Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosely TA-33 Jr Help

Reviews Summary for Mosely TA-33 Jr
Mosely TA-33 Jr Reviews: 26 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$300.00
Description: 3 band 3 element yagi for 10,15, and 20 meters. Rated for 1200W PEP or 500W CW. Can be upgraded for higher power and three additional bands (12, 17, 30 or 40M)
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com

You can write your own review of the Mosely TA-33 Jr.

AE6JN Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2008 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TA-33JR is a great antenna for me with my limited space. I consistently get big signal reports from DXers worldwide. It tunes up flat on all bands with no external tuner. I've had this antenna in place for about three years now with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Highly recommended.

K1KAA Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2008 09:57 Send this review to a friend
not perfect, but very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Survives most of the New England WX here. The element chocks that insulate from the boom and keep them from spinning could be improved (we've found them in the yard before). The little holes in the traps collect water if you put the antenna together wrong, also (so head's up).

The one here has been in the air for almost six (??) years now, and it needs some regular maintenance (straighten out the wind-beaten elements, new feed), but other than that has held up just fine.

PA2DB Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2008 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Good antenne  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all,

I have this antenne now for 3 months. I bought him brand new.

Without a balun it didnt work good at my location.

After a month or so i put a 1to1 balun at the dipole and change the elements in the CW-connection (longer). Now it is working fantastic with a good swr in the SSB part.

10 and 15mtrs 1-1-1 / 20Mtr 1-1-4.

The antenne is just 2.5mtr above the roof from 10mtr high.

Work nice DX and i am verry satisfied.

73's Marcus PA2DB

K5DDJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2008 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Over 40 yrs of service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased in 1966, the only HF beam I've ever owned is still performing like new after over forty years of service. It has survived the collapse of a 40 ft. tower, three years in storage under a friends house, and forty years exposed to the hot Texas sun. It has always served me well, even when the reflector fell off due to a harware failure (my fault) and became a "two element beam" for a while. Having been used at power levels from QRPp to a KW PEP I've never had it let me down. Many radios have come and gone over the years but my old TA-33Jr has, so far, out lived them all.

ZL3NB Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2007 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Still a good performer 33 years on.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally purchased my TA33jr back in 1974 after being discharged from the Navy. Didnt have alot of room for antenna's on a Philadelphia Rowhouse Roof so the Junior was a idea choice and kept it when we moved out into the suburbs despite more space. There was no need to change!

The antenna was not only a great performer but a real survivor to the harsh Pennsylvania winters and of course the summer thunderstorm season and wind.

In 1986 after a move to New Zealand the Little Mosely was stored away for 14 years and latter put back into service in 2000 at our present QTH. We are located only 2 blocks from the Ocean and are subjected to some pretty strong wind at times and of course salt air corrorsion but the antenna has once again lived up its name for quality and performance.

In December of 2006 I replaced the old 1974 "300W" traps (they used different plastic for the formers then since nothing else was invented yet that was better according to Mosley..Hi) with the newer 500W (1KW PEP) traps since I brought a Amp and completely refurbed the U bolts etc and screws. It is like brand new and operates the same.......

Have worked DXCC on 20 through 10 in W3 Land from two locations and now as a ZL3 with the same antenna....

Simply put "An Amazing Antenna" and yes they still do make them.

73 de Bill ZL3NB

VE9VIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2006 07:24 Send this review to a friend
good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna for the last 6 years,
been through very high wind here 90 km (55 mh)
freezing rain ,the last time there was about
half an inch of ice on the antenna ,the elements
were like a bow,for almost two weeks before
the temperature rise and the ice melted,for a while I tough the antenna would be like that
forever but no it came back to normal,congrat
mosley .

KE4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2005 14:42 Send this review to a friend
"AMAZED"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this LITTLE powerhouse up a couple of days but it deserves PRAISE!The beam was GIVEN too me by the widow of a local SK & the antenna EXCEEDS every hope I had in ANY HF beam.All I did was clean the traps(laying on ground 2 years)and reassemble the beam and add the 2 in mast adapter kit. It plays HARDBALL with just 100 watts from my ICOM 756 PROII and at ONLY 50 ft. I have found ZERO stations I could NOT work & have only called any station more than once 2 times & it took ONLY 2 calls for each of them! I will be upgrading too a NEW Pro-67 in about 3 years when I build my retirement home for my wife & I.I can hardly wait for the GREAT reports on it as well.This beam is truely AMAZING and is worth EVERY penny it cost NEw or USED!This one is over 15 years old and still going strong! No wonder MOSLEY has been in business over 60 YEARS!73's & God bless,ClaytonKE4KVW

KM5VI Rating: 5/5 Nov 11, 2004 08:27 Send this review to a friend
Great field antenna!  Time owned: more than 12 months
This antenna is a lightened version of the TA-33. I purchased mine new about 5 years ago and it has been a consistent performer over that time period. The antenna is used primarily for field contesting and sometimes as a second antenna at the home QTH. It is comparatively light weight (about 20 lbs) and assembles/disassembles very quickly with a minimum number of tools. It can be supported easily from a steel push-up pole and turned using a TV grade rotator or "armstrong" (grin) rotor. Performance is slightly less than a full size tribander and in most cases the difference is negligible.

The Mosley traps are easily serviceable for clean-up and I have experienced no problems with mine to date. Beware of the power limits of the traps. A ham friend with the same antenna trashed his trying to run too much power using RTTY... post-mortem revealed the coil forms failed from arc penetration. He subsequently upgraded the traps on his driven element with the full size Mosley versions.

I have reworked some older versions of this antenna and they seem to hold up well. UV will eventually start to degrade the rubber trap caps as well as the plastic spacers and standoffs however replacements are available from Mosley. Other advice... keep the telescoping parts lubed with anti-ox compound and don't over tighten the fasteners.

G4RRA Rating: 5/5 Oct 7, 2004 12:38 Send this review to a friend
Great Antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
What a great little antenna.I got mine from a friend.His father was licenced,and had passed away,he was disposing of the radio equipment,and found this antenna in the garage.I had no problems assembling the antenna,its compact,and it seems to perform really well.For its size it really can be recommended ,I dont know how old this one is,but its got to be at least 20years old,it worked first time!

W9RJF Rating: 5/5 Oct 2, 2004 06:19 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding beam antenna!  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I purchased the TA-33-Jr in June and installed it on a 48-foot TV tower with a Yaesu G-450A rotor. I used a 5-foot piece of 1 ˝-inch aluminum schedule-40 pipe for the mast and 100 foot of PE-type rotor cable. You won’t believe how easy it went together! Parts were color-coded and used only a couple small screws and several SS U-bolts.

Since this is my first beam antenna, I can only compare it to a G5RV and a MA5V vertical antenna. The 20-meter band was completely down the day I installed it and I heard nothing on both the vertical and dipole. I turned the beam southwest and had a 5-9 signal to FO! My usual S3 reports on the other antennas are S9 on the beam. I usually get through DX pileups on the first or second call with this beam using just 100 watts. I am extremely happy with Mosley.

I was surprised to see the other reviews were almost 3 years old and wasn’t even sure Mosley was still making them. I looked for an ad and couldn’t find one in any of the ham magazines. So I called Mosley and talk to them for almost 45 minutes and went ahead and ordered one. It did take three weeks, as they are extremely busy with their military antenna orders. Nevertheless, it was well worth the wait and the money. I recommend this antenna and give it a 5!