Reviews Categories | Antennas: HF: Yagi, Quad, Rotary dipole, LPDA | Mosely TA-33 Jr Help

Reviews Summary for Mosely TA-33 Jr
Mosely TA-33 Jr Reviews: 29 Average rating: 4.9/5 MSRP: $$300.00
Description: 3 band 3 element yagi for 10,15, and 20 meters. Rated for 1200W PEP or 500W CW. Can be upgraded for higher power and three additional bands (12, 17, 30 or 40M)
More info: http://www.mosley-electronics.com

You can write your own review of the Mosely TA-33 Jr.

VK6HZ Rating: 5/5 Nov 18, 2008 19:37 Send this review to a friend
Best small beam...ever!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I purchased the TA-33jr with the addition of the 17/12 driven element and couldnt be happier!

It was worth the 6 week wait, and every cent I paid for it.

As I live in the inner city, my block is not very wide, and I had to take into consideration the local shire planning rules that dont allow antenna masts higher than 5m!

So the beam is sitting at 7mts and works a treat. Since its installation in late March 2008, I have worked around 120 countries. If I can hear them, I have a pretty good chance of working them

And having an antenna on 12 and 17 has opened up 2 new bands. Several evenings ago (November 2008) I worked MW0VVZ on 15. Steve suggested we try 12M....I was sceptical, but managed a respectable 5/5 both ways. After we worked, I logged several other EU stations as well.

Great antenna. Works better and looks better than one of the "other jr" antennas that has been around for a while! No sag, no droop....quality designed and built. SWR as per the spec on all bands!

Thanks Mosley for a great antenna!

John
de vk6hz

W9AC Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2008 17:45 Send this review to a friend
My First Multiband Yagi  Time owned: more than 12 months
I'll admit this review is based more on sentimental value than it is on factual performance.

I purchased a TA-33jr back in 1973 after earning enough money from a job delivering papers on a paper route. As I recall, it sold for just under $100 at that time. At $20 per month for the route money, I worked about six months for it.

When I look back, construction quality was quite good and it had survived at least a decade of harsh winters in the Midwest. At some point during its life-cycle, I burned the driven element traps when I had upgraded to a general-class license and received a Heathkit SB-230 amplifier as a gift.

Thinking that the TA-33jr would handle about 500-watts, I quickly burned up the traps. The good news was that Mosely had just developed an upgrade for the driven element and re-named that antenna the TA-33MP. The reflector and director were sized for the TA-33jr, but now the driven element was beefier. The upgraded antenna handled everything the SB-230 could muster.

I finally bid farewell to the TA-33 and sold it to help finance my college tuition. I still miss that antenna.

KG5W Rating: 5/5 Jul 30, 2008 15:43 Send this review to a friend
Hurricane tested!!  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have owned a Mosley TA-33 Jr since 1996. I bought the antenna second-hand and have it set up at about 42 feet above ground on a Rohn 25 tower. The antenna has survived norther wind in South Texas, thunderstorms, hail, and just recently,Hurricane Dolly. I lost a mesquite tree with a girth of 72 inches around that broke from the 110 mile per hour winds. I was very concerned about the Mosley on the tower. After the hurricane subsided, I went outside and saw the antenna had held up and stood perfectly at attention as if saying "all present and accounted for!" I was without power for five days but when power was restored, I turned on my radio and worked several stations with nary a flitch. If anyone every questions that "they don't make them like they used to", I beg to differ. You can keep all these antennas with motors, adjustments, etc. This antenna is a breeze to set up and stays in place even during a hurricane. If I ever have to buy another yagi, Mosley has my business. I highly recommend this antenna to anyone, bar none!! I have worked 297 contries with it on SSB-CW, WAS on four bands, and ragchew with friends locally and never had any antenna problems. Made in USA and hurricane proven!

AE6JN Rating: 5/5 Apr 28, 2008 16:48 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding!  Time owned: more than 12 months
The TA-33JR is a great antenna for me with my limited space. I consistently get big signal reports from DXers worldwide. It tunes up flat on all bands with no external tuner. I've had this antenna in place for about three years now with absolutely no problems whatsoever. Highly recommended.

