr 8, 2017 09:36 Send this review to a friend
Not happy!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I receive my Shark Open Spot that I had ordered 3 weeks ago last Wednesday. So far I have had no luck at getting it setup where I can use it. It has firmware 1.1 on it and I have tried to upgrade to the latest firmware using both Windows 10 and 7 and the bootloader files come up, but there is no flash drive seen on the drive list like the instructions say. I used a ink pen and plugged in the USB cable while holding in the reset button. This also did not work and afterwards I heard a rattle inside the case. I removed the case and found that the reset apparatus had came loose from the connection on the circuit board (what a very cheap, flimsy and poorly designed reset device this is). They are lots of these on the air and the seem to work great, but for over $200.00 you would expect a better built, quality product at this price. It's going back to the seller for repair or replacement.

KC4ZGK Rating: 5/5 Mar 10, 2017 13:43 Send this review to a friend
Made D-Star relevant again  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Have a D-Star radio but no repeater? This device is awesome, just plug the CAT 5 cable into your router, a quick set up on a computer or mobile device and your good to go. Great product!

N0FIB Rating: 5/5 Mar 8, 2017 20:21 Send this review to a friend
works great   Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I have 2 Openspots one set to dStar one set to C4FM i use Windows 10 to set them up one was Dell one was Toshiba and no problems
then have been running for one 2 months the other for 3 days for just got it
I have had no hangs up no lost of program no locks and have to reboot like the 2 DV4MINI i have and i do a reveiw of them later.

Gary N0FIB No Fib