Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-891 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-891
Yaesu FT-891 Reviews: 27 Average rating: 4.3/5 MSRP: $889.95
Description: The FT-891 HF All Mode Mobile Transceiver once again continues Yaesu's legacy for legendary receiver design in a compact package, providing uncompromised performance for both the mobile and stationary Amateur operator. High end 32-Bit floating point DSP enhances the operating experience providing a cleaner, clearer signal and reducing overall operator fatigue creating a more enjoyable environment for any Amateur operator.
More info: http://www.hamradio.com/documents/FT-891%20Brochure.pdf

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-891.

OE3JTB Rating: 5/5 Apr 17, 2017 02:36 Send this review to a friend
For mobile purpose and fieldday/camping its verygood  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I started with my mobile operation in the middle of the 0 years with a IC-7000, which was a nice rig. 2015 I decided to sell it and look for another one.
My purpose is do ham radio operation on holidays and some mobile operation out of my city QTH, due to distortion
So the rig should have a small form factor, VHF/UHF is not in the focus, using SSB and CW.
AFter a short period with a FT-991 and an IC-7300 (to big) I occasionally got a used FT-891.

I read about the FT-891, but even at Yahoo groups there are not so much members, so in my opinion, there is not a big community now :-).

First I took it to my shack, compared it with my K3S, so I recognized the differences.
RX in practice is well, also on a middle sized beam.
Modulation with the original mike is also well after you have done the right setup (1hour work)

CW RX is very good eventhe smallest filter setting is not producing artifacts (my FT-2000 does)

TX out is between 92 and 108 watts with 13.6 V at 12.6 V around 75 and 85 watts, so If you want to get full output use a step up converter in mobile operation. (Voltmeter is on the display)
Standby power consumation is not over 1 Ampere.
The fans are working quiet and reliablbe.

For Yaesu users the menu is well known, you can customize 3 quick bottons, which doesnt depend on the selected mode.

If you expect internal sound card (which was advertised at the coming out from some dealers) you will be disappointed, CAT interface is working fine.

For mobile operation I am using a ATAS 120A on the roof of my camping car, and thats the domain of the FT-891, with this combo you can work from 40-10m band. Tuning is done quickly.
the internal loudspeaker is ok, headphones are better.
For 80m I used a simple longwire, for tuning a little MFJ does a good job.

The DSP and filter posibilties are working very good, the display contrast is readable even in the sun.

Conclusion:
Do not expect a fine rig for big yagis, contest and digital operation :-) but if you need a small modern portable HF rig to take with you even by plane the FT-891 should be your choice, even the price is moderate.

K6AJY Rating: 5/5 Apr 10, 2017 22:55 Send this review to a friend
k6ajy good rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I just got it at HRO an I will be using it I like it but I will buying the tuner for it and Feld Day to.

WB5YEY Rating: 5/5 Mar 28, 2017 05:46 Send this review to a friend
Nice Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
A nice radio for the size and cost... it's always a trade-off considering these two but the 891 seems to provide a nice balance. There are always little features that I'd like to personalize, but overall, very nice.
I do hope Yaesu provides updates and programming improvements taking into account user preferences.

KO4CH Rating: 5/5 Mar 26, 2017 11:11 Send this review to a friend
Hard to beat for the price  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Having owned over 100 radios since 1961, I can truly say that this radio is a huge bang for the buck.I have owned the Yaesu FT950, the MKV Field and the FT 1200., as well as the FT857D and FT450D, so I think I am capable in sharing my thoughts on this little Jewell.
This radio is menu driven as expected in a small box, but easy to maneuver even for this 79 year old ham.
It has many of the features of the 950 and 1200 including a parametric audio equalizer, many features for the receive adjustments and a real time scope,scans 250KC in less than a second, A killer auto notch filter and a manual notch as well.Transmitted recorded audio for those that contest. Many other features that you can look up on the Yaesu web site. Best of all it's only $699.00 at most dealers at present. Add HRD and run most all the menu controls with a click of your mouse, such as power,width control,shift and so on.
Try one out for yourself. You won't be disappointed.
73 and Happy Hamming.
Jerry

KD2JVX Rating: 4/5 Mar 21, 2017 12:43 Send this review to a friend
volt meter  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
One significant issue is that there is no option for a persistent volt meter. Obviously the unit is designed for portable use. It is critical to constantly monitor battery level especially when operating at a 100w. So the the need to see a little voltage indicator on the screen is highly desirable. The voltage comes up briefly when you turn the unit on and off which is useless for field operations. I hope Yaesu can correct this in a firmware update.

KK1VT Rating: 5/5 Mar 12, 2017 07:58 Send this review to a friend
Very Pleased with the Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased the 891 to replace my 817 for mobile/portable operating. While the VHF/UHF frequencies were a big plus for the 817, the 5 watt output was very limiting for HF. The small physical size is impressive considering the features that are built into this radio. I also operate an FT-1200 so some comments will be based using this radio as well.

Due to its small size the 891 is very “menu driven”. If you have operated a Yaesu radio built in the last ten years or so the menu structure will be intuitive. The radio includes an Operating Manual that describes the basic usage of the radio. Unfortunately, the Advanced Manual (absolutely required for initial familiarization and set up) is only available as a PDF download from the Yaesu website. I am having it printed and bound at my local Staples office supply store.