K1KAA Rating: 4/5 Apr 12, 2008 09:57 Send this review to a friend
not perfect, but very good  Time owned: more than 12 months
Survives most of the New England WX here. The element chocks that insulate from the boom and keep them from spinning could be improved (we've found them in the yard before). The little holes in the traps collect water if you put the antenna together wrong, also (so head's up).

The one here has been in the air for almost six (??) years now, and it needs some regular maintenance (straighten out the wind-beaten elements, new feed), but other than that has held up just fine.

PA2DB Rating: 5/5 Feb 26, 2008 02:33 Send this review to a friend
Good antenne  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Hi all,

I have this antenne now for 3 months. I bought him brand new.

Without a balun it didnt work good at my location.

After a month or so i put a 1to1 balun at the dipole and change the elements in the CW-connection (longer). Now it is working fantastic with a good swr in the SSB part.

10 and 15mtrs 1-1-1 / 20Mtr 1-1-4.

The antenne is just 2.5mtr above the roof from 10mtr high.

Work nice DX and i am verry satisfied.

73's Marcus PA2DB

K5DDJ Rating: 5/5 Feb 17, 2008 09:35 Send this review to a friend
Over 40 yrs of service!  Time owned: more than 12 months
Purchased in 1966, the only HF beam I've ever owned is still performing like new after over forty years of service. It has survived the collapse of a 40 ft. tower, three years in storage under a friends house, and forty years exposed to the hot Texas sun. It has always served me well, even when the reflector fell off due to a harware failure (my fault) and became a "two element beam" for a while. Having been used at power levels from QRPp to a KW PEP I've never had it let me down. Many radios have come and gone over the years but my old TA-33Jr has, so far, out lived them all.

ZL3NB Rating: 5/5 Mar 17, 2007 14:34 Send this review to a friend
Still a good performer 33 years on.  Time owned: more than 12 months
I originally purchased my TA33jr back in 1974 after being discharged from the Navy. Didnt have alot of room for antenna's on a Philadelphia Rowhouse Roof so the Junior was a idea choice and kept it when we moved out into the suburbs despite more space. There was no need to change!

The antenna was not only a great performer but a real survivor to the harsh Pennsylvania winters and of course the summer thunderstorm season and wind.

In 1986 after a move to New Zealand the Little Mosely was stored away for 14 years and latter put back into service in 2000 at our present QTH. We are located only 2 blocks from the Ocean and are subjected to some pretty strong wind at times and of course salt air corrorsion but the antenna has once again lived up its name for quality and performance.

In December of 2006 I replaced the old 1974 "300W" traps (they used different plastic for the formers then since nothing else was invented yet that was better according to Mosley..Hi) with the newer 500W (1KW PEP) traps since I brought a Amp and completely refurbed the U bolts etc and screws. It is like brand new and operates the same.......

Have worked DXCC on 20 through 10 in W3 Land from two locations and now as a ZL3 with the same antenna....

Simply put "An Amazing Antenna" and yes they still do make them.

73 de Bill ZL3NB

VE9VIC Rating: 5/5 Feb 21, 2006 07:24 Send this review to a friend
good antenna  Time owned: more than 12 months
I have this antenna for the last 6 years,
been through very high wind here 90 km (55 mh)
freezing rain ,the last time there was about
half an inch of ice on the antenna ,the elements
were like a bow,for almost two weeks before
the temperature rise and the ice melted,for a while I tough the antenna would be like that
forever but no it came back to normal,congrat
mosley .

KE4KVW Rating: 5/5 May 4, 2005 14:42 Send this review to a friend
"AMAZED"  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have only had this LITTLE powerhouse up a couple of days but it deserves PRAISE!The beam was GIVEN too me by the widow of a local SK & the antenna EXCEEDS every hope I had in ANY HF beam.All I did was clean the traps(laying on ground 2 years)and reassemble the beam and add the 2 in mast adapter kit. It plays HARDBALL with just 100 watts from my ICOM 756 PROII and at ONLY 50 ft. I have found ZERO stations I could NOT work & have only called any station more than once 2 times & it took ONLY 2 calls for each of them! I will be upgrading too a NEW Pro-67 in about 3 years when I build my retirement home for my wife & I.I can hardly wait for the GREAT reports on it as well.This beam is truely AMAZING and is worth EVERY penny it cost NEw or USED!This one is over 15 years old and still going strong! No wonder MOSLEY has been in business over 60 YEARS!73's & God bless,ClaytonKE4KVW