Reviews Categories | Tools & Test Equipment for the amateur radio work bench | Leo Bodnar Electronics GPSDO Precision Frequency Reference Help

Reviews Summary for Leo Bodnar Electronics GPSDO Precision Frequency Reference
Leo Bodnar Electronics GPSDO Precision Frequency Reference Reviews: 11 Average rating: 5.0/5 MSRP: $250
Description: GPSDO Disciplined Oscillator Precision Frequency
Reference, 450 Hz to 800 MHz GPS Locked, Low-Jitter Clock
by Leo Bodnar Electronics distributed by Airspy.US
More info: http://www.airspy.us

You can write your own review of the Leo Bodnar Electronics GPSDO Precision Frequency Reference.

K4TB Rating: 5/5 Oct 11, 2016 20:33 Send this review to a friend
Precise and Easy  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
For a long time I've wondered which of my several radios to believe, if any, when I compared their frequency settings while listening to signals on the bands. There's always WWV to compare with but that doesn't help in the VHF, UHF and higher frequencies. I decided I really wanted a high stability frequency reference like a Cesium or Rubidium clock or GPS referenced oscillator. I was also planning to add several pieces of test equipment to my home lab, such as a frequency counter and spectrum analyzer, which definitely can use an external reference standard for best results. However all such references until now were cost prohibited in my situation.

I saw the QST review on the Leo Bodnar GPSDO frequency reference and knew that unit would be the answer to my needs. I was not disappointed. The little box works quite well and only takes a minute or two set up and program. I bought the small GPS antenna with it and placed that on a file cabinet near a window and found that the GPSDO would lock to the satellites and start emitting the reference frequency(ies) within just a minute or two. I found I could program 10.0 MHz for one port and another frequency, like 46.0 MHz for the other port, and with a very small antenna on the second port I could copy harmonics up to at least 1.38 GHZ or more. That has been extremely useful in checking some of my radios. I also used the 10.0 MHz output as a reference for my new frequency counter and it apparently is dead on, at least as best as I can tell without having an even better frequency standard! I certainly have as good of accuracy with the Leo Bodnar GPSDO as I will ever need.

My only nit is that the programming instructions could be a bit better, but I was able to quickly learn how to set up the unit nevertheless. A little more explanation on what goes on with the LEDs would be desirable. Also, I note that the output from the GPSDO is more square wave than sine wave, which probably doesn't matter much, but just to be sure my test equipment would be happy I added in-line a miniature 10.7 MHz passband filter I found on eBay for about $10, and that converted the signal to a nice sine wave.

This certainly is a nice and affordable tool to add to your station if you need to insure high accuracy for you transmitters, receivers and test equipment in your shack.