The operating features built into this radio are absolutely amazing given the size. I won’t list them here but if you are considering purchasing the radio I suggest you download the manuals from the website for detailed info. While the audio from the built in speaker is acceptable, using an external speaker provides excellent audio quality. I use small unamplified patio speakers in the shack and the audio quality is great. While the microphone connection is behind the removable front panel, it is possible to swap Yaesu mics at the microphone connector making it easy to change between the MH-31 hand mic and the MD-100 desk mic. Power output can be adjusted down to 5 watts with the power consumption at 5 amps. The LCD color is light blue only. Contrast is adjustable and the display is easy to read. The various filtering options work very well and are easy to access via the function screens. I have spent time casual SWLing and the receiver and filters make it pleasure.

As others have said, there is some room for improvement in the menu and operating structure but I think they are minor issues. As there is a USB port on the back panel I assume it will be relatively easy to perform firmware upgrades as they become available. I believe Yaesu has designed a very nice, compact, feature rich transceiver that will be at home mobile, at camp, as well as in the shack. At a current price of $700.00 from HRO (March 2017) the bang for the buck is amazing.

IT9AHH Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2017 10:25 Send this review to a friend
i did not believe!!!!  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I'm only cw operator.I was in the market for a only hf rig....Icom...Kenwood...Yaesu??..which one to choose?? My eyes fell on this rig and....bingo!! A real cw machine! No ringing no dsp artifacts no fatigue listening on low bands.
Vy good display clear and immediate. Vy good receiver quiet sensitive and vy good selectivity. Zero beat led in front panel, real time wswr and power output readings as well as a moltitude of usefull running indications. So..well done yaesu vy fb only hf rig.
We'll see if it will survive the next serious CW contest...although I think so!!!

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Mar 3, 2017 01:50 Send this review to a friend
Very versatile  Time owned: 3 to 6 months
I like this compact 160m - 6m HF radio.
I use the Yaesu SCU-17 interface unit which has the codec sound card, for the digital modes.
Works great with wsjt-x jt9, j65 and wspr etc.
CW and SSB work great.
Rob

K0MTN Rating: 5/5 Mar 2, 2017 14:32 Send this review to a friend
Great 100W HF/6M Portable Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I've had the FT-891 for about 2 months, and here are my impressions.

The FT-891 is a great little HF/6M, 100W, portable radio. Its small size is easy to transport. The LCD display is easy to read in bright light environments. I like that the A/B/C buttons on the front can be assigned different functions for quick access. I find the memory group function to be a useful feature for organizing settings/frequencies for nets, digital, SSB, ... Due to the small size, this radio is heavily menu dependent, but I find the menus easy to navigate. The DSP, noise reduction, and variable bandpass features provide many ways to help deal with urban QRM and weak signal.

I bought the FT-891 to have a portable 100W radio to use for hiking and camping. I haven't yet been camping, but I have taken it hiking. With a 9Ah LiFePO battery, folding multiband vertical antenna, and small antenna tuner, I've made SSB and PSK31 contacts, with good reports.

The receiver and noise reduction is so good, it has replaced my FT-450D at my QTH. The FT-891 is currently selling for about $700 which is less than I paid for a used FT-450D 6 years ago.

As others have noted, this radio does not have VHF/UHF. Nor does it has a built in audio interface (sound card). Also, as mentioned previously, the small size it is heavily menu dependent. It just doesn't have the room for a lot of buttons and dials. If those features are what somebody needs/wants in a radio, this isn't the one for you. So, don't buy this radio and then complain it doesn't have a feature that you want. Do your homework first...

I feel the FT-891 is a great value at the current retail price for a 100W, HF/6M, radio!

Sam

W8BYH Rating: 5/5 Feb 28, 2017 19:25 Send this review to a friend
A Great Radio For Its Intended Purpose  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is not a comprehensive review, but after a month of use I felt it would be useful to let the community know just how this radio is working.

Lets get the obvious out of the way right up front - it has no UHF/VHF side. It's HF only. I know there's been a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth on the internet over this 'shortcoming', but also keep in mind that this radio is retailing about $150 less than the beloved FT-857.

I don't own an 857 so I can't make a comparison between the two on HF performance. What I can say is the 891's digital signal processing and filtering is excellent.

Contrary to some reports the menu system is actually very easy to figure out and navigate. I passed on buying RT Systems programming software because the rig is easy to figure out and configure right from the front panel.

The band scope feature works very well, and I find myself doing regular band sweeps to find active frequencies. The display resolution is somewhat crude (it's a dot martix interface) and Yaesu could have gone with a better resolution display, but even with the low resolution display the band sweep function works great.

I paired my radio with the Yaesu FC-50 tuner and its a great combination. I've set one of the three programmable display buttons to trigger the tuner. The tuner does not require a separate power source - it's powered by the radio via the CAT cable, making for a neat setup. So far the tuner has handled everything I've hooked it up to - mostly verticals and end fed long wires - and it's tuned it all without a problem.

Are there gripes? Sure. The display resolution I've already discussed is one. Next, Yeasu seems to have envisioned this radio to be used either vehicle mobile or in a permanent shack setup. What they seemed to have ignored is people like me who like to use it 'park bench mobile' or dismounted mobile with the head separated from the radio body. What Yaesu or a third party needs to come up with is a decent tabletop stand for the remote head. Yaesu sells what looks like a flimsy metal stand along with their outrageously priced separation kit, but the remote head really cries out for something more robust. And last, Yaesu placed the microphone connection on the radio body, not on the remote head. This means the users may have some complicated decisions to make when remote installing the radio body in a vehicle.

So is the 891 a very good radio that's worth your consideration? Yes. Does it match the reputation of the much loved 857? I can't say - I'll leave that to you to decide.