Reviews Categories | Transceivers: HF Amateur HF+6M+VHF+UHF models - not QRP <5W | Yaesu FT-891 Help

Reviews Summary for Yaesu FT-891
Yaesu FT-891 Reviews: 57 Average rating: 4.5/5 MSRP: $889.95
Description: The FT-891 HF All Mode Mobile Transceiver once again continues Yaesu's legacy for legendary receiver design in a compact package, providing uncompromised performance for both the mobile and stationary Amateur operator. High end 32-Bit floating point DSP enhances the operating experience providing a cleaner, clearer signal and reducing overall operator fatigue creating a more enjoyable environment for any Amateur operator.
More info: http://www.hamradio.com/documents/FT-891%20Brochure.pdf

You can write your own review of the Yaesu FT-891.

KK8ZZ Rating: 5/5 Sep 19, 2017 11:08 Send this review to a friend
Best Yaesu Moblle in Years  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
OK... let me say that I've had the FT-857D, Kenwood TS-480SAT, IC-7000 and maybe a few others in the various vehicles I've had over the past 5 years... I strongly consider myself an ICOM guy... but let me say that this 891 is one of the easiest to install (use magnet bases for the head), easiest to configure, easiest to operate HF mobile stations that I've ever worked with, and that's after more than 15 years of HF Mobile. Sure I wish it had 2M and 440M like the 857D... perhaps the next version will? But for now, HF mobile or HF base, this is one of the easiest to set up, easiest to operate, and most fun to use radios on today's market... greatly reduced prices too.. check the various on-line dealers! de KK8ZZ

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Sep 18, 2017 18:40 Send this review to a friend
Fantastic for mobile  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I replaced all four of my mobile radios with the FT-891. I had been running a Icom 706MIIG, FT-857D, TS-480HX in the vehicles. When we bought the Ford Fusion I ordered a FT-891 for it. Signal reports were great, and I was hearing better with the FT-891 than with any other radio. At $579 it was a easy decision to make to replace the other three.

M0GNA Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2017 07:41 Send this review to a friend
Sweet as a nut.  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have always been a big fan of Yaesu products over the years and once again they have produced another gem.Well built and easy to use and perfect for mobile,portable,or base use.I have nothing but praise for it.Dont take my word for it just get your hands on one.Its another classic from the stable that gave us the the iconic FT817 and others.Built to last,designed to enjoy.

M6NAE Rating: 5/5 Sep 17, 2017 05:41 Send this review to a friend
YAESU FT-891. GREAT RADIO  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have had the ft897d and ft857d..
the yaesu ft891 wins hands down. the audio is second to none. the dsp is far better than the 897 or 857..the bonus is the auto notch, dsp.contour filter, shift, and 3khz roofing filter..yes i know it does not have 144mhz and 430mhz..but for 599.99..this is a great radio to own..portable or base
there's nothing on the market that can even come close to this radio for the price.
i have had good audio reports on tx..
and i can connect my ldg z100 plus atu to the 891 using the ldg y-acc cable..by changing menu 16-15 (Tuner Select) to LAMP.in the radios menu
the radio has had a firmware update on the 17/09/17. which includes the 5 megs uk band.
and a dsp update..
i have read all the negative comments about this radio...but i havent got any negative points about this radio...
it's a good solid radio that works well...
go and try one...

7.3 neil M6NAE

KA5CAV Rating: 5/5 Sep 14, 2017 04:46 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I have owned the FT-450 and the FT-450D, the FT-891 is a much better radio. The receiver is excellent, and it is a very feature rich radio for the price. I use DXLAB Commander for computer control and this rig is very easy to operate from my laptop. Because of my hearing loss I mainly work CW, with my FT-450 and FT-450D I had a very hard time understanding weaker stations using SSB, things have changed with the FT-891 as I can now clean up a weak signal and understand the voice well. Is this a top of the line 5000.00 radio (NO), is it a 579.00 radio that performs well (YES).

I give it 5 stars because of the price, features, and performance. The only Con I have found with the rig: it is not responding to CAT command SH which is used to change the filter bandwidth. I send the command to the rig and the rig sends back a ? I have contacted Yaesu about this issue and I am sure they will address it in the next firmware upgrade.

K4NBC Rating: 5/5 Sep 9, 2017 02:32 Send this review to a friend
Great compact hf radio  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I got the radio from I trade I made alone with the fc-50 automatic antenna tuner. Well, I set it up and immediately notice a difference on the rx audio quality and more and the pack features of the radio. The TX equalizer is a bit complex but after setting with help works super with a heil hm-12 microphone ... yaesu release an update recently adding the 5mhz and dnr improvements.

G3RCE Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2017 14:40 Send this review to a friend
Excellent full stop!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I use the radio all modes.
With the SCU-17 interface I get excellent results using the digital modes.
I once said that if I had to choose one radio? then it would be the FT450D.
However, I now update that to the 891 which is superior and more uptodate.

WD0FIA Rating: 5/5 Aug 29, 2017 03:14 Send this review to a friend
A real bargain!  Time owned: 6 to 12 months
I just bought my third FT-891 so all of my vehicles run the same radio. The FT-891 far exceeds my expectations. I went from running the FT-857, Icom 706MIIG, and TS-480HX to a single platform. The FT-891 outperforms all of them as a mobile SSB radio.

Clear, crisp receive audio, along with consistent comments on how well it punches through conditions drove me to replacing all of my current mobile radios. If I can hear it, I can work it.

For the price, there is no competition!

K7LZR Rating: 3/5 Aug 28, 2017 15:34 Send this review to a friend
Not really user friendly  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
This is a great rig in terms of bang for the buck. All mode, 100w, 160-6m coverage, small package.

BUT

This radio is quite cumbersome to use. To simply change modes for example, it is necessary to push a button quickly and then rotate the main tuning dial to the desired mode. And you must act quickly because if not then the radio will select whatever mode which you happened to land on. Dedicated mode button(s) such as found on the FT-817 and other radios are MUCH better and more mobile friendly.

Also, there is no convenient way to switch between USB & LSB. That setting is buried in an obscure menu setting. For those who wish to monitor HF utility traffic or perhaps switch sidebands in order to join in on the HFPack frequencies which mostly use USB due to the number of military surplus or "green radios", you can do it but not easily.

All in all, I find that this radio is way too dumbed down and clunky to use. It does have many good points but the band & mode change bit is just horrible. Perhaps Yaesu will rethink these things in a firmware update?. Lets hope so :).

N2FQ Rating: 5/5 Aug 13, 2017 09:18 Send this review to a friend
Fun Lil Rig  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
KE0EYJ has pretty much said it all. I'll add that it also comes
with a mobile bracket and I think you can extend the face plate
cable with CAT 5. Going price now as of today is below $600US.

I've had it a week and the display is much easier to see
than the 897 and 7200.

For cw I need the assistance of a Zero Beat. You can tailor
that big LED as a Zero Beat Indicator. You can spot easily
and if desired assigned it to one of those soft buttons on the
display. Love the APF and the Bandwidth, both also assigned to
the front soft buttons.

When I first got the rig, was not able to RESET it. It didn't come
back ON after a RESET. So I went over to the Yaesu site
and there is a updated firmware that addresses this issue.
Easy to download and update. Kudos to Yaesu for being on top
of things.

I can only relate to my cw operations and can't speak about the other
modes. There is an option for those who need to sent perfect
code. Under the KEYER TYPE, besides BUG; ElecKey-A; ElecKey-B,
there is ACS (Automatic Character Spacing).

All in all a fun little rig that you can carry with you. Much more
agile than the 897 and 7200. And no other options needed.

Fernando N2FQ