Reviews Categories | Transceivers: VHF/UHF+ Amateur Hand-held | Baofeng UV-6 Help

Reviews Summary for Baofeng UV-6
Baofeng UV-6 Reviews: 6 Average rating: 3.8/5 MSRP: $<$40.00
Description: 2m-440 ht with 128 channels, CTCSS, DCS,
wide/narrow FM

You can write your own review of the Baofeng UV-6.

KG7OTL Rating: 5/5 May 14, 2017 14:08 Send this review to a friend
Great simple HT  Time owned: more than 12 months
Love this little Ht. I have 3, they all work as intended. Great audio on tx and rx. 5 watts vhf, 4 uhf. The power can be set in chirp and can be toggled high/low (1 watt) by press hold lowest button and monentary press ptt. It will recite channel info by, press hold lower button and momentary press center button. Changing channel group is done by, turn off, select group # with channel selector (group 3 = channel 3), press hold middle button, turn on, continue holding until it has beeped twice. Radio will report channel channel number which, in the above example, will be channel 35. It can be set to inhibit tx on any channel. In chirp set duplex to off. Also, I have had very good luck with the stock 7" antenna and a counterpoise. Great radio for less than $40!

VE5LPL Rating: 3/5 Apr 29, 2017 12:53 Send this review to a friend
Decent Radio for Lending to Non-Hams  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I bought 2 UV-6 radios about 3 weeks ago and have not run into and big issue, cons I found:
- 1 of the radios volume control gets abit stuck at about 1/3 to 1/2 volume
- Cannot completely disable aux buttons in CHIRP.
I don't have any significant pros however this is the only radio I've found to meet these criteria:
- Super easy to use.
- Cannot change frequency (except by computer).
- Dual Band.
- Preferably Commercial Grade rather than ham.
As these radio I bought I manly to lend out as GMRS radios but have the option to reprogram them to do any frequencies a ham might need, in-case I need to lend one out to another ham. I have them programmed for the 15 GMRS frequencies and the 16th channel set to 162.400 for weather radio reception but with duplex off if you try to tx it will just beep and not let you. They are ok with no real pros but it's the best I can get...(was going to buy TERA TR-500 but found on a forum[I think radioreferance.com] that they use the same radio chip anyway...)

KC5TNG Rating: 5/5 Feb 6, 2017 20:47 Send this review to a friend
Great Radio - Poor Manual  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I love the radio - however, the software that came with the radio is worthless. Miklor.com does have excellent software for the Baofeng UV-6R - it works like the original software was "Supposed to work but didnt". I programmed in all the repeaters I wanted without problems. The transmit audio is really good as well as the receive audio. It will crossband and it will "auto-ID" as well. I did replace the original antenna with a Comet SMA-24,thereby extending the range considerably.
The Manual leaves a LOT to be desired and as I mentioned in the beginning.;.The Software is Useless~at least with my Windows 10 - 64 bit computer. MIKLOR.COM has the correct Programming App for the UV=6R and it works easily.

KH6HOU Rating: 4/5 Oct 21, 2016 08:22 Send this review to a friend
Good for Simple Operation  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
Purchased a couple of these to use for hiking. I like the simplified operation with only 16 channels available at a time and a channel-change knob.

Transmit and receive audio are both good. The OEM antenna is better than the original UV5R antenna, but not as good as the NA701.I

Has basic bank and all scan capabilities. The front end doesn't overload easily, so it's useful in the city as well.

Bank changing is easy. Hold the PF1 button when powering up while setting the channel select to banks 1-8. 128 channels are available in total.

Programs fine using Chirp. Just read the radio and copy your channels into that template.

I program my local repeaters plus a simplex channel and the local weather channel into a bank for daily use. You can program skip channels for scanning.

For hiking, I program in simplex channels plus repeaters that cover the area as often cell phones don't cover our hiking areas. NOAA is a must when hiking in the mountains!

They seem rugged enough and it's nice to have cheap radios that I don't mind beating up so my Icom and Yaesu radios can stay at home.

W4KVW Rating: 5/5 Oct 19, 2016 08:43 Send this review to a friend
Does what is says it will  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
The BAOFENG UV6 does just as it was designed to do.If you Google a UV6 & check the specs it does not mention having a key pad or a screen of any kind.The HT has great transmit & receive audio on both bands.As with any item it's always good too do some research on that item before making the purchase. I have a lot of HT's & most of them are BAOFENG HT's & I have had no issues with any of them & the UV6 is no different.It's dependable & does everything that BAOFENG says it will do & it does it well.I would not hesitate too purchase another should the need arise.A good dual Band HT for the money. {:>)

KV4BL Rating: 1/5 Oct 16, 2016 16:13 Send this review to a friend
Piece Of Crap  Time owned: 0 to 3 months
I purchased one of these radios, which differs from other "UV6" iterations in that it has no LCD screen. I have heard one on the air which had good xmit audio and decided to try one out.

Unfortunately, Baofeng has created another piece of junk, this time which will not work with a 64 bit computer. I have a modern Dell which was purchased exclusively for programming radios but Baofeng either created the radio or its software where it will not communicate with a 64 bit computer.

As this junker has no keypad with which to program it either, it is totally useless to me.