Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-891 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-891
Yaesu FT-891 Reviews: 52 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $889.95
Description: The FT-891 HF All Mode Mobile Transceiver once again continues Yaesu's legacy for legendary receiver design in a compact package, providing uncompromised performance for both the mobile and stationary Amateur operator. High end 32-Bit floating point DSP enhances the operating experience providing a cleaner, clearer signal and reducing overall operator fatigue creating a more enjoyable environment for any Amateur operator.
More info: http://www.hamradio.com/documents/FT-891%20Brochure.pdf

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-891.

AB9TX Rating: 5/5 Oct 30, 2017 13:38 Send this review to a friend
Outstanding Mobile Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Great value, thank you Yaesu. As a mobile rig as designed I am having a ball with it. Teamed up with the Atas-120a a very stealthy hf multiband antenna and what you have 6 to 40 meters on the fly. I have been given unsolicited good audio reports with the stock dynamic hand microphone supplied.
Updating the firmware was fairly challenging, you will need excellent computer skills. First installing the USB drivers, reboot - then find the EXE installer for your operating system- install, reboot- connect rig- power on while holding three different buttons- you get the idea..
Anyhow it has great audio on receive. The DSP is a little aggressive with 1 tbrough 10 settings. I use setting level 1 and has quite a bit watery digital distortion, but cuts the noise very well.
Untill ICOM comes out with the IC-7010 this will be my mobile rig.

Earl
AB9TX

F6DFY Rating: 4/5 Oct 27, 2017 09:08 Send this review to a friend
Nice little Rig  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
For 650 Euros, he does the job.
Good sensitivity, good DSP, excellent talk power.
Too bad that Yaesu always delivers the microphone MH31 which is the worst hand microphone
Replaced by an electret (HM 219 ICOM modified for YAESU), after a few adjustments, you will get an excellent punchy modulation.
Yaesu should update to memorize the bandwidth used and other settings for each band.
After that, you have the best quality / price ratio of the market

KH6VP Rating: 2/5 Oct 12, 2017 08:04 Send this review to a friend
Good but with a major flaw  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I looked forward in getting this Yaesu 891, because it is small and would fit great in my Lexus as my HF radio.

I played a little with it in the shack and I like the fact that it is powerful, has small foot print and is modern; like it was designed by iPhone programmers, pop-ups et al..

What I don't like is a major flaw however and must be fixed:

There is only choice in SSB, not USB or LSB. This means that if you set initial setting to USB, EVERYTHING becomes USB and you can not choose LSB. If you have VFO A set to USB on the 40m band, say for MARS or for utility listening, and want to QSO in LSB in VFO B, you can't, unless you change the initial to AUTO in which case it overrides your VFO settings and your VFO A becomes LSB as well.

The radio has no way to select LSB or USB, unless you force it with initial settings and then it changes your VFO settings!

In 2017 this is not acceptable and shows that Yaesu really doesn't care about users. It would have been a simple change to select USB and LSB.

Just for this reason it is useless to me and MARS or other operators everywhere. There is a growing number of radio hams who only do USB (to have QSO's with people using military, commercial or marine radios that mainly have USB) but not all.

I would have liked to say more good stuff about the 891, but I stopped my analysis of the radio and am waiting for a Yaesu firmware update.

VA3VU Rating: 5/5 Oct 8, 2017 05:39 Send this review to a friend
Good Overall  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
Great portable radio, and lots of punch on transmit. For the price, it is well worth it. Band and mode changing are a bit awkward...do not try it while driving. It is too bad you could not use the multi dial for band changes. The display is really nice for my older tired eyes. The rig is solid and comes with a 3 year warranty. Check with Yaesu's website periodically for firmware updates. I have done 2 so far. I am rating it a 5, as we must compare it to other radios in that class and price range and not an FT DX 3000.

AC5S Rating: 5/5 Oct 6, 2017 09:48 Send this review to a friend
Excellent Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Picked up an FT-891 from HRO Denver a few weeks ago during their Heil promotion. Nice little rig!! First of all the menu structure is extremely easy to operate. Without reading the manual you can navigate to nearly all required settings. The "block" diagram type of navigation for radio settings is unique to any other radio I have used and is clearly set up for Hams using this radio in a mobile setting, but works equally as well for portable or fixed base use. I bought this radio for portable camping ops and the size and simplicity are a must for this type of use. One thing you don't want for portable operation is a complex requirement to get on the air fast and with the 891 you just apply DC power, adjust RF power output if needed, and talk. The DSP is very good and again very easy to use. The receiver is very close to a Kenwood 590S, maybe better in some ways. For CW users, the CW menu is the first menu position on the "F" button followed by the two "block" menu screens. Changing bands is also easy by pushing the "Band" button on the top of the rig and then rotating the main dial to get to whatever band you want; super fast and very easy for mobile operation. I have read some complaints about the difficulty in changes operating modes (USB/LSB) but who does that? For my use if I'm on 20 meters I'm on USB and if I'm on 80 meters I'm on LSB, so I just leave the "Auto" setting on. One really nice feature is the ability to operate down to 5 watts if desired. For camping ops I always use the lowest power needed for the contact because I am on battery power so being able to get down to 5 or 10 watts is nice but still have the ability to raise the power if needed. This has always been my biggest headache about true QRP rigs; sometime you just need more power. I just sold my KX2 because of this. Some have mentioned the receive current draw which I will confirm: about .9 amps at mid volume level. No tuner; no problem. A nice little LDG tuner with the interface cable works like a champ. Having owned a 817 and 857 I really like the larger and sharper display; easy to see with my older eyes. By the way, the receiver of the 891 is far superior to the 817/857 era of radios. Yaesu stepped up with the internal speaker as well. The speaker is loud when needed, with no distortion and has overall good fidelity. For me no internal sound card is no problem because I don't do digital while portable, but if that is an issue I suggest the IC-7100. Lastly the price: $579 and with the HRO Heil promotion. Got the radio (with three year Yaesu warranty) along with the Heil HM-12 mic and cable ($100 value). Not sure where you can get a fully capable, recent design HF rig for under $600 anyplace else. One other note on base station operation. I have also been using the 891 at the main base position and find it to be very good. While it is a little small for this type of use, it would work very well if a Ham has a small operating desk or position. Also build quality is excellent. 73!!

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2017 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Best Yaesu Moblle in Years  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK... let me say that I've had the FT-857D, Kenwood TS-480SAT, IC-7000 and maybe a few others in the various vehicles I've had over the past 5 years... I strongly consider myself an ICOM guy... but let me say that this 891 is one of the easiest to install (use magnet bases for the head), easiest to configure, easiest to operate HF mobile stations that I've ever worked with, and that's after more than 15 years of HF Mobile. Sure I wish it had 2M and 440M like the 857D... perhaps the next version will? But for now, HF mobile or HF base, this is one of the easiest to set up, easiest to operate, and most fun to use radios on today's market... greatly reduced prices too.. check the various on-line dealers! de KK8ZZ

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2017 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic for mobile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I replaced all four of my mobile radios with the FT-891. I had been running a Icom 706MIIG, FT-857D, TS-480HX in the vehicles. When we bought the Ford Fusion I ordered a FT-891 for it. Signal reports were great, and I was hearing better with the FT-891 than with any other radio. At $579 it was a easy decision to make to replace the other three.

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2017 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Sweet as a nut.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always been a big fan of Yaesu products over the years and once again they have produced another gem.Well built and easy to use and perfect for mobile,portable,or base use.I have nothing but praise for it.Dont take my word for it just get your hands on one.Its another classic from the stable that gave us the the iconic FT817 and others.Built to last,designed to enjoy.

M6NAE Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2017 05:41 Send this review to a friend
YAESU FT-891. GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the ft897d and ft857d..
the yaesu ft891 wins hands down. the audio is second to none. the dsp is far better than the 897 or 857..the bonus is the auto notch, dsp.contour filter, shift, and 3khz roofing filter..yes i know it does not have 144mhz and 430mhz..but for 599.99..this is a great radio to own..portable or base
there's nothing on the market that can even come close to this radio for the price.
i have had good audio reports on tx..
and i can connect my ldg z100 plus atu to the 891 using the ldg y-acc cable..by changing menu 16-15 (Tuner Select) to LAMP.in the radios menu
the radio has had a firmware update on the 17/09/17. which includes the 5 megs uk band.
and a dsp update..
i have read all the negative comments about this radio...but i havent got any negative points about this radio...
it's a good solid radio that works well...
go and try one...

7.3 neil M6NAE

KA5CAV Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2017 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the FT-450 and the FT-450D, the FT-891 is a much better radio. The receiver is excellent, and it is a very feature rich radio for the price. I use DXLAB Commander for computer control and this rig is very easy to operate from my laptop. Because of my hearing loss I mainly work CW, with my FT-450 and FT-450D I had a very hard time understanding weaker stations using SSB, things have changed with the FT-891 as I can now clean up a weak signal and understand the voice well. Is this a top of the line 5000.00 radio (NO), is it a 579.00 radio that performs well (YES).

I give it 5 stars because of the price, features, and performance. The only Con I have found with the rig: it is not responding to CAT command SH which is used to change the filter bandwidth. I send the command to the rig and the rig sends back a ? I have contacted Yaesu about this issue and I am sure they will address it in the next firmware upgrade